Windows XP freezing after startup

I'm trying to fix a friends PC - it has both XP and Linux installed.
When booting to XP, it freezes after about 30 seconds, starting from
when the logon screen appears. It can just sit there, or you can log in
and let the desktop load if you're fast enough, but no matter what you
do, you have about 30 seconds before everything stops, mouse and
keyboard don't move a thing. If I boot into Linux, this does not
happen, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.
Any suggestions? I suppose there's always the standard MS
solution...reinstall the OS...for the 18th damn time.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows freezing startup

    If you get tired of running Linux in a multiboot setup, you can get Virtual
    PC 2004 and run Linux in a virtual computer. Over 500 Linux distributions
    have been tried with most working. That way there are no reboots and Grub
    can't do anything to your MBR to mess up XP. For VPC and what is needed to
    run it see:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    and for what works or doesn't work in VPC see: http://vpc.visualwin.com/.

    You can run as many Linux distros (SUSE, Red Hat, Mandrake, etc) as you
    want. If you have the memory, you can run several at once, all on your XP
    desktop.

    gregf@kcls.org wrote in news:1107467243.254741.43350
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > I'm trying to fix a friends PC - it has both XP and Linux installed.
    > When booting to XP, it freezes after about 30 seconds, starting from
    > when the logon screen appears. It can just sit there, or you can log in
    > and let the desktop load if you're fast enough, but no matter what you
    > do, you have about 30 seconds before everything stops, mouse and
    > keyboard don't move a thing. If I boot into Linux, this does not
    > happen, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.
    > Any suggestions? I suppose there's always the standard MS
    > solution...reinstall the OS...for the 18th damn time.

    what about safe mode ?

Windows XP