Updating BIOS on a Foxxconn C51XEM2AA mobo

ford30066

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I just recently purchased the Foxconn C51XEM2AA mobo and the Sempron 3000+. Foxconn's tech support told me that this mobo supports this CPU (the rep actually took the time to get the CPU and test it in the mobo and then called me back). The glich is that he is on a newer release of the BIOS than my brand new mobo. On the mobo that I just got, the system starts to boot - it recognizes the CPU, the Video, the Memory and then hangs at a boot code of 5D (this is initializing the super IO). At the bottom of the screen I see an option for pressing DEL to enter the BIOS. It will not enter the BIOS. So how do I update the BIOS on a mobo when I cannot even access the BIOS? Can someone please help me?

Just for the record: I tried a second Sempron 3000+, Another brand of memory, a different video card, a different PSU and still the same problem. Newegg even RMA'd the mobo, so now I have a second mobo with the exact same problem. At this point, the main differnce is the BIOS revision between the retail board and the tech support reps mobo.

ford30066

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Thanks for the links. I already downloaded the BIOS. I just can't flash the motherboard until I have a CPU that works.

From their FAQ:
You may need to use another CPU - one listed and which allows you to boot - to flash the BIOS to the latest version.

This is what I figured. It would actually be nice if the mobo manufacturers would use say a 286 (or similar) chip to allow you to boot for flashing the BIOS. Oh well. I will check with my friend at work and see if he will be willing to let me use his CPU so that I can update the BIOS.