Question about local security settings vs GPO's

When I start SECPOL.MSC on one of my XP workstations in my
2000 domain and I look at the local security settings I
have several items that are defined. For example, 'Load
and Unload Device Drivers' is set to Administrators.

Now when I run a RSoP on that same XP workstation the
computer setting is 'Not Configured'. No where in my AD
is that item defined. I was under the impression that
LSDOU (local site domain ou) was the way policies are over
written but if they aren't configured in the upper part of
the higharchy (an OU for example) then the lowest setting
wins. If that is the case then how is the local security
settings getting changes from defined to not defined?

Thanks.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:18:50 -0700, "Todd S" <toddflbass@{IHATESPAM}yahoo.com>
wrote:

>When I start SECPOL.MSC on one of my XP workstations in my
>2000 domain and I look at the local security settings I
>have several items that are defined. For example, 'Load
>and Unload Device Drivers' is set to Administrators.
>
>Now when I run a RSoP on that same XP workstation the
>computer setting is 'Not Configured'. No where in my AD
>is that item defined. I was under the impression that
>LSDOU (local site domain ou) was the way policies are over
>written but if they aren't configured in the upper part of
>the higharchy (an OU for example) then the lowest setting
>wins. If that is the case then how is the local security
>settings getting changes from defined to not defined?
>
>Thanks.

See tip 4252 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Thanks but I don't really see how that tip document helps.