Sign in with
Your question

Newbie here: Pick parts for me for a PC

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2007 7:53:19 PM

Hello there, new to the forum and all that. I am looking to put together a PC, and my budget is 2 folds:

1st budget: 350-500

2nd budget: 550-700

I'll need a dvd writer combo, network card/ modem in either one. Can someone please pick and list parts that fall into this price realm for me? AMD OR INTEL will be fine

cheers

More about : newbie pick parts

January 13, 2007 8:40:53 PM

hey, dont ask a question like that, i doubt anyone is going to answer you, do some research on this site and the online store, read and analyze some benchmarks in CPU and GPU for your budget when u have it ready, ask people what they think.

<http://www.newegg.com/&gt;

cheers

almost forgot, what are you going to use ur pc for? if its for gaming definitely build one, surf internet just buy a brand pc. GL
January 13, 2007 10:49:04 PM
Related resources
January 14, 2007 10:21:04 AM

It' going to be primarily for the internet, burning discs, and a bit of gaming. I don't want to buy a ready made one, cos some parts they install, you end up not liking

Quote:
hey, dont ask a question like that, i doubt anyone is going to answer you, do some research on this site and the online store, read and analyze some benchmarks in CPU and GPU for your budget when u have it ready, ask people what they think.

<http://www.newegg.com/&gt;

cheers

almost forgot, what are you going to use ur pc for? if its for gaming definitely build one, surf internet just buy a brand pc. GL
January 14, 2007 11:14:21 AM

That depends on what kinds of games you play. Board games = onboard video. 3d games = video card like 7600GT & up. 6600gt would be minimal. Pick the parts from the list above.
January 14, 2007 5:10:11 PM

You probably want to consider going with Intel's new E4300 processor. They are expected to announce it next week (~Jan 21). It's probably the best way to go since it will give you reasonably frickin' great performance for now.

But if after living with it for a few months you feel the need for greater speed (and don't want to overclock), you can upgrade to a faster Core 2 processor when Intel cuts their prices and introduces a few more new processors. This will probably happen sometime in May. And you should still be able to get a decent price for the E4300 on eBay because of its oc potential.

I realize you don't want to put off the purchase just because new stuff is coming out. Heck, new stuff is always on the horizon. But this is (another) non-trivial cusp point. If you have a choice it's worth sitting on your thumbs for another 2-3 weeks to see how the landscape shifts.

Here's a link to an AnandTech preview article FWIW:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300: Affordable and Highly Overclockable

-john, the cheapskate redundant legacy dinosaur
!