Newbie here: Pick parts for me for a PC

jacksparrow

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hello there, new to the forum and all that. I am looking to put together a PC, and my budget is 2 folds:

1st budget: 350-500

2nd budget: 550-700

I'll need a dvd writer combo, network card/ modem in either one. Can someone please pick and list parts that fall into this price realm for me? AMD OR INTEL will be fine

cheers

Danker16

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
hey, dont ask a question like that, i doubt anyone is going to answer you, do some research on this site and the online store, read and analyze some benchmarks in CPU and GPU for your budget when u have it ready, ask people what they think.

<http://www.newegg.com/>

cheers

almost forgot, what are you going to use ur pc for? if its for gaming definitely build one, surf internet just buy a brand pc. GL

jacksparrow

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
It' going to be primarily for the internet, burning discs, and a bit of gaming. I don't want to buy a ready made one, cos some parts they install, you end up not liking

hey, dont ask a question like that, i doubt anyone is going to answer you, do some research on this site and the online store, read and analyze some benchmarks in CPU and GPU for your budget when u have it ready, ask people what they think.

<http://www.newegg.com/>

cheers

almost forgot, what are you going to use ur pc for? if its for gaming definitely build one, surf internet just buy a brand pc. GL

akhilles

Splendid
That depends on what kinds of games you play. Board games = onboard video. 3d games = video card like 7600GT & up. 6600gt would be minimal. Pick the parts from the list above.

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
You probably want to consider going with Intel's new E4300 processor. They are expected to announce it next week (~Jan 21). It's probably the best way to go since it will give you reasonably frickin' great performance for now.

But if after living with it for a few months you feel the need for greater speed (and don't want to overclock), you can upgrade to a faster Core 2 processor when Intel cuts their prices and introduces a few more new processors. This will probably happen sometime in May. And you should still be able to get a decent price for the E4300 on eBay because of its oc potential.

I realize you don't want to put off the purchase just because new stuff is coming out. Heck, new stuff is always on the horizon. But this is (another) non-trivial cusp point. If you have a choice it's worth sitting on your thumbs for another 2-3 weeks to see how the landscape shifts.

Here's a link to an AnandTech preview article FWIW:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300: Affordable and Highly Overclockable

-john, the cheapskate redundant legacy dinosaur

TRENDING THREADS