Rollover Advertisements should be banned.

GaryManis

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Hello,

Why are rollover advertisements on your site? They bog down the Internet and are a total nuisance. The add on this page for Goldman Sachs opened a float-over window when my mouse accidentally passed over the add box. It automatically started playing a high res video and completely congested my 15 Mbps Internet connection. The video paused when I clicked the pause button. However, clicking the X to close the float-over shrank the window down to the add box, but resumed the video playback without the option to pause. I will now avoid Goldman Sachs entirely for the rest of my life. Who do I need to sue to get these things banned?

munz778

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

he never said he doesn't want ads. i say ads are great, provided they aren't hijacking your computer's resources and/or interfering with your productivity. rollover ads are another example, in most cases people hit them accidentally. that's totally unfair that they work on the assumption that there's a good chance the mouse will be on a certain part of the screen.

smukkkas

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
The video paused when I clicked the pause button. However, clicking the X to close the float-over shrank the window down to the add box, but resumed the video playback without the option to pause.

I'm going to add this link to the ones you might want to check out, too: Application It does a nice job breaking down what exactly it is, what can cause it, how to deal with it, etc.