Jan 14, 2007
I have...

XPS GEN4
PSU = 460watts
P4 3.73 EE
2 gigs ram
Dual Raptor HDD's
x850xt PE

Will this desktop be able to power an 8800gts. I've read a lot of different stuff regarding the power consumption, but I can't get a definite answer.

I'm worried at max load the PSU won't be enough, but I've also read Dell uses really good power supplies. Please enliten me on this subject!

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
We use Dells at my work. of all the components, the power supplies are the number one thing that goes out (mostly the GX260's, 280's and a few 520's). I have noticed on most of their rigs, the power supply included is "just enough" to power what they put in there. while it may run with a new video card, it probably wont run for long.
I am not sure about their XPS line since they are supposed to be gaming rigs I guess, but I doubt they would go above and beyond for those either. bottom line, with an 8800 a new PS is in your future, eother the easy way or the hard way. good luck!

Ragner69

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for all the replies! I have found one trouble some issue with GEN 4 XPS PSU the location. PSU is located in the bottom of the case not at the top if someone has a great link to great PSU compactable to this rig please let me know.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
location of the power supply doesn't matter for compatibility, but the dimensions do. and from the look of the Gen 4, it has been squished... is this it?
http://img.hexus.net/v2/systems/DellXPS/OpenB.jpg

now on this I am not sure on this so I would like to ask mpilchfamily what he thinks of these, but w/o chopping, I dont see much else with your case design. well, here is what I found:
http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-w099ru-250w-psu.html
leaves your primary power supply to power everything else as normal with 25A on the 12V rail for the vid card. pros? cons?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Ive got a Dell XPS Gen 3, which comes in the same case with the same 460watt PSU. I havent had any problems with my stock setup but I wouldnt try to install any card more power hungry than a 7950gt.

I think our computers have a non-standard PSU, it seems to be housed in the bottom of the case. Anyways it works well, if I were you I would just stick to a 7900gs for 155 after MIR or a 7950gt 205 after MIR. Both EVGA both at the egg.

G'day