Change Drive Letter of system boot drive

ak

My old C: Drive crashed and I replaced it.

O installing windows it got renaned G: and drive letters were assigned to my
other drives. I have renamed the other physical drives to be consistent with
the others in the office. (eg E: is always for data storage.)

Problem, I want the main hard drive on which the system is mounted to be C:
instead of G: so that the layout is parallel with the other computers in the
office too.

Windows Disk Manager says I cannot reassign the Drive lettter of this drive
since it has the windows system file on it.

How do I rename. Is there a utility that will do it. I have already
installed some software on the machine. Maybe I was supposed to rename via a
command prompt before anything had been installed (even windows). Even
partion magic says that reassigning the drive letter may cause my system to
not boot.

Any help would be appreciated.

AK

Hi,

You can't. The drive letter assigned the system partition is permanent. You
would have to start over, this time detaching the device that got the C
designation (usually a removable drive like a zip drive).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"AK" <*no-spm@sesct.rr.com> wrote in message
> My old C: Drive crashed and I replaced it.
>
> O installing windows it got renaned G: and drive letters were assigned to
> my other drives. I have renamed the other physical drives to be consistent
> with the others in the office. (eg E: is always for data storage.)
>
> Problem, I want the main hard drive on which the system is mounted to be
> C: instead of G: so that the layout is parallel with the other computers
> in the office too.
>
> Windows Disk Manager says I cannot reassign the Drive lettter of this
> drive since it has the windows system file on it.
>
> How do I rename. Is there a utility that will do it. I have already
> installed some software on the machine. Maybe I was supposed to rename via
> a command prompt before anything had been installed (even windows). Even
> partion magic says that reassigning the drive letter may cause my system
> to not boot.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> AK

ak

Ok Thanks so much

AK

In article <u#eXl4kCFHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Rick \"Nutcase\"
Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> says...
> Hi,
>
> You can't. The drive letter assigned the system partition is permanent. You
> would have to start over, this time detaching the device that got the C
> designation (usually a removable drive like a zip drive).

Partition magic might help. I had the same problem..it assigned F: for
my operating system..bummer.

ak

Nope. Partition Magic will reassign but it gives warning that Windows might
not boot. I gave it the "what the heck" and sure enough Windows did not
boot. I ended up doing a clean install of WinXP in which I deleted the
offending partition and formatted again (thins time with all pirepheral
drives disconnected) and the new install assigned the correct drive letter
C:.

Lucky for me I had not installed very many programs before I ran into this
"problem".

AK