Registry.pol error denies access to network users

Hi there

Every couple of hours we get this message appearing in the
Event Viewer;

Windows cannot access the registry information at
\\care1.local\sysvol\care1.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-
11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\registry.pol with (1351).

Subsequently users get disconnected from the server. Have
re-applied SP4 and checked for all the other updates.

The file registry.pol does exist at c:\winnt\sysvol etc
etc and I can find the entry in Regedit. However, if I
try to view/modify the lines in the registry I get error
messages preventing me from doing so.

Any ideas anyone? We're running Windows 2000 Server &
Exchange 2000. Single domain.
..
2 answers Last reply
More about registry error denies access network users

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:59:35 -0700, "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi there
    >
    >Every couple of hours we get this message appearing in the
    >Event Viewer;
    >
    >Windows cannot access the registry information at
    >\\care1.local\sysvol\care1.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-
    >11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\registry.pol with (1351).
    >
    >Subsequently users get disconnected from the server. Have
    >re-applied SP4 and checked for all the other updates.
    >
    >The file registry.pol does exist at c:\winnt\sysvol etc
    >etc and I can find the entry in Regedit. However, if I
    >try to view/modify the lines in the registry I get error
    >messages preventing me from doing so.
    >
    >Any ideas anyone? We're running Windows 2000 Server &
    >Exchange 2000. Single domain.
    >.

    When I type
    net helpmsg 1351 (tip 161 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com)

    It returns

    Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either
    because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.

    See http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=258960 "More Than 15 IP Addresses
    Assigned to Server Causes Active Directory-Related Problems"

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jon,

    Jerold has a great point here. Also, check the permissions on the SYSVOL and
    the POLICIES folder. I find that many alter these or have had issues i the
    past, which cause issues now. be sure to make sure that all DCs are
    available. This could be a DNS issue, either from the client's DNS ip config
    or hte server not updating the SRV records in DNS.

    --
    Derek Melber
    BrainCore.Net
    "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:59:35 -0700, "Jon"
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi there
    > >
    > >Every couple of hours we get this message appearing in the
    > >Event Viewer;
    > >
    > >Windows cannot access the registry information at
    > >\\care1.local\sysvol\care1.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-
    > >11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\registry.pol with (1351).
    > >
    > >Subsequently users get disconnected from the server. Have
    > >re-applied SP4 and checked for all the other updates.
    > >
    > >The file registry.pol does exist at c:\winnt\sysvol etc
    > >etc and I can find the entry in Regedit. However, if I
    > >try to view/modify the lines in the registry I get error
    > >messages preventing me from doing so.
    > >
    > >Any ideas anyone? We're running Windows 2000 Server &
    > >Exchange 2000. Single domain.
    > >.
    > >
    > When I type
    > net helpmsg 1351 (tip 161 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com)
    >
    > It returns
    >
    > Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller,
    either
    > because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.
    >

    > See http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=258960 "More Than 15 IP Addresses
    > Assigned to Server Causes Active Directory-Related Problems"
    >

    > Jerold Schulman
    > Windows: General MVP
    > JSI, Inc.
    > http://www.jsiinc.com