Registry.pol error denies access to network users

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 27, 2004 2:59:35 PM

Hi there

Every couple of hours we get this message appearing in the
Event Viewer;

Windows cannot access the registry information at
\\care1.local\sysvol\care1.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-
11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\registry.pol with (1351).

Subsequently users get disconnected from the server. Have
re-applied SP4 and checked for all the other updates.

The file registry.pol does exist at c:\winnt\sysvol etc
etc and I can find the entry in Regedit. However, if I
try to view/modify the lines in the registry I get error
messages preventing me from doing so.

Any ideas anyone? We're running Windows 2000 Server &
Exchange 2000. Single domain.
..
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 6:07:42 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:59:35 -0700, "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi there
>
>Every couple of hours we get this message appearing in the
>Event Viewer;
>
>Windows cannot access the registry information at
>\\care1.local\sysvol\care1.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-
>11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\registry.pol with (1351).
>
>Subsequently users get disconnected from the server. Have
>re-applied SP4 and checked for all the other updates.
>
>The file registry.pol does exist at c:\winnt\sysvol etc
>etc and I can find the entry in Regedit. However, if I
>try to view/modify the lines in the registry I get error
>messages preventing me from doing so.
>
>Any ideas anyone? We're running Windows 2000 Server &
>Exchange 2000. Single domain.
>.

When I type
net helpmsg 1351 (tip 161 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com)

It returns

Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either
because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.

See http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=258960 "More Than 15 IP Addresses
Assigned to Server Causes Active Directory-Related Problems"

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 6:07:43 PM

Jon,

Jerold has a great point here. Also, check the permissions on the SYSVOL and
the POLICIES folder. I find that many alter these or have had issues i the
past, which cause issues now. be sure to make sure that all DCs are
available. This could be a DNS issue, either from the client's DNS ip config
or hte server not updating the SRV records in DNS.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net

!