CPU problems :(

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Well everytime i try to play my game (wow or css) my computer would just shut off and sometimes restart. i already tryed a new psu, get the same problem. I checked the heatsink and it didnt feel hot at all. When i try to turn my computer back on it wont(attemps to power but just cant) unless i flip the switch of the psu off and press hard on the heatsink.

Turn the switch on , after that the computer starts back up normally. computer runs fine for hours , unless i try to get into wow and play it for like an hour. im thinkin that the cpu can process anything heavy anymore. temps read below 50 when i play so that aint the problem. if i try to run music and get in the game computer restarts(gets stuck in a loop) or turns off.

another really weird thing that happens is when i bump into the desk my computer is on, it either restarts or turns off. 8O Could the heatsink be comming out of place causing the cpu to turn off the comp?

System spec:

Dfi Lanparty nf3 350 gb socket 754
Amd 64 3400
Corsair xms 1.5gb
maxtor 80 gb harddrive
nec dvd rw
samsung dvd/cd player
ati all in wonder x800 xt
creative audigy z
fsp 400w saga
APC 200w ups

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
The psu i bought last week is new and it was recommended from the psu forums. I dought its overheating. (tested 2 psus same problem) I also ran memtest for about 10 hours got no errors. Comp didnt turn off or anything. Ill run prime 95 now and see how it goes.

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
The psu i bought last week is new and it was recommended from the psu forums. I dought its overheating. (tested 2 psus same problem) I also ran memtest for about 10 hours got no errors. Comp didnt turn off or anything. Ill run prime 95 now and see how it goes.

If you can get a couple hours no problems with Prime then that is good news, it could be your GPU overheating and giving a system crash.

Could be the problem but i dont think it would prevent the computer turning on after it turn off.

Im thinking now it has something to do with the cpu/Mb. There are 2 tiny lights on the motherboard . One on the top and one on the bottom. im assuming these represent north and southbridge respectively cause when i try to turn the computer on the top light lights up and when the computers turns off the top light is not lit anymore but the bottum one is.

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
There 3 512 meg stick with the same timing . Already tried each one individually each in a different dimm. Same result, nothin changed :(

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Huh, Found a screw jammed between the motherboard and case yesterday when i decided to finally clean it after 2 years lol. Maybe its gone cause i tryed to test it now lmao and nothin happened.

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Whats an ideal temp reading for a video card under stress? I have atitool installed and my gfx card is reading 90+ degrees ingame playing WOW.