Folder Redirection

Hi,
I started using GPO to redirect user folders to a shared
volume on a member server of my domain. I noticed though,
that folders for example MY DOCUMENTS disappear from the
local computer and is moved to the member server.

I had a problem lately from users telling me that their
clients has been disconfigured because of some reason
(they couldn't contact the DHCP), and thus they couldn't
see their own documents! Lately, I have some portable
computers as well.

Is there a way to keep the folders on the local computer
and mainain a fresh copy of the profile on the member
server contemporary? I need also to resove the portable
computer problem, as when users go home, they see nothing!

Should I drop the idea of using GPO FOLDER REDIRECTION and
use the USER PROPERTIES, PROFILE TAB, and type in the
PROFILE PATH \\MEMBERSERVER\SHAREDFOLDER\%USERNAME% ?

Thank you!

Ihab,

If your goal is to allow the users to access their work data at home, you
should use the Offline Files feature. This will keep a copy of the files
stored on the users' local machine so that when they take their computer
home it will transparently work for them. When them bring the machine back
to work the next day, their new version of the file will automatically sync
with the file server so that the server has the newest version of the file.
Offline files has many caveats and is not something that should be
implemented without through forethought and testing, though.

Adam Arndt

"Ihab Abedrabbo" <ihab17@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I started using GPO to redirect user folders to a shared
> volume on a member server of my domain. I noticed though,
> that folders for example MY DOCUMENTS disappear from the
> local computer and is moved to the member server.
>
> I had a problem lately from users telling me that their
> clients has been disconfigured because of some reason
> (they couldn't contact the DHCP), and thus they couldn't
> see their own documents! Lately, I have some portable
> computers as well.
>
> Is there a way to keep the folders on the local computer
> and mainain a fresh copy of the profile on the member
> server contemporary? I need also to resove the portable
> computer problem, as when users go home, they see nothing!
>
> Should I drop the idea of using GPO FOLDER REDIRECTION and
> use the USER PROPERTIES, PROFILE TAB, and type in the
> PROFILE PATH \\MEMBERSERVER\SHAREDFOLDER\%USERNAME% ?
>
> Thank you!

Hello, Please have a look at the User Data and Settings Management Paper you
will found out your answers and how the Folder Redirection works.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/user01.mspx

Have a nice day!

--
Regards