MIO 168 (navman) how 2 connect

a b F Wireless
April 9, 2005 9:09:48 PM

I received some excellent help earlier in this group from ChrisTH.
Thanks Chris.
I've got one more newbe question. With the MIO 168 I have not been
able to connect to the internet or print to my at home system. I did
get a great and free dictionary program installed (WordNetCE).
(I'm just pocketpc stupid, not pc stupid....
anyway, I've got a peer to peer at home that is
both wired and wireless. Works with my wired
desktops and 2 wireless laptops. I networked it myself.)
I don't really want to surf the web on my mio, but just want to know
how!! I bought a wireless sd card acouple of months ago with some
storage and couldn't get it to work although the card was recognised,
so I tried connecting with the active sync cable supplied, but with no
instructions and was not successful.
In a nutshell, do I need to do this with active sync running , do I
need some sort of network card...how can I connect though a broadband
connection running on the pc that is hooked up to the pocketpc? Just
get me started in the right direction folks. TIA
Ron

More about : mio 168 navman connect

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 10, 2005 1:41:51 PM

IF you have the SDIO Wi-Fi card, make sure you install the driver first,
soft reset the MIO and the plug the card. You'll have to enter the WEP keys
(if WEP is enabled on your network). That should get you connected. Some
cards may have problems with certain Access Points depending on options set
on the AP. You'll have to play with your own network to find the perfect
combination.

As for using ActiveSync, the default configuration on ActiveSync will allow
you to browse the Internet from your Pocket PC. Simply plug the cable and
you should be able to. If not, there are two things to consider:

- personal firewalls on your computer may blocking ActiveSync
- You have deleted a couple of configuration files on your Pocket PC. To
recreate these files, on your Pocket PC open File Explorer, browse to
\Windows and execute welcome.exe. Soft reset and try again (this tip is also
valid for your Wi-Fi connection).

I suggest you download VxUtil (http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html) and use
it to check the settings on your Pocket PC, and as a tool to make sure your
connections are working (use the PING utility).

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

<ronnospamholland@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I received some excellent help earlier in this group from ChrisTH.
> Thanks Chris.
> I've got one more newbe question. With the MIO 168 I have not been
> able to connect to the internet or print to my at home system. I did
> get a great and free dictionary program installed (WordNetCE).
> (I'm just pocketpc stupid, not pc stupid....
> anyway, I've got a peer to peer at home that is
> both wired and wireless. Works with my wired
> desktops and 2 wireless laptops. I networked it myself.)
> I don't really want to surf the web on my mio, but just want to know
> how!! I bought a wireless sd card acouple of months ago with some
> storage and couldn't get it to work although the card was recognised,
> so I tried connecting with the active sync cable supplied, but with no
> instructions and was not successful.
> In a nutshell, do I need to do this with active sync running , do I
> need some sort of network card...how can I connect though a broadband
> connection running on the pc that is hooked up to the pocketpc? Just
> get me started in the right direction folks. TIA
> Ron
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2005 12:47:44 AM

Mauricio-- I got it!!!! Active Synd has posed no problems. I already
eBay'ed away my SDIO card, but I might get another now. I appreciate
the help from you and all in this group. With the info received from
your reply to my post and my weeks of lurking, I have finally 'gotten
a clue' and am actually thinking on my own with my pocketpc. (BTW, I
have a physician friend from nz and he's one hell of a smart guy and a
very nice man. Well, I guess he's smart... we have a lot of hurricanes
around here and he likes to get on his sail boat and go towards them!!
I guess it's good that he's an er physician!!
Regards, Ron