Slow startup times; Event ID 100, Boot Performance Monitoring

mdpilam

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Yesterday morning, I re-seated my HSF and also installed an old DVD burner from my old computer into my newly built one (built on 11/6/09). It should be a pretty fast system (i7 920, 120-GB SSD, 6GB DDR3 OCZ Platinum...), and I was fine with the boot time before yesterday (though I think it was still closer to a minute), but after I started it up yesterday (post install), it took a long time to start up and seemed to hang on the "Starting Windows" screen. I've done alot of researching, and can't quite figure out what is wrong, though maybe it has to do with the DVD drive I put in. I checked the device, and it says it is working properly and it says the driver is up to date.

Here is one log from the Event Viewer:

Error: Event ID 100

BootTsVersion 2
BootStartTime 2009-11-22T21:25:51.609200200Z
BootEndTime 2009-11-22T21:28:42.481899100Z
SystemBootInstance 27
UserBootInstance 25
BootTime 95702
MainPathBootTime 76602
BootKernelInitTime 18
BootDriverInitTime 308
BootDevicesInitTime 68050
BootPrefetchInitTime 0
BootPrefetchBytes 0
BootAutoChkTime 0
BootSmssInitTime 5756
BootCriticalServicesInitTime 301
BootUserProfileProcessingTime 166
BootMachineProfileProcessingTime 0
BootExplorerInitTime 1367
BootNumStartupApps 13
BootPostBootTime 19100
BootIsRebootAfterInstall false
BootRootCauseStepImprovementBits 0
BootRootCauseGradualImprovementBits 0
BootRootCauseStepDegradationBits 0
BootRootCauseGradualDegradationBits 0
BootIsDegradation false
BootIsStepDegradation false
BootIsGradualDegradation false
BootImprovementDelta 0
BootDegradationDelta 0
BootIsRootCauseIdentified false
OSLoaderDuration 1023
BootPNPInitStartTimeMS 18
BootPNPInitDuration 68140
OtherKernelInitDuration 325
SystemPNPInitStartTimeMS 68459
SystemPNPInitDuration 219
SessionInitStartTimeMS 68685
Session0InitDuration 1403
Session1InitDuration 1109
SessionInitOtherDuration 3243
WinLogonStartTimeMS 74441
OtherLogonInitActivityDuration 627
UserLogonWaitDuration 347

This Error appeared yesterday in the log (though I just checked the log today). This error comes up as a Warning almost everyday in the event log (except 2 Fridays ago ?), along with Event ID 300 for most of the previous week.

Any ideas? The only thing that I can think of is to do a re-install of Windows 7 (64bit), but I'm a bit nervous about that.

Thanks for helping a noob.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
go into the bios, and change to boot order. more than likely, the dvd drive has been put first, change that to your HDD and it should take at least 3 seconds off your boot time, but if your drive is slow to register, it could take a lot more time off. otherwise, defrag and try again

mdpilam

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I now get another Error (one critical) the last two times I've re-started, Event ID 109; something to do with Marvell 61xx Raid Controller. IDK what this is...

mdpilam

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

I checked the boot order, and the recently installed drive is last (4th). Interestingly, though, 1st is "Floppy Disk", but I don't have a floppy disk. Then is my OCZ SSD drive (C: ), then LG Blu-Ray Burner (D: ), and last is BenQ DVD Burner (F: ). It also lists A: Floppy Disk when I go to My computer. What is this? I also have an external HDD (160GB Maxtor) (E: ).

Should I just remove the BenQ drive? Maybe the IDE connection is causing problems? I am a noob, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

csteins143

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I'd think twice before changing the boot order to the hard drive before the DVD drive. Should your system ever crash, it's nice to be able to put your "Repair boot Disk in and boot up your crashed system on it. This should allow you to access START, ALL PROGRAMS, ASSESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, and finally, SYSTEM RESTORE.
This would allow you to select an earier copy of your system registry and install it. Reboot and hopefully you will be back in business. Also a good idea to do Windows backups on a regular basis.

I was told one way to possibly speed up your boot process would be to clean out your Windows prefetch folder with the exception of the file named Layout. Delete all other files. Restart your computer (this time it will take longer than normal because Windows watches what is loading an puts a copy of the startup file in the prefetch so the next time it will have the load files quickly).

Over time and unistalling programs, these prefetch files may still be in the prefetch folder. Windows will still look at them even if there is no program in the computer related to them any longer.

Good Luck