Sign in with
Your question

Router reliability

Last response: in Networking
July 27, 2006 1:52:07 AM

Alright guys, I could use some help.

To start with, I would like to know if I set up a speed increasing wireless router, if, when I connect wirelessly to a 54mbs laptop, it will slow the entire wireless network to 54, or if I would be able to maintain the higher speeds.

Also, I'm debating between buying a linksys 54G or the Buffalo Turbo G, as well as the 240 MIMO router from netgear. I would like to know what everyone thinks of the reliability of these routers, and the answer to my first question will help me determine if I really want the MIMO routers or not.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is connect my desktop wirelessly. I do a lot of data transfers and downloads, as well as play World of Warcraft. I don't want to see my internet connection drag on my desktop, but it's not a concern on my laptop, which has built-in 54mbs. I'm trying to minimize my price otherwise I'd just buy the high end card for my desktop and my notebook. I'd just hardwire my desktop, but the problem is that the apartment I'm moving in to only has one cable hookup, which is in the living room, and I want my desktop in my bedroom.

So if I could get some information as to what you think of MIMO technology (and if it's really worth it) as well as the reliability of the buffalo products and netgear as well. I have experience with the linksys stuff but if it's worth purchasing another company's products I'm not against it, especially since I have heard that the 5th version of the 54g routers fail/don't work well.

Sorry for all that text =)

More about : router reliability

July 27, 2006 2:12:23 PM

Everything is measured by the weakest link.
July 27, 2006 10:30:06 PM

If you get one of those newer routers with SuperG, SpeedBooster, MIMO, etc your laptop (if it even works on them) will probably bring the overall network speed down to 54MB. Which in most wireless cases is fine.
You would have to have a 20+MB internet connection to notice any decline in its performance on a 54MB wireless connection.
Those extra goodies would only really benifit you if your internet connection was indeed that fast or you do a lot of network file transfers between computers (that also have those extras on their wireless cards or that are on a wired connection).
!