Why is everyone so down on the henchmen?

Last response: in Video Games
June 4, 2004 9:18:46 PM

I'm playing NWN now, without either expansion, and I don't find the henchmen
as annoying as I expected, based on so many complaints about them. I have
quick keys set to "Follow Me" and "Stand Ground" and I use them to either
make the henchmen return to me if they've gone too far, or stay put in case
I don't want them running around. This works perfectly and I never have a
problem with losing control of them.

And maybe on more of a personal preference note, I like not having to worry
about another character's inventory. That's one thing I enjoy about NWN, is
that I get to focus on my character alone. That helps me get into it more,
instead of having to micro-manage five or so NPCs as well.

More about : henchmen

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 5:29:04 AM

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm playing NWN now, without either expansion, and I don't find the
henchmen
> as annoying as I expected, based on so many complaints about them. I have
> quick keys set to "Follow Me" and "Stand Ground"

How do you do that ?

MB (Who is learning something new every day about this game)
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 5:29:05 AM

Manky Badger wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm playing NWN now, without either expansion, and I don't find the
>> henchmen as annoying as I expected, based on so many complaints
>> about them. I have quick keys set to "Follow Me" and "Stand Ground"
>
> How do you do that ?
>
> MB (Who is learning something new every day about this game)

IIRC, you right-click on the quickslot you want to use, then navigate to
"Assign Action" or something like that. Then choose whichever movement you
want to put there.
June 5, 2004 5:29:05 AM

"Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in message

> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm playing NWN now, without either expansion, and I don't find the
> henchmen
> > as annoying as I expected, based on so many complaints about them. I
have
> > quick keys set to "Follow Me" and "Stand Ground"
>
> How do you do that ?
>
> MB (Who is learning something new every day about this game)

Why do we get questions like this... Isn't this in the manual?
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 1:21:10 PM

"Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message

> "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in
message

> > "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm playing NWN now, without either expansion, and I don't find the
> > henchmen
> > > as annoying as I expected, based on so many complaints about them. I
> have
> > > quick keys set to "Follow Me" and "Stand Ground"
> >
> > How do you do that ?
> >
> > MB (Who is learning something new every day about this game)
> >

> Why do we get questions like this... Isn't this in the manual?

Do forgive me for not being totally familiar with all 81 pages of the
manual.
Pardon me for not being omniscient.
I'm sure. there are those who, like yourself, have NEVER had to ask help or
advice.
I suppose my question might be construed as a waste of bandwidth, but with
only three posts to this group in the last eight hours, I didn't think I was
being overly selfish. Obviously I was wrong.

In any event, to answer your question "Why do we get questions like this?" -
Isn't it what this newsgroup is for ?
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 1:21:11 PM

> "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
> >
> > "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in
> message
> > >
> > > "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > henchmen
> > have
> > >
> > > How do you do that ?
> > >
> > > MB (Who is learning something new every day about this game)
> > >

> > Why do we get questions like this... Isn't this in the manual?
>
> Do forgive me for not being totally familiar with all 81 pages of the
> manual.
> Pardon me for not being omniscient.
> I'm sure. there are those who, like yourself, have NEVER had to ask help
or
> advice.
> I suppose my question might be construed as a waste of bandwidth, but with
> only three posts to this group in the last eight hours, I didn't think I
was
> being overly selfish. Obviously I was wrong.
>
> In any event, to answer your question "Why do we get questions like
this?" -
> Isn't it what this newsgroup is for ?

Well you didnt go through the in game tutorial did you?? Blazing saddles
ahead huh?
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 1:21:11 PM

"Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in message

> "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
> >
> > "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in
> message
> > >
> > > "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > henchmen
> > have
> > >
> > > How do you do that ?
> > >
> > > MB (Who is learning something new every day about this game)
> > >

> > Why do we get questions like this... Isn't this in the manual?
>
> Do forgive me for not being totally familiar with all 81 pages of the
> manual.
> Pardon me for not being omniscient.
> I'm sure. there are those who, like yourself, have NEVER had to ask help
or
> advice.
> I suppose my question might be construed as a waste of bandwidth, but with
> only three posts to this group in the last eight hours, I didn't think I
was
> being overly selfish. Obviously I was wrong.
>
> In any event, to answer your question "Why do we get questions like
this?" -
> Isn't it what this newsgroup is for ?

Actually, I can't recall Insane Ranter ever asking for information that was
in the manual. Just that kind of person I guess. However he's (I'm
assuming he) been hanging around this group for a long time and we do get a
lot of questions that could've been answered much quicker by consulting the
manual or searching the google.com archive. You, on the other hand, have
only just dropped in and didn't realize what a cranky bunch of old farts
inhabit this group. For my part you may consider yourself both forgiven
and pardoned for everything except being overly sensitive. However, since
you're "manky" that might be considered appropriate behavior. In answer to
your original question, try clicking on the henchman. You should get a menu
that allows you to change tactics and right clicking will give you a circle
menu that allows you to give commands.

Windigo
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 2:49:31 PM

> And maybe on more of a personal preference note, I like not having to
worry
> about another character's inventory. That's one thing I enjoy about NWN,
is
> that I get to focus on my character alone. That helps me get into it more,
> instead of having to micro-manage five or so NPCs as well.

Good for you. Personally I like being able to adjust hench equipment, since
most of them are far below the capabilities given by their feats with
default equipment. Two examples: Daelan gets hide armor. Yet he can wear a
chromatic breastplate, which is much better. Tomi can dualwield, but has
only one weapon.

I'd love it even more, if someone came up with a way to control the classes
in which the henchies level up.
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 4:36:43 PM

> Good for you. Personally I like being able to adjust hench equipment,
> since most of them are far below the capabilities given by their
> feats with default equipment. Two examples: Daelan gets hide armor.
> Yet he can wear a chromatic breastplate, which is much better. Tomi
> can dualwield, but has only one weapon.

I suppose I wouldn't mind managing one extra person, which is what the
expansions let you do. But after playing BG1, and some of BG2, NWN is a nice
change of pace with only one character to deal with for the entire game.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 6:56:47 PM

"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> > And maybe on more of a personal preference note, I like not having to
> worry
> > about another character's inventory. That's one thing I enjoy about NWN,
> is
> > that I get to focus on my character alone. That helps me get into it
more,
> > instead of having to micro-manage five or so NPCs as well.
>
> Good for you. Personally I like being able to adjust hench equipment,
since
> most of them are far below the capabilities given by their feats with
> default equipment. Two examples: Daelan gets hide armor. Yet he can wear a
> chromatic breastplate, which is much better. Tomi can dualwield, but has
> only one weapon.
>
> I'd love it even more, if someone came up with a way to control the
classes
> in which the henchies level up.

You can do this, to a limited extent, in HotU (and SoU?). For example you
can choose whether the Delicious Drow goes up in Assassin, Mage or both, and
make the Kooky Kobold a better Bard or RDD. Just speak to them about their
training.

Hugh
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 2:19:08 PM

> You can do this, to a limited extent, in HotU (and SoU?). For example you
> can choose whether the Delicious Drow goes up in Assassin, Mage or both,
and
> make the Kooky Kobold a better Bard or RDD. Just speak to them about their
> training.

I'm aware of that. But still the class choices are fixed.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 2:19:09 PM

> > You can do this, to a limited extent, in HotU (and SoU?). For example
you
> > can choose whether the Delicious Drow goes up in Assassin, Mage or both,
> and
> > make the Kooky Kobold a better Bard or RDD. Just speak to them about
their
> > training.
>
> I'm aware of that. But still the class choices are fixed.

So?
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:13:22 PM

> So?

Nothing :)
That is the way the game is. I was merely stating that I like to have more
control.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:13:23 PM

Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:
>> So?
>
> Nothing :)
> That is the way the game is. I was merely stating that I like to have
> more control.

Yeah, but even in a game like BG2, the class choices are fixed. You can dual
class someone to something else, but that isn't always efficient, given
their stats.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:13:23 PM

> > So?
>
> Nothing :)
> That is the way the game is. I was merely stating that I like to have more
> control.

Over someone else's character?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 12:58:23 AM

> Yeah, but even in a game like BG2, the class choices are fixed. You can
dual
> class someone to something else, but that isn't always efficient, given
> their stats.

But you get to decide the second class in that caes, unless you have someone
who is already dual-class :)
Although in BG2 I prefer to go single class all the way. I like the powers
of level 30+ chars much better than dual- or multiclass ones. And multiclass
chars advance terribly slowly after 12th level.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 12:58:24 AM

Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:
>> Yeah, but even in a game like BG2, the class choices are fixed. You
>> can dual class someone to something else, but that isn't always
>> efficient, given their stats.
>
> But you get to decide the second class in that caes, unless you have
> someone who is already dual-class :)
> Although in BG2 I prefer to go single class all the way. I like the
> powers of level 30+ chars much better than dual- or multiclass ones.
> And multiclass chars advance terribly slowly after 12th level.

I never got that far, unfortunately. I'm glad to say that I'm enjoying NWN
thus far, though. :)
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 12:59:47 AM

> Over someone else's character?

Good point. Although in a single player game where only NPCs are affected it
shouldn't matter much if I personally prefer efficiency over roleplay,
should it ?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 12:59:48 AM

> > Over someone else's character?
>
> Good point. Although in a single player game where only NPCs are affected
it
> shouldn't matter much if I personally prefer efficiency over roleplay,
> should it ?

i guess it is a little pointless role-playing with yourself. But why not?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:03:57 PM

Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:
>> Yeah, but even in a game like BG2, the class choices are fixed. You
>> can dual class someone to something else, but that isn't always
>> efficient, given their stats.
>
> But you get to decide the second class in that caes, unless you have
> someone who is already dual-class :)

IIRC, there was no way to work at the class of any joinable NPCs in BG II.
The humans were either dual classed already at the start of the game (Imoen,
Nalia, Anomen), or the first class is a paladin, or the attributes simply
doesn't allow to dual class them.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 3:57:14 PM

> i guess it is a little pointless role-playing with yourself. But why not?

And that pretty much sums it up. It's personal preference, not right or
wrong. Hence it's not really possible to argue about it.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 6:41:09 PM

> > i guess it is a little pointless role-playing with yourself. But why
not?

> And that pretty much sums it up. It's personal preference, not right or
> wrong. Hence it's not really possible to argue about it.

unless you wanted just to argue... lol
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 1:57:42 AM

> IIRC, there was no way to work at the class of any joinable NPCs in BG II.
> The humans were either dual classed already at the start of the game
(Imoen,
> Nalia, Anomen), or the first class is a paladin, or the attributes simply
> doesn't allow to dual class them.

Possible. I never tried, so I don't know. I used my pretty standard D&D
Party: One Paladin, one Ranger, one Cleric, one Thief, two Mages.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 1:57:43 AM

> > IIRC, there was no way to work at the class of any joinable NPCs in BG
II.
> > The humans were either dual classed already at the start of the game
> (Imoen,
> > Nalia, Anomen), or the first class is a paladin, or the attributes
simply
> > doesn't allow to dual class them.
>
> Possible. I never tried, so I don't know. I used my pretty standard D&D
> Party: One Paladin, one Ranger, one Cleric, one Thief, two Mages.

Why 2 mages?

What woud your 4 party member party be?
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 1:58:15 AM

> unless you wanted just to argue... lol

I don't. Do I seem to ? :)
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 1:58:16 AM

> > unless you wanted just to argue... lol
>
> I don't. Do I seem to ? :)

Nope just blabbing away
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 3:46:48 PM

> Why 2 mages?

Simple: To deliver more firepower in the first round of battle. Two high
level area effect spells, supported by some necklaces of missiles on the
rest of the party can at least take out enemy spellcasters in the rear in
the first round, before they can do the same to mine. Three mages would have
even more power, but overall progress would be slower, since I'd have to
rest up more often with such a magic heavy party. I like to conserve magic
power when possible, having only my fighting types do the battle. Magic for
me is always the resource eating brute force approach.

> What woud your 4 party member party be?

Hm, if I went the single class route again, it'd probably be Paladin,
Cleric, Thief, Mage. But more than likely I'd dual-class with only 4 party
members.
!