Brand new notebook with constant beeping, assistance request

ProwessIntrepid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I just got a Clevo M570U. Heres the specs.

Core2Duo 2.33
2gb 667 ram
intel 945pm mobo
nvidia 7950 gtx 512vram
(5680 3dmark06)

Its basically my portable gaming machine. During the first install of winxp pro sp2, there was a motherboard constant beep. It continued throughout the entire install and even when I logged in. I restarted and it stopped. After another restart, it started again, with the caps/num lock button flashing. Sometimes I have to shut the computer down completely for it to stop and I can force it to start by pressing function f2 with turns on the fans while gaming. When I turned the fans back off it starts nonstop beeping and flash.

I have checked/removed the ram, taken out cpu, unplugged motherboard battery, reinstalled winxp, tried different outlets, different bios settings and now I am stuck. I figured this was the best place to ask for advice. Thanks

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Try a diffrent ram stick...also see if there are any temp monitoring programs in this setup...welcome to the flawless world of computers...goodluck

ProwessIntrepid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks, but I already tried different ram like I said in my post and the temp monitors are all in acceptable range.

This is actually only my third day with a windows based computer. I use macs but needed something for games. In the three days that I have had it I had to install the os 5 times and take the laptop apart 5 times at the request of the manufacturer. So far, I am not liking windows stuff at all. Its not good to have a gaming computer if it doesn't work.

ProwessIntrepid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
@beerman Clevo makes alot of laptops and companies like voodoo,widow, alienware buy them and paint them and then sell them. Clevo most consider to be the best laptop there is. And yes a laptop is a gaming platform, when you are on the move and need to play games. I can run Oblivion at 1600x1200 and get 60fps in the outdoors, so I would definately consider this a gaming laptop as it outperforms most desktop and is mobile. I also read review and this is consider to be the top laptop anywhere. The company I bought it from will next day ship me a new one tomorrow morning no questions asked (try that with dell or gateway!) and give me a free upgrade for my trouble. I just wanted to solve the problem on my own.

Tech support thinks its a short somewhere in the motherboard which is causing the problems but I still wanted to try and fix it myself incase it was something simple.

ProwessIntrepid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I don't want to do the work for them, I just dont want to have to wait a day to get a new one even though it will come with free upgrades :D I The beeping is nonstop with a halfsec break inbetween beeps (beep...beep...beep...etc)

I forced the fans on for gaming mode, fn +f2, and when looking under the laptop I noticed that the gpu fan is not working! The video card fan is just sitting there and I believe that is what is making the motherboard yell at me. It is detecting when I force the fans on, that one of the fans is not coming on.

I don't know what to do about that though, suggestions? What makes a video card fan not work properly?

ProwessIntrepid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
There is a break in between each beep not just after three. it is just continous beep after another.

The video card shows up and performs well in 3dmark06 and other tests so I dont think the whole card is fried, maybe just whatever controls the fan.

Thanks for the tip about building a gaming machine, but I need a portal gaming machine. The only desktops in my life is my 24inch imac. I would never use windows for daily activities, i used a stripped down version just for on the go gaming when I travel.

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Ship it back as fast as overnight will allow you(them paying entirely) ...contact the company that manufactured it and give them an ear full(act like your winning a oscar performance).All I know is a brand new unit would be sitting on my doorstep tommorrow,with a new perc(Ipod,external hd,etc.) for wasteing my time.End of story....goodluck.

ProwessIntrepid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
The company already agreed to ship it back for free, and overnight me another one with free hardware upgrades, so no problem there. They think that during transit something on the motherboard came loose. From testing it myself I think that the motherboard is not properly connected to the video card.

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Beautiful...Thats alot of hard earned money spent to not get the best service and interaction,on the lighter side you know your laptop from laptop to lapbottom...hopefully the second one has no issues 8O ....We are the almighty consumer and we deserve the best,if not we'll scour the internet and find someone that will give us just that...On that note the egg has stopped rma'n certain products that they once did,spoiled,greedy,and a few other choice words come to mind.Don't forget,we're the type of people that made companys like that...goodluck

TRENDING THREADS