Trouble oppening an MS Works Document....

Hi, my Dell computer was purchased with Windows XP.
I've been sent a phone list document written in Microsoft Works, which I
can't open. Document name is
bodemail.wdb. Any suggestions??
Thanks & Best Regards........................... <TOM>

Tom Massfeller wrote:
> Hi, my Dell computer was purchased with Windows XP.
> I've been sent a phone list document written in Microsoft Works,
> which I can't open. Document name is
> bodemail.wdb. Any suggestions??
> Thanks & Best Regards........................... <TOM>

Hi..

Was your Dell Computer also purchased with Microsoft Works?
If not - then you either purchase and install it OR you get the person to
save it in a format you can open the document in. Windows XP (nore any
previous version) came with Microsoft Works, Microsoft Office, Adobe
Photoshop LE, Corel WordPerfect, etc. That was all installed by the OEM
upon assembly/selling it or by the end user.

--
<- Shenan ->

Per Google, this is a Mace Forum database file, written (as you say) in
MSWorks. Have you actually fully loaded MS Works? if so, open its database
prog, open the file (having first detached from the e_mail and saved it to
Desktop or folder of your choice). Curious, that if you DO have MSWorks, the
file association hasn't kicked in to autoload it..

If you use Office, do NOT install MSWorks. RENAME the "saved" file by
changing the extension to "mdb" then just click on it - should open in
Access.

Hope this helps, Len

Tom Massfeller wrote:

> Hi, my Dell computer was purchased with Windows XP.
> I've been sent a phone list document written in Microsoft
> Works,
> which I can't open. Document name is
> bodemail.wdb. Any suggestions??

If you think Microsoft Works is part of Windows XP, sorry to tell
you that it's not. No version of Windows has ever included Works,
or *any* significant application software.

if you want Works, you need to buy it. Or ask your friend to send
the info in a format you already have software for.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Get MS Works or ask the sender to resend the document as *.doc format (can
be opened in Wordpad or MS Word).

"Tom Massfeller" <tomfeller@email.msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi, my Dell computer was purchased with Windows XP.
> I've been sent a phone list document written in Microsoft Works, which I
> can't open. Document name is
> bodemail.wdb. Any suggestions??
> Thanks & Best Regards........................... <TOM>

Thanks for all the advice, still can't open the bodemail.wdb document. .
- I tried changing to .mdb; no help.
- My Dell with XP does have Office 2003, includes Word but I don't think
Access. If I search for MS Works I get a list of
documents or programs but can't open it... it may not be fully
installed; not sure how to do that.

You have Ofiice 2003 disk? You probably loaded only part of the Office
suite. You now need to insert your Office 2003 disk into CD Drive, (which
should auto-run) and from the install options, elect to add Access.
Job done.
> Thanks for all the advice, still can't open the bodemail.wdb document. .
> - I tried changing to .mdb; no help.
> - My Dell with XP does have Office 2003, includes Word but I don't think
> Access. If I search for MS Works I get a list of
> documents or programs but can't open it... it may not be fully
> installed; not sure how to do that.

Only if he has Office 2003 Pro or above. Access is not in Office 2003
Standard.

"Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> You have Ofiice 2003 disk? You probably loaded only part of the Office
> suite. You now need to insert your Office 2003 disk into CD Drive, (which
> should auto-run) and from the install options, elect to add Access.
> Job done.
> Len.
> "Tom Massfeller" <tomfeller@email.msn.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for all the advice, still can't open the bodemail.wdb document. .
>> - I tried changing to .mdb; no help.
>> - My Dell with XP does have Office 2003, includes Word but I don't
>> think Access. If I search for MS Works I get a list of
>> documents or programs but can't open it... it may not be fully
>> installed; not sure how to do that.

In which case, insert yr MSWorks disk, and selectively install just the
database element ( I think that's possible).
Leave the file extension "as is". Works d/b prog will open it.
Thanks for correction, Colin! I'm using O2000 for my modest needs..

Sincerely, Len.
> Only if he has Office 2003 Pro or above. Access is not in Office 2003
> Standard.

> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>> You have Ofiice 2003 disk? You probably loaded only part of the Office
>> suite. You now need to insert your Office 2003 disk into CD Drive, (which
>> should auto-run) and from the install options, elect to add Access.
>> Job done.
>> Len.
>> "Tom Massfeller" <tomfeller@email.msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for all the advice, still can't open the bodemail.wdb document.
>>> .
>>> - I tried changing to .mdb; no help.
>>> - My Dell with XP does have Office 2003, includes Word but I don't
>>> think Access. If I search for MS Works I get a list of
>>> documents or programs but can't open it... it may not be fully
>>> installed; not sure how to do that.

yw