Trouble oppening an MS Works Document....

Hi, my Dell computer was purchased with Windows XP.
I've been sent a phone list document written in Microsoft Works, which I
can't open. Document name is
bodemail.wdb. Any suggestions??
Thanks & Best Regards........................... <TOM>
9 answers Last reply
More about trouble oppening works document

    Tom Massfeller wrote:
    > Hi, my Dell computer was purchased with Windows XP.
    > I've been sent a phone list document written in Microsoft Works,
    > which I can't open. Document name is
    > bodemail.wdb. Any suggestions??
    > Thanks & Best Regards........................... <TOM>

    Hi..

    Was your Dell Computer also purchased with Microsoft Works?
    If not - then you either purchase and install it OR you get the person to
    save it in a format you can open the document in. Windows XP (nore any
    previous version) came with Microsoft Works, Microsoft Office, Adobe
    Photoshop LE, Corel WordPerfect, etc. That was all installed by the OEM
    upon assembly/selling it or by the end user.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Per Google, this is a Mace Forum database file, written (as you say) in
    MSWorks. Have you actually fully loaded MS Works? if so, open its database
    prog, open the file (having first detached from the e_mail and saved it to
    Desktop or folder of your choice). Curious, that if you DO have MSWorks, the
    file association hasn't kicked in to autoload it..

    If you use Office, do NOT install MSWorks. RENAME the "saved" file by
    changing the extension to "mdb" then just click on it - should open in
    Access.

    Hope this helps, Len

    Tom Massfeller wrote:

    > Hi, my Dell computer was purchased with Windows XP.
    > I've been sent a phone list document written in Microsoft
    > Works,
    > which I can't open. Document name is
    > bodemail.wdb. Any suggestions??

    If you think Microsoft Works is part of Windows XP, sorry to tell
    you that it's not. No version of Windows has ever included Works,
    or *any* significant application software.

    if you want Works, you need to buy it. Or ask your friend to send
    the info in a format you already have software for.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Get MS Works or ask the sender to resend the document as *.doc format (can
    be opened in Wordpad or MS Word).

    "Tom Massfeller" <tomfeller@email.msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, my Dell computer was purchased with Windows XP.
    > I've been sent a phone list document written in Microsoft Works, which I
    > can't open. Document name is
    > bodemail.wdb. Any suggestions??
    > Thanks & Best Regards........................... <TOM>

    Thanks for all the advice, still can't open the bodemail.wdb document. .
    - I tried changing to .mdb; no help.
    - My Dell with XP does have Office 2003, includes Word but I don't think
    Access. If I search for MS Works I get a list of
    documents or programs but can't open it... it may not be fully
    installed; not sure how to do that.

    You have Ofiice 2003 disk? You probably loaded only part of the Office
    suite. You now need to insert your Office 2003 disk into CD Drive, (which
    should auto-run) and from the install options, elect to add Access.
    Job done.
    > Thanks for all the advice, still can't open the bodemail.wdb document. .
    > - I tried changing to .mdb; no help.
    > - My Dell with XP does have Office 2003, includes Word but I don't think
    > Access. If I search for MS Works I get a list of
    > documents or programs but can't open it... it may not be fully
    > installed; not sure how to do that.

    Only if he has Office 2003 Pro or above. Access is not in Office 2003
    Standard.

    "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > You have Ofiice 2003 disk? You probably loaded only part of the Office
    > suite. You now need to insert your Office 2003 disk into CD Drive, (which
    > should auto-run) and from the install options, elect to add Access.
    > Job done.
    > Len.
    > "Tom Massfeller" <tomfeller@email.msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for all the advice, still can't open the bodemail.wdb document. .
    >> - I tried changing to .mdb; no help.
    >> - My Dell with XP does have Office 2003, includes Word but I don't
    >> think Access. If I search for MS Works I get a list of
    >> documents or programs but can't open it... it may not be fully
    >> installed; not sure how to do that.

    In which case, insert yr MSWorks disk, and selectively install just the
    database element ( I think that's possible).
    Leave the file extension "as is". Works d/b prog will open it.
    Thanks for correction, Colin! I'm using O2000 for my modest needs..

    Sincerely, Len.
    > Only if he has Office 2003 Pro or above. Access is not in Office 2003
    > Standard.

    > "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >> You have Ofiice 2003 disk? You probably loaded only part of the Office
    >> suite. You now need to insert your Office 2003 disk into CD Drive, (which
    >> should auto-run) and from the install options, elect to add Access.
    >> Job done.
    >> Len.
    >> "Tom Massfeller" <tomfeller@email.msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for all the advice, still can't open the bodemail.wdb document.
    >>> .
    >>> - I tried changing to .mdb; no help.
    >>> - My Dell with XP does have Office 2003, includes Word but I don't
    >>> think Access. If I search for MS Works I get a list of
    >>> documents or programs but can't open it... it may not be fully
    >>> installed; not sure how to do that.

    yw

    > In which case, insert yr MSWorks disk, and selectively install just the
    > database element ( I think that's possible).
    > Leave the file extension "as is". Works d/b prog will open it.
    > Thanks for correction, Colin! I'm using O2000 for my modest needs..
    >
    > Sincerely, Len.
    >> Only if he has Office 2003 Pro or above. Access is not in Office 2003
    >> Standard.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >>> You have Ofiice 2003 disk? You probably loaded only part of the Office
    >>> suite. You now need to insert your Office 2003 disk into CD Drive,
    >>> (which should auto-run) and from the install options, elect to add
    >>> Access.
    >>> Job done.
    >>> Len.
    >>> "Tom Massfeller" <tomfeller@email.msn.com> wrote in message