Linking GPO from Parent Domain to Child Domain

Hi,
I have done some reading up on the above and it seems like
GPO can be applied to Sites, Domains or OUs. But it
doesn't mentioned about Child Domain.

I assume GPO created from a Parent Domain can be linked to
a Child Domain? And this can only be done by the Parent
Domain Administrator? Any disadvantage other than speed or
bandwidth performance?

Thanks.

Philip Wang

Philip,

You want to use a tool to save the GPO from the parent, then import to the
child. Try not to span domains with GPO links, causes some overhead and
network traffic not needed.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"Philip Wang" <genesis_beta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have done some reading up on the above and it seems like
> GPO can be applied to Sites, Domains or OUs. But it
> doesn't mentioned about Child Domain.
>
> I assume GPO created from a Parent Domain can be linked to
> a Child Domain? And this can only be done by the Parent
> Domain Administrator? Any disadvantage other than speed or
> bandwidth performance?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Philip Wang

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the advise.

Agreed, do NOT link GPOs between multiple domains; the reason is that GPOs
are replicated ONLY within the domain that they are created in. If you take
a GPO from a parent domain and link it to say an OU in the child domain, the
clients in the child domain will have to contact a DC in their local domain
to process their logon and apply most GPOs and then contact a DC in the
parent domain and possibly connect over a slow wan to connect to the GPO
files in the sysvol share and apply them.

Adam Arndt
"Philip Wang" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Derek,
>
> Thanks for the advise.