  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 5, 2004 4:39:01 PM

Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick and
disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests. So my
question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop Tomi from my
group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi back? Basically, I'd
like to know the order in which to do all this, so that I don't 'lose' Tomi
permanently, if that's possible.

Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still in my
group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get their quest?

Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep leveling up
to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I know what to do for
them right away?

Thanks,
John

More about : henchmen quests

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 4:39:02 PM

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:39:01 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
>henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick and
>disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests. So my
>question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop Tomi from my
>group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi back? Basically, I'd
>like to know the order in which to do all this, so that I don't 'lose' Tomi
>permanently, if that's possible.
>
>Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still in my
>group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get their quest?
>
>Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep leveling up
>to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I know what to do for
>them right away?

You must drop her to hire another to do their quest.

All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
again.

If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some
June 5, 2004 6:29:16 PM

"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p n04c0tmf3cmf50cbg3n2p8g7k48rfiipr@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:39:01 -0400, "John Salerno"
> <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
> >henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick and
> >disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests. So my
> >question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop Tomi from
my
> >group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi back? Basically,
I'd
> >like to know the order in which to do all this, so that I don't 'lose'
Tomi
> >permanently, if that's possible.
> >
> >Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still in
my
> >group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get their
quest?

> >Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep leveling
up
> >to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I know what to do
for
> >them right away?
>
> You must drop her to hire another to do their quest.

HER? Tomi isn't a her.

> All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
> level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
> Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
> again.
>
> If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
> 0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
> the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some

Be careful? What if you don't care for being evil?
June 5, 2004 6:36:56 PM

Loren Pechtel wrote:

> All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
> level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
> Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
> again.
>
> If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
> 0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
> the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some

So drop Tomi first, hire someone, get their story, drop them, then re-hire
Tomi? Do I have to keep paying each time I re-hire them?
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 6:36:57 PM

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Loren Pechtel wrote:
>
> > All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
> > level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
> > Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
> > again.
> >
> > If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
> > 0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
> > the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some
>
> So drop Tomi first, hire someone, get their story, drop them, then re-hire
> Tomi? Do I have to keep paying each time I re-hire them?

You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give you.

Windigo
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 8:00:44 PM

Windigo wrote:

> You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give you.

Thanks. By biggest concern, with all the hiring and dropping, was losing my
current henchman, but I guess you can keep getting them back.
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 8:09:33 PM

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 14:36:56 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>So drop Tomi first, hire someone, get their story, drop them, then re-hire
>Tomi? Do I have to keep paying each time I re-hire them?

No.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 3:30:30 AM

John Salerno wrote:
> Windigo wrote:
>
>> You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give
>> you.
>
> Thanks. By biggest concern, with all the hiring and dropping, was
> losing my current henchman, but I guess you can keep getting them
> back.

Yes, just hire them all, and switch between them based on the task at hand.

Devast8or
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 3:30:31 AM

Devast8or wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>> Windigo wrote:
>>
>>> You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give
>>> you.
>>
>> Thanks. By biggest concern, with all the hiring and dropping, was
>> losing my current henchman, but I guess you can keep getting them
>> back.
>
> Yes, just hire them all, and switch between them based on the task at
> hand.
>
> Devast8or

Thanks. Time to visit the Trade of Blades, I guess. :)
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 7:09:57 PM

Um..

> Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
> henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick and
> disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests. So my
> question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop Tomi from
my
> group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi back? Basically,
I'd
> like to know the order in which to do all this, so that I don't 'lose'
Tomi
> permanently, if that's possible.

Yes - order doesn't matter. Incidently, I found Tomi less useful later on
and took up with Linu whose healing spells are REALLY useful.

> Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still in
my
> group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get their quest?

No and Yes (unless HOTU changed this - I don't know because I've not played
the OC with HOTU installed)

> Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep leveling up
> to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I know what to do
for
> them right away?

Yes - but if you're already past the level at which they tell you stuff,
they'll tell you right away. I think it's the same for all of them, so if
Tomi's told you everything, the rest of them should too.

> Thanks,
> John

Remember to drop Tomi somewhere where you'll find him easily again - I used
the Trade of Blades or the Temple. When you hire a new henchperson, you
automatically drop the one you have - this is, I believe, the best way to do
it as the henchpersons eventually get pissed off at being told to get lost,
so to speak, and you can't hire them again.

Best wishes
Maxon
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 7:27:48 PM

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Loren Pechtel wrote:
>
> > All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
> > level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
> > Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
> > again.
> >
> > If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
> > 0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
> > the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some
>
> So drop Tomi first, hire someone, get their story, drop them, then re-hire
> Tomi? Do I have to keep paying each time I re-hire them?

Just to clarify....you do not want to "drop" your henchman, in other words
do not tell them to get lost through conversation menu. Simply, hire another
henchman and you're current henchman will wait for your return. To retrieve
your previous henchman, in this case Tomi Undergallows, just talk to him
again for him to tag along. Once you've initially hired all the henchman you
can continue to use them this way without paying gold as long as you keep
the items that they give you, i.e. tomi's contract, Daleans feather,etc., in
you're inventory. If you're going to use all the henchman I would recommend
getting them all to the temple, if you can, or at least in one spot, ie. in
the Trade of Blades, so you can easily get back to them when you need them
or to complete the quests.
Happy Hunting, becuase you do get some cool stuff from them, if just for
novelty sake. ;)
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 7:27:49 PM

QUINN R PAYNE wrote:
> Just to clarify....you do not want to "drop" your henchman, in other
> words do not tell them to get lost through conversation menu. Simply,
> hire another henchman and you're current henchman will wait for your
> return. To retrieve your previous henchman, in this case Tomi
> Undergallows, just talk to him again for him to tag along.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering about!
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 8:52:04 PM

QUINN R PAYNE wrote:
> Just to clarify....you do not want to "drop" your henchman, in other words
> do not tell them to get lost through conversation menu.

In the OC, at least, this works just fine. You can tell the henchs you
don't ever want to see them again and they'll still just hang around and
wait for you to come grovelling back.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 2:09:57 AM

While we're on the subject of henchmen, I'm just curious what everyone
thinks are the strengths and weaknesses of each. I just hired Sharwyn, and
it turns out I already had the item she needed. So I'm more or less done
with her, although I've kept her with me for now. I may miss Tomi's
lockpicking, I'll see about that. The half-orc seems good for power, and the
others I don't know too much about it. One's a sorcerer (which may be
redundant for my mage), and the other two I didn't catch what profession
they were.

John Salerno wrote:
> Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
> henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick
> and disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests.
> So my question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop
> Tomi from my group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi
> back? Basically, I'd like to know the order in which to do all this,
> so that I don't 'lose' Tomi permanently, if that's possible.
>
> Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still
> in my group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get
> their quest?
>
> Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep
> leveling up to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I
> know what to do for them right away?
>
> Thanks,
> John
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 12:21:03 PM

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 22:09:57 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>While we're on the subject of henchmen, I'm just curious what everyone
>thinks are the strengths and weaknesses of each. I just hired Sharwyn, and
>it turns out I already had the item she needed. So I'm more or less done
>with her, although I've kept her with me for now. I may miss Tomi's
>lockpicking, I'll see about that. The half-orc seems good for power, and the
>others I don't know too much about it. One's a sorcerer (which may be
>redundant for my mage), and the other two I didn't catch what profession
>they were.

Personally I've always gone with the half-orc. The AI is
far better at running a tank than a spellcaster and there are tons of
healing potions and healing kits around.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 3:07:08 PM

John Salerno wrote:
> While we're on the subject of henchmen, I'm just curious what everyone
> thinks are the strengths and weaknesses of each. I just hired
> Sharwyn, and it turns out I already had the item she needed. So I'm
> more or less done with her, although I've kept her with me for now. I
> may miss Tomi's lockpicking, I'll see about that. The half-orc seems
> good for power, and the others I don't know too much about it. One's
> a sorcerer (which may be redundant for my mage), and the other two I
> didn't catch what profession they were.

The last two are monk (Grimgnaw) and cleric (Linu).

I think you're right, the sorcerer (Boddyknock) will be a bad choice for
your mage. You'll want someone who can get up close and personal with the
baddie so you can stand at a safe distance and hurl your spells at them. Who
that might be is up to you I guess. Both Grimgnaw and Dealan (the halforc)
are great for that, but I think mybe Linu or even Sharwyn or Tomi could also
do the job. But I haven't tried it, I used Dealan as a tank for my archer
when I played the OC.

Devast8or
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 3:55:42 PM

Loren Pechtel wrote:

> Personally I've always gone with the half-orc. The AI is
> far better at running a tank than a spellcaster and there are tons of
> healing potions and healing kits around.

That's what I'm thinking too. Sharwyn didn't last long. All she does is
stand around casting spells that don't seem to do anything, then she uses
her bow from point-blank range, which gets her killed quickly. I finished
her quest anyway, so I got Tomi back for now, I've grown attached to him.
But I think I'll pick up Dealan soon so he can charge in their even better
than Tomi.

Do all the henchmen have come lockpick skill? I noticed that Sharwyn did,
but no disarm trap. But sometimes Tomi can't even disarm a trap, so I use my
familiar to bash it and set off the trap. Of course, I did this last night
and it killed him! But it still works.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 7:32:48 PM

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> John Salerno wrote:
> > While we're on the subject of henchmen, I'm just curious what everyone
> > thinks are the strengths and weaknesses of each. I just hired
> > Sharwyn, and it turns out I already had the item she needed. So I'm
> > more or less done with her, although I've kept her with me for now. I
> > may miss Tomi's lockpicking, I'll see about that. The half-orc seems
> > good for power, and the others I don't know too much about it. One's
> > a sorcerer (which may be redundant for my mage), and the other two I
> > didn't catch what profession they were.
> >

> The last two are monk (Grimgnaw) and cleric (Linu).
>
> I think you're right, the sorcerer (Boddyknock) will be a bad choice for
> your mage. You'll want someone who can get up close and personal with the
> baddie so you can stand at a safe distance and hurl your spells at them.
Who
> that might be is up to you I guess. Both Grimgnaw and Dealan (the halforc)
> are great for that, but I think mybe Linu or even Sharwyn or Tomi could
also
> do the job. But I haven't tried it, I used Dealan as a tank for my archer
> when I played the OC.
>
> Devast8or

I've used Grimgnaw with my Cleric and he pretty much kicked butt, especially
when you buff him up with spells like Magic armor, bulls strength, cats
grace, and owl's wisdom, all of wich he greatly benefits from for being a
Monk. The first time I played the OC I used Dealan for a meat
sheild....er...uh...mighty warrior for my rogue, he seemed a little weak at
first but was very sufficient later on, so you could try both and see who
fits you best, this was just my experience so far :)
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 8:49:34 PM

John Salerno wrote:
> Do all the henchmen have come lockpick skill?

Only Sharwyn and Tomi, though Tomi is better at it. Only Tomi has
Disable Trap skill. Sharwyn is a great backup for a melee type (my
paladin used her all the way through) for her buffing spells. For a mage
PC, you need more of a tank hench.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications
http://www.pyric.com/

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:16:03 PM

> In the OC, at least, this works just fine. You can tell the henchs you
> don't ever want to see them again and they'll still just hang around and
> wait for you to come grovelling back.

Right.
But you must *not* kick them off through the radial menu. In that case
they're gone for good. Hiring another hench or telling the current one to go
are both ok.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:23:55 PM

> The last two are monk (Grimgnaw) and cleric (Linu).
>
> I think you're right, the sorcerer (Boddyknock) will be a bad choice for
> your mage. You'll want someone who can get up close and personal with the
> baddie so you can stand at a safe distance and hurl your spells at them.
Who
> that might be is up to you I guess. Both Grimgnaw and Dealan (the halforc)
> are great for that, but I think mybe Linu or even Sharwyn or Tomi could
also
> do the job. But I haven't tried it, I used Dealan as a tank for my archer
> when I played the OC.

Tomi becomes great if you use the Henchman inventory and battle AI mod. With
better armor (Shadow Thieves one is great) and two Kukris he rocks. With
default equipment he becomes weak after Chapter 2. Daelan is a good fighter,
but his default equipment also weakens him unneccessarily. He'll serve much
better in Chromatic Breastplate and with a +3 weapon. One thing to keep in
mind with that mod is that only the currently hired hench will get
transferred from each chapter to the next with the correct equipment. If
you've re-equipped several henchies, then you must first take their
equipment back before a chapter transfer, or they'll lose it.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:04:34 AM

> Only Sharwyn and Tomi, though Tomi is better at it. Only Tomi has
> Disable Trap skill. Sharwyn is a great backup for a melee type (my
> paladin used her all the way through) for her buffing spells. For a mage
> PC, you need more of a tank hench.

Tomi lacks a bit in the disarm trap area. He regularly comes a few
skillpoints short for the most difficult traps. Not nearly as specialized as
a PC can be, with disarm trap always at maximum and the 5 points in set trap
for the synergy. The good thing is that nasty traps can be gotten rid of by
bashing the chest with a ranged weapon. Although the realism in breaking a
sturdy chest open with arrows is questionable.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:04:35 AM

Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:
>> Only Sharwyn and Tomi, though Tomi is better at it. Only Tomi has
>> Disable Trap skill. Sharwyn is a great backup for a melee type (my
>> paladin used her all the way through) for her buffing spells. For a
>> mage PC, you need more of a tank hench.
>
> Tomi lacks a bit in the disarm trap area. He regularly comes a few
> skillpoints short for the most difficult traps. Not nearly as
> specialized as a PC can be, with disarm trap always at maximum and
> the 5 points in set trap for the synergy. The good thing is that
> nasty traps can be gotten rid of by bashing the chest with a ranged
> weapon. Although the realism in breaking a sturdy chest open with
> arrows is questionable.

You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap? I
think I tried this and it didn't work, so maybe there's a more specific way
to do it? I still haven't quite mastered the radial menu yet.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:04:36 AM

John Salerno wrote:

> You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap?

No. If you destroy the chest with missile damage, the trap will be
destroyed along with it.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:04:37 AM

Kish wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>> You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap?
>
> No. If you destroy the chest with missile damage, the trap will be
> destroyed along with it.

So I'd have to keep attacking it until I destroy it? And I'm thinking I
can't do that, because of the D&D rules. I don't think I'd beat the DC to do
much damage.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 3:06:13 AM

> Kish wrote:
> > John Salerno wrote:
> >
> >> You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap?
> >
> > No. If you destroy the chest with missile damage, the trap will be
> > destroyed along with it.
>
> So I'd have to keep attacking it until I destroy it? And I'm thinking I
> can't do that, because of the D&D rules. I don't think I'd beat the DC to
do
> much damage.

Well, you can attack a trapped chest with ranged weapon but it usually takes
some time becuase it seems to me that most of the chest have some physical
damage reduction or soak damage.....so if youre gonna go that route youre
best bet is to hit it with a heavy crossbow with frost bolts, or something
with elemental damage added. When I played a Monk I also saved all the
"Stars of the Oby-Jo" (I think thats what they were called) that I found
(fairly often) and pretty much just used those to bust through trapped doors
and chests. Now on a side note, I saw a Druid buddy of mine destroy
practically a whole room of chests and such with his "call lightning" spell,
of course the target was a small group of zombies but the end result was
quite satisfactory. :)
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 3:06:14 AM

QUINN R PAYNE wrote:

> Well, you can attack a trapped chest with ranged weapon but it
> usually takes some time becuase it seems to me that most of the chest
> have some physical damage reduction or soak damage.....

Yeah, I'm thinking this isn't the most efficient method. :)

> a side note, I saw a Druid buddy of mine destroy practically a whole
> room of chests and such with his "call lightning" spell, of course
> the target was a small group of zombies but the end result was quite
> satisfactory. :)

Can you cast Call Lightning indoors, or was this outside?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 3:57:44 AM

> QUINN R PAYNE wrote:
>
> > Well, you can attack a trapped chest with ranged weapon but it
> > usually takes some time becuase it seems to me that most of the chest
> > have some physical damage reduction or soak damage.....
>
> Yeah, I'm thinking this isn't the most efficient method. :)
>
> > a side note, I saw a Druid buddy of mine destroy practically a whole
> > room of chests and such with his "call lightning" spell, of course
> > the target was a small group of zombies but the end result was quite
> > satisfactory. :)
>
> Can you cast Call Lightning indoors, or was this outside?

indoors...
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 5:18:27 AM

John Salerno wrote:
> Yeah, I'm thinking this isn't the most efficient method. :)

Well, if you're a mage, you need to see if you can take the Find Traps
spell. It not only finds traps (as per the description), it disarms them
too! Or, use the pixie familiar. Even better than Tomi at picking locks
and disarming traps, plus you can possess it and have better control.

--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications
http://www.pyric.com/

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 5:18:28 AM

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm thinking this isn't the most efficient method. :)
>
> Well, if you're a mage, you need to see if you can take the Find Traps
> spell. It not only finds traps (as per the description), it disarms
> them too! Or, use the pixie familiar. Even better than Tomi at
> picking locks and disarming traps, plus you can possess it and have
> better control.

There's a spell to disarm traps?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 5:18:29 AM

> Barry Scott Will wrote:
> > John Salerno wrote:
> >> Yeah, I'm thinking this isn't the most efficient method. :)
> >
> > Well, if you're a mage, you need to see if you can take the Find Traps
> > spell. It not only finds traps (as per the description), it disarms
> > them too! Or, use the pixie familiar. Even better than Tomi at
> > picking locks and disarming traps, plus you can possess it and have
> > better control.
>
> There's a spell to disarm traps?

yes. Go read the manual. geesh it's all in there. All the spells. GO READ
IT!
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 5:18:30 AM

"Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message

> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Barry Scott Will wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, if you're a mage, you need to see if you can take the Find Traps
> > > spell. It not only finds traps (as per the description), it disarms
> > > them too! Or, use the pixie familiar. Even better than Tomi at
> > > picking locks and disarming traps, plus you can possess it and have
> > > better control.
> >
> > There's a spell to disarm traps?
> >

> yes. Go read the manual. geesh it's all in there. All the spells. GO READ
> IT!

To be fair the manual doesn't mention disarming traps. It simply states
that Find Traps is a divination spell. It took me a while to figure that
one out when I first started.

Windigo
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 6:09:02 AM

Insane Ranter wrote:
> yes. Go read the manual. geesh it's all in there. All the spells. GO
> READ IT!

listen, i've read the manual, the entire manual, and i didn't see this in
there....excuse me for not studying every single spell of every single
school, especially ones that my character isn't a part of, namely the cleric
spell find traps...but this only says +10 to search skill, so how does that
help to disarm a trap? is there a disarm spell as well?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:59:00 PM

Just richt click on the chest, select bash and have a missile weapon in
your hands. it takeas a while but it works.

Kharsis

John Salerno wrote:
> Kish wrote:
>
>>John Salerno wrote:
>>

>>>You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap?
>>
>>No. If you destroy the chest with missile damage, the trap will be
>>destroyed along with it.
>

> So I'd have to keep attacking it until I destroy it? And I'm thinking I
> can't do that, because of the D&D rules. I don't think I'd beat the DC to do
> much damage.

Anonymous
June 8, 2004 6:21:18 PM

> listen, i've read the manual, the entire manual, and i didn't see this in
> there....excuse me for not studying every single spell of every single
> school, especially ones that my character isn't a part of, namely the
cleric
> spell find traps...but this only says +10 to search skill, so how does
that
> help to disarm a trap? is there a disarm spell as well?

Don't read the manual... it's only a brief description. (And after all the
patching, it is no longer accurate)
Read the spell description in-game.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 6:21:19 PM

KC Wong wrote:
>> listen, i've read the manual, the entire manual, and i didn't see
>> this in there....excuse me for not studying every single spell of
>> every single school, especially ones that my character isn't a part
>> of, namely the cleric spell find traps...but this only says +10 to
>> search skill, so how does that help to disarm a trap? is there a
>> disarm spell as well?
>
> Don't read the manual... it's only a brief description. (And after
> all the patching, it is no longer accurate)
> Read the spell description in-game.

Well, that requires that I find the spell. All I'd like to know is if there
is really a spell to disarm traps. But I guess you're saying that Find Traps
has been updated to do this?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 7:40:01 PM

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> QUINN R PAYNE wrote:
>
> > Well, you can attack a trapped chest with ranged weapon but it
> > usually takes some time becuase it seems to me that most of the chest
> > have some physical damage reduction or soak damage.....
>
> Yeah, I'm thinking this isn't the most efficient method. :)
>
> > a side note, I saw a Druid buddy of mine destroy practically a whole
> > room of chests and such with his "call lightning" spell, of course
> > the target was a small group of zombies but the end result was quite
> > satisfactory. :)
>
> Can you cast Call Lightning indoors, or was this outside?

Yes, it was in a crypt, if I remember correctly. This was awhile ago when
the game first came out so I could be wrong....
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 8:56:15 PM

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Barry Scott Will wrote:
> > John Salerno wrote:
> >> Yeah, I'm thinking this isn't the most efficient method. :)
> >
> > Well, if you're a mage, you need to see if you can take the Find Traps
> > spell. It not only finds traps (as per the description), it disarms
> > them too! Or, use the pixie familiar. Even better than Tomi at
> > picking locks and disarming traps, plus you can possess it and have
> > better control.
>
> There's a spell to disarm traps?

We eventually came to rationalize that the Find Traps spell meant,
essentially, "Find the True Essence of All Traps within range" and hence,
knowing them, they were disarmed. ;-)

Something goofy like that.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 9:31:11 PM

John Salerno wrote:
> But I guess you're saying that Find Traps
> has been updated to do this?

Yes. It finds and disarms traps. Ignore the descriptions of the spell.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications
http://www.pyric.com/

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 9:31:12 PM

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>> But I guess you're saying that Find Traps
>> has been updated to do this?
>

> Yes. It finds and disarms traps. Ignore the descriptions of the spell.

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 10:39:19 PM

ABadeaux wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Barry Scott Will wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, if you're a mage, you need to see if you can take the Find
>>> Traps spell. It not only finds traps (as per the description), it
>>> disarms them too! Or, use the pixie familiar. Even better than Tomi
>>> at picking locks and disarming traps, plus you can possess it and
>>> have better control.
>>
>> There's a spell to disarm traps?
>
> We eventually came to rationalize that the Find Traps spell meant,
> essentially, "Find the True Essence of All Traps within range" and
> hence, knowing them, they were disarmed. ;-)
>
> Something goofy like that.

lol, thank works... :)
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 10:56:52 PM

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:44:56 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap? I
>think I tried this and it didn't work, so maybe there's a more specific way
>to do it? I still haven't quite mastered the radial menu yet.

No. You can't set off the trap that way. You can destroy the
chest that way, though, rendering the trap moot.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 1:59:31 AM

John Salerno wrote:
> ABadeaux wrote:
>> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> There's a spell to disarm traps?
>>
>> We eventually came to rationalize that the Find Traps spell meant,
>> essentially, "Find the True Essence of All Traps within range" and
>> hence, knowing them, they were disarmed. ;-)
>>
>> Something goofy like that.
>
> lol, thank works... :)

err, *that* works...
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 2:49:45 AM

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:44:56 -0400, "John Salerno"
> <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap? I
> >think I tried this and it didn't work, so maybe there's a more specific
way
> >to do it? I still haven't quite mastered the radial menu yet.
>
> No. You can't set off the trap that way. You can destroy the
> chest that way, though, rendering the trap moot.

Maybe you could if they were a script......

Where's the ten-foot pole when you need it?
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 11:22:41 AM

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 16:00:44 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Windigo wrote:
>
>> You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give you.
>
>Thanks. By biggest concern, with all the hiring and dropping, was losing my
>current henchman, but I guess you can keep getting them back.

Finding out the answer to questions such as this is what "save game"
is for. Save; try; reload if you don't like the answer.

Cheers - Ian
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 11:22:42 AM

<Ian Noble> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 16:00:44 -0400, "John Salerno"
> <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Windigo wrote:
> >
> >> You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give you.
> >
> >Thanks. By biggest concern, with all the hiring and dropping, was losing
my
> >current henchman, but I guess you can keep getting them back.
> >
> Finding out the answer to questions such as this is what "save game"
> is for. Save; try; reload if you don't like the answer.

There's a small section of people that would call this cheating
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 12:49:46 PM

Ian Noble wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 16:00:44 -0400, "John Salerno"
> <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Windigo wrote:
>>
>>> You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give
>>> you.
>>
>> Thanks. By biggest concern, with all the hiring and dropping, was
>> losing my current henchman, but I guess you can keep getting them
>> back.
>>
> Finding out the answer to questions such as this is what "save game"
> is for. Save; try; reload if you don't like the answer.

The reason I *didn't* try this is because I didn't want there to be some
negative effect somewhere down the road. Like if I do it too much then
they'll leave permanently, which I can't know from saving and reloading
once.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 6:07:18 PM

> Where's the ten-foot pole when you need it?

Forget the pole. Use Nodwick ;-) and remember to bring sufficient duck
tapes!
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 6:07:19 PM

"KC Wong" <my@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Where's the ten-foot pole when you need it?
>
> Forget the pole. Use Nodwick ;-) and remember to bring sufficient duck
> tapes!

Tossing the halfling down the corridor also works wonders
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 6:23:24 PM

Insane Ranter wrote:
> <Ian Noble> wrote in message

>>Finding out the answer to questions such as this is what "save game"
>>is for. Save; try; reload if you don't like the answer.
>

> There's a small section of people that would call this cheating

I'd think most of that same section of people would call getting the
information from someone else who'd already played thru it cheating as
well...

But its funny how some people draw ethical lines that allow seemingly
similar activities to split along cheating and "just looking for help"

I actually think its less "cheaty" to use the save and reload method to
learn something for myself than to ask for help. Not that I'm averse to
either, but I try to go the least cheaty way first.

I also have a strong tendancy to not go back to the save game if what
I've done wrong wasn't catastrophically bad, particularly if it seems
like it would be an in character misunderstanding. I -do- go back if
something isn't doing what I thought it was doing, though.

In this case, for example, I'd save, drop Tomi, get henchman B, then
drop her, and try to get Tomi back; if I was unable to do so, I'd go
back to the save game, because I'd consider that a game mechanic problem.

But if, for example, I choose to say something to Tomi that pissed him
off so much he left and wouldn't return, I'd probably do the rest of the
module without him, because -that- mistake was one I'd made in character.

Lance
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest