Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick and
disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests. So my
question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop Tomi from my
group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi back? Basically, I'd
like to know the order in which to do all this, so that I don't 'lose' Tomi
permanently, if that's possible.

Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still in my
group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get their quest?

Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep leveling up
to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I know what to do for
them right away?

Thanks,
John

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:39:01 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
>henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick and
>disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests. So my
>question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop Tomi from my
>group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi back? Basically, I'd
>like to know the order in which to do all this, so that I don't 'lose' Tomi
>permanently, if that's possible.
>
>Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still in my
>group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get their quest?
>
>Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep leveling up
>to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I know what to do for
>them right away?

You must drop her to hire another to do their quest.

All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
again.

If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some

"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:39:01 -0400, "John Salerno"
> <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
> >henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick and
> >disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests. So my
> >question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop Tomi from
my
> >group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi back? Basically,
I'd
> >like to know the order in which to do all this, so that I don't 'lose'
Tomi
> >permanently, if that's possible.
> >
> >Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still in
my
> >group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get their
quest?

> >Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep leveling
up
> >to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I know what to do
for
> >them right away?
>
> You must drop her to hire another to do their quest.

HER? Tomi isn't a her.

> All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
> level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
> Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
> again.
>
> If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
> 0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
> the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some

Be careful? What if you don't care for being evil?

Loren Pechtel wrote:

> All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
> level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
> Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
> again.
>
> If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
> 0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
> the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some

So drop Tomi first, hire someone, get their story, drop them, then re-hire
Tomi? Do I have to keep paying each time I re-hire them?

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Loren Pechtel wrote:
>
> > All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
> > level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
> > Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
> > again.
> >
> > If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
> > 0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
> > the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some
>
> So drop Tomi first, hire someone, get their story, drop them, then re-hire
> Tomi? Do I have to keep paying each time I re-hire them?

You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give you.

Windigo

Windigo wrote:

> You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give you.

Thanks. By biggest concern, with all the hiring and dropping, was losing my
current henchman, but I guess you can keep getting them back.

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 14:36:56 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>So drop Tomi first, hire someone, get their story, drop them, then re-hire
>Tomi? Do I have to keep paying each time I re-hire them?

No.

John Salerno wrote:
> Windigo wrote:
>
>> You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give
>> you.
>
> Thanks. By biggest concern, with all the hiring and dropping, was
> losing my current henchman, but I guess you can keep getting them
> back.

Yes, just hire them all, and switch between them based on the task at hand.

Devast8or

Devast8or wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>> Windigo wrote:
>>
>>> You only have to pay once but be sure to keep the token they give
>>> you.
>>
>> Thanks. By biggest concern, with all the hiring and dropping, was
>> losing my current henchman, but I guess you can keep getting them
>> back.
>
> Yes, just hire them all, and switch between them based on the task at
> hand.
>
> Devast8or

Thanks. Time to visit the Trade of Blades, I guess. :)

Um..

> Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
> henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick and
> disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests. So my
> question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop Tomi from
my
> group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi back? Basically,
I'd
> like to know the order in which to do all this, so that I don't 'lose'
Tomi
> permanently, if that's possible.

Yes - order doesn't matter. Incidently, I found Tomi less useful later on
and took up with Linu whose healing spells are REALLY useful.

> Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still in
my
> group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get their quest?

No and Yes (unless HOTU changed this - I don't know because I've not played
the OC with HOTU installed)

> Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep leveling up
> to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I know what to do
for
> them right away?

Yes - but if you're already past the level at which they tell you stuff,
they'll tell you right away. I think it's the same for all of them, so if
Tomi's told you everything, the rest of them should too.

> Thanks,
> John

Remember to drop Tomi somewhere where you'll find him easily again - I used
the Trade of Blades or the Temple. When you hire a new henchperson, you
automatically drop the one you have - this is, I believe, the best way to do
it as the henchpersons eventually get pissed off at being told to get lost,
so to speak, and you can't hire them again.

Best wishes
Maxon

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Loren Pechtel wrote:
>
> > All of them take time to develop but it's based on your
> > level--you can only get what you are of a high enough level to get.
> > Thus when they say they've said enough for now just talk to them
> > again.
> >
> > If you pick up everything and make sure not to drop any
> > 0gp items you'll have the item. Just go hire them, talk, give them
> > the item and then drop them again. Careful with Grimgaw, some
>
> So drop Tomi first, hire someone, get their story, drop them, then re-hire
> Tomi? Do I have to keep paying each time I re-hire them?

Just to clarify....you do not want to "drop" your henchman, in other words
do not tell them to get lost through conversation menu. Simply, hire another
henchman and you're current henchman will wait for your return. To retrieve
your previous henchman, in this case Tomi Undergallows, just talk to him
again for him to tag along. Once you've initially hired all the henchman you
can continue to use them this way without paying gold as long as you keep
the items that they give you, i.e. tomi's contract, Daleans feather,etc., in
you're inventory. If you're going to use all the henchman I would recommend
getting them all to the temple, if you can, or at least in one spot, ie. in
the Trade of Blades, so you can easily get back to them when you need them
or to complete the quests.
Happy Hunting, becuase you do get some cool stuff from them, if just for
novelty sake. ;)

QUINN R PAYNE wrote:
> Just to clarify....you do not want to "drop" your henchman, in other
> words do not tell them to get lost through conversation menu. Simply,
> hire another henchman and you're current henchman will wait for your
> return. To retrieve your previous henchman, in this case Tomi
> Undergallows, just talk to him again for him to tag along.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering about!

QUINN R PAYNE wrote:
> Just to clarify....you do not want to "drop" your henchman, in other words
> do not tell them to get lost through conversation menu.

In the OC, at least, this works just fine. You can tell the henchs you
don't ever want to see them again and they'll still just hang around and
wait for you to come grovelling back.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

While we're on the subject of henchmen, I'm just curious what everyone
thinks are the strengths and weaknesses of each. I just hired Sharwyn, and
it turns out I already had the item she needed. So I'm more or less done
with her, although I've kept her with me for now. I may miss Tomi's
lockpicking, I'll see about that. The half-orc seems good for power, and the
others I don't know too much about it. One's a sorcerer (which may be
redundant for my mage), and the other two I didn't catch what profession
they were.

John Salerno wrote:
> Ok, I want to make sure I do this right without screwing up my current
> henchman. I have Tomi, and I plan to stick with him for his lockpick
> and disarm abilities, but I'd like to do the other henchmen quests.
> So my question is, how exactly do I go about this? Do I need to drop
> Tomi from my group, hire someone else, drop them, and then get Tomi
> back? Basically, I'd like to know the order in which to do all this,
> so that I don't 'lose' Tomi permanently, if that's possible.
>
> Is it possible to get the other henchmen's quests while Tomi is still
> in my group, or do they each have to join me in order for me to get
> their quest?
>
> Finally, Tomi's story took a while to develop (you had to keep
> leveling up to hear more of it). Are the others this way? Or will I
> know what to do for them right away?
>
> Thanks,
> John

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 22:09:57 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>While we're on the subject of henchmen, I'm just curious what everyone
>thinks are the strengths and weaknesses of each. I just hired Sharwyn, and
>it turns out I already had the item she needed. So I'm more or less done
>with her, although I've kept her with me for now. I may miss Tomi's
>lockpicking, I'll see about that. The half-orc seems good for power, and the
>others I don't know too much about it. One's a sorcerer (which may be
>redundant for my mage), and the other two I didn't catch what profession
>they were.

Personally I've always gone with the half-orc. The AI is
far better at running a tank than a spellcaster and there are tons of
healing potions and healing kits around.

John Salerno wrote:
> While we're on the subject of henchmen, I'm just curious what everyone
> thinks are the strengths and weaknesses of each. I just hired
> Sharwyn, and it turns out I already had the item she needed. So I'm
> more or less done with her, although I've kept her with me for now. I
> may miss Tomi's lockpicking, I'll see about that. The half-orc seems
> good for power, and the others I don't know too much about it. One's
> a sorcerer (which may be redundant for my mage), and the other two I
> didn't catch what profession they were.

The last two are monk (Grimgnaw) and cleric (Linu).

I think you're right, the sorcerer (Boddyknock) will be a bad choice for
your mage. You'll want someone who can get up close and personal with the
baddie so you can stand at a safe distance and hurl your spells at them. Who
that might be is up to you I guess. Both Grimgnaw and Dealan (the halforc)
are great for that, but I think mybe Linu or even Sharwyn or Tomi could also
do the job. But I haven't tried it, I used Dealan as a tank for my archer
when I played the OC.

Devast8or

Loren Pechtel wrote:

> Personally I've always gone with the half-orc. The AI is
> far better at running a tank than a spellcaster and there are tons of
> healing potions and healing kits around.

That's what I'm thinking too. Sharwyn didn't last long. All she does is
stand around casting spells that don't seem to do anything, then she uses
her bow from point-blank range, which gets her killed quickly. I finished
her quest anyway, so I got Tomi back for now, I've grown attached to him.
But I think I'll pick up Dealan soon so he can charge in their even better
than Tomi.

Do all the henchmen have come lockpick skill? I noticed that Sharwyn did,
but no disarm trap. But sometimes Tomi can't even disarm a trap, so I use my
familiar to bash it and set off the trap. Of course, I did this last night
and it killed him! But it still works.

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> John Salerno wrote:
> > While we're on the subject of henchmen, I'm just curious what everyone
> > thinks are the strengths and weaknesses of each. I just hired
> > Sharwyn, and it turns out I already had the item she needed. So I'm
> > more or less done with her, although I've kept her with me for now. I
> > may miss Tomi's lockpicking, I'll see about that. The half-orc seems
> > good for power, and the others I don't know too much about it. One's
> > a sorcerer (which may be redundant for my mage), and the other two I
> > didn't catch what profession they were.
> >

> The last two are monk (Grimgnaw) and cleric (Linu).
>
> I think you're right, the sorcerer (Boddyknock) will be a bad choice for
> your mage. You'll want someone who can get up close and personal with the
> baddie so you can stand at a safe distance and hurl your spells at them.
Who
> that might be is up to you I guess. Both Grimgnaw and Dealan (the halforc)
> are great for that, but I think mybe Linu or even Sharwyn or Tomi could
also
> do the job. But I haven't tried it, I used Dealan as a tank for my archer
> when I played the OC.
>
> Devast8or

I've used Grimgnaw with my Cleric and he pretty much kicked butt, especially
when you buff him up with spells like Magic armor, bulls strength, cats
grace, and owl's wisdom, all of wich he greatly benefits from for being a
Monk. The first time I played the OC I used Dealan for a meat
sheild....er...uh...mighty warrior for my rogue, he seemed a little weak at
first but was very sufficient later on, so you could try both and see who
fits you best, this was just my experience so far :)

John Salerno wrote:
> Do all the henchmen have come lockpick skill?

Only Sharwyn and Tomi, though Tomi is better at it. Only Tomi has
Disable Trap skill. Sharwyn is a great backup for a melee type (my
paladin used her all the way through) for her buffing spells. For a mage
PC, you need more of a tank hench.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications
http://www.pyric.com/

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

> In the OC, at least, this works just fine. You can tell the henchs you
> don't ever want to see them again and they'll still just hang around and
> wait for you to come grovelling back.

Right.
But you must *not* kick them off through the radial menu. In that case
they're gone for good. Hiring another hench or telling the current one to go
are both ok.

> The last two are monk (Grimgnaw) and cleric (Linu).
>
> I think you're right, the sorcerer (Boddyknock) will be a bad choice for
> your mage. You'll want someone who can get up close and personal with the
> baddie so you can stand at a safe distance and hurl your spells at them.
Who
> that might be is up to you I guess. Both Grimgnaw and Dealan (the halforc)
> are great for that, but I think mybe Linu or even Sharwyn or Tomi could
also
> do the job. But I haven't tried it, I used Dealan as a tank for my archer
> when I played the OC.

Tomi becomes great if you use the Henchman inventory and battle AI mod. With
better armor (Shadow Thieves one is great) and two Kukris he rocks. With
default equipment he becomes weak after Chapter 2. Daelan is a good fighter,
but his default equipment also weakens him unneccessarily. He'll serve much
better in Chromatic Breastplate and with a +3 weapon. One thing to keep in
mind with that mod is that only the currently hired hench will get
transferred from each chapter to the next with the correct equipment. If
you've re-equipped several henchies, then you must first take their
equipment back before a chapter transfer, or they'll lose it.

> Only Sharwyn and Tomi, though Tomi is better at it. Only Tomi has
> Disable Trap skill. Sharwyn is a great backup for a melee type (my
> paladin used her all the way through) for her buffing spells. For a mage
> PC, you need more of a tank hench.

Tomi lacks a bit in the disarm trap area. He regularly comes a few
skillpoints short for the most difficult traps. Not nearly as specialized as
a PC can be, with disarm trap always at maximum and the 5 points in set trap
for the synergy. The good thing is that nasty traps can be gotten rid of by
bashing the chest with a ranged weapon. Although the realism in breaking a
sturdy chest open with arrows is questionable.

Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:
>> Only Sharwyn and Tomi, though Tomi is better at it. Only Tomi has
>> Disable Trap skill. Sharwyn is a great backup for a melee type (my
>> paladin used her all the way through) for her buffing spells. For a
>> mage PC, you need more of a tank hench.
>
> Tomi lacks a bit in the disarm trap area. He regularly comes a few
> skillpoints short for the most difficult traps. Not nearly as
> specialized as a PC can be, with disarm trap always at maximum and
> the 5 points in set trap for the synergy. The good thing is that
> nasty traps can be gotten rid of by bashing the chest with a ranged
> weapon. Although the realism in breaking a sturdy chest open with
> arrows is questionable.

You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap? I
think I tried this and it didn't work, so maybe there's a more specific way
to do it? I still haven't quite mastered the radial menu yet.

John Salerno wrote:

> You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap?

No. If you destroy the chest with missile damage, the trap will be
destroyed along with it.

Kish wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>> You mean I can fire my heavy crossbow at a chest to set off the trap?
>
> No. If you destroy the chest with missile damage, the trap will be
> destroyed along with it.

So I'd have to keep attacking it until I destroy it? And I'm thinking I
can't do that, because of the D&D rules. I don't think I'd beat the DC to do
much damage.