Hibernation disables connection. Is it possible to keep it?

o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I just got a new laptop and one of the first things I realized was that the wireless connection is disabled when the laptop goes into standby. This makes sense, I guess, because disabled the wi-fi will drain less power, but I'm not really concerned about that.

I would like to be able to leave downloads going while I'm away from my laptop. One option is to just not put it in hibernation, but if at all possible, I would like to put it in hibernation and continue downloading. Is there a way to stop windows from disabling the wireless connection in hibernation mode?

I've looked under the properties of the wireless adapter, and there's no "power management" tab like there usually is.

When I go to "Power Options" from the control panel, it loads some custom power management program. It's called "Acer ePower Management" (considering this is an Acer laptop). I looked through that and couldn't find anything about the wireless adapter other than it allowing me to disable it while using the laptop to conserve power. Nothing about hibernation mode, though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Explaced

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I'm not sure if that's possible. If your computer is in hibernation, technically the hard drive is shutting down, too. Therefore if you're trying to download something, unless it would all fit into you RAM, it won't download to the HD.

I think you might need to just let your monitor turn off, or something of that nature to conserve power. If I'm understanding hibernation correctly, your computer basically shuts down and saves everything into the RAM until it powers back up. It keeps just enough power that the RAM won't lose the data.

Looks like I got it backwards. I looked it up, and hibernation writes everything to the hard drive and basically shuts your computer off, where as Stand By puts everything in RAM. Stand By is for a "lunch break" period of time, whereas hibernate is an overnight or longer type of thing.

So, knowing that, if your computer is in hibernation, it is practically off with most everything written to a special image file of where your computer last was before it hibernated. That probably won't allow you to keep a wireless connection, or let anything download to your HD.

Here's a link for reference on hibernation and Stand By:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/russel_02march25.mspx

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Device manager, network adapter, properties, power management tab, turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Device manager, network adapter, properties, power management tab, turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

I've looked under the properties of the wireless adapter, and there's no "power management" tab like there usually is.

I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that it may not be possible.

TRENDING THREADS