What hardware to warranty?

franky

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
I'm building my first gaming computer. My question is what parts should you warranty? I'm buying almost everything from newegg. Are they reliable with warranties?

My guess is anything over a certain price, say $250. Is that right?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
You get a warrenty from the manfacturer, you dont need anything else. I didnt buy an extended warrenty from newegg on any of my parts.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
These are generally a waste of money.

I have purchased them in the past for certain consumer electronics (mp3 player) but only because they picked up where the manufacturer's warranty left off. The estimated lifespan is about 3 years for the internal battery and I expected to own the same mp3 player for at least 5. I dont expect the warranty to cover just some random problem with the unit but a specific and expected failure.

I would never purchase one for say a CPU or MB. It either works or not and newegg will RMA willingly. A failure 2 years out and the story changes. That warranty cost would be better spent on an updated replacement instead.

Just my 2 cents.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Agree with everyone else, no waste the money, parts warranties are all good and if a part is going to head south it's more than likely during the warraty.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Definetely don't get extended warranty on ANYTHING, besides maybe a plasma, because they all have 1 year warranties, which is sad.

ragemonkey

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Most parts you purchase come with a Manufacturer's warranty that covers most things except OCing and negligence (ie. tellig the manufacturer you OC'd it before it broke)

Extended warranties really don't do much for you, and the average "gamer" upgrades parts so often it really doesn't make much sense. I agree with the above post that the only component worth it would be an LCD monitor, if the warranty covers dead pixels... which most do not beyond the minimum number of dead pixels in a bunch or a row.