Group Policy Security

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I'm working on deploying my first app with GP. If I like
how it works I will be deploying more software with it.
So I am trying to approach it in a way that I won't need
to come back and change in the future. Should I have an
individual policy for each piece of software so I can
control which groups it gets assigned to? Or can I
specify which software packages can be applied to which
groups in the policy?

You can't do the latter, but you can organize your software by GPOs. So, if
all in marketing need 3 apps, you can put three apps in that GPO. If there
is no consistency, you will need a GPO per app.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on deploying my first app with GP. If I like
> how it works I will be deploying more software with it.
> So I am trying to approach it in a way that I won't need
> to come back and change in the future. Should I have an
> individual policy for each piece of software so I can
> control which groups it gets assigned to? Or can I
> specify which software packages can be applied to which
> groups in the policy?

Can't you do it by assigning security rights to each peice of software?
"Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message
> You can't do the latter, but you can organize your software by GPOs. So,
if
> all in marketing need 3 apps, you can put three apps in that GPO. If there
> is no consistency, you will need a GPO per app.
>
> --
> Derek Melber
> BrainCore.Net
> derekm@braincore.net
> "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm working on deploying my first app with GP. If I like
> > how it works I will be deploying more software with it.
> > So I am trying to approach it in a way that I won't need
> > to come back and change in the future. Should I have an
> > individual policy for each piece of software so I can
> > control which groups it gets assigned to? Or can I
> > specify which software packages can be applied to which
> > groups in the policy?

User rights are not associated with software. They are associated with the
computer, the whole computer.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net