Group Policy changes autosharewks to 0 on workstations

David

Since putting a group policy in place on our W2K domain
controller, all of the XP and 2000 workstations
automatically change their autosharewks to 0, thus
disabling their administrative shares. This is not good
for us as we run scheduled software at night that needs
to have these shares on the computer in order to fully
scan the workstation. I set the settings back per remote
registry, yet when the workstation grab or refresh their
group policy it changes it back to 0. Very annoying. Is
this a bug, or is there a setting somewhere in my group
policy I must change to prevent this. Thank You

It would appear something in your policy is causing this setting.
You may have imported a custom .adm file to the policy. To troubleshoot
the policy, you would need to read through all the .adm files that exist in
the \\<domainname>\sysvol\policies\<policyGUID>\ directories. Once you
find the .adm that makes the change, set it to the proper value and rung
gpupdate (2003 or XP) or "secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy" to refresh
the policy. Beyond that, you would need to open a case and have a support
engineer look at your group policy. Please do NOT post your policy to ANY
newsgroup.

David Waldron
MCSE+I, MCP+I, MCDBA, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft Enterprise Support