Excel in Windows XP

February 4, 2005 10:53:04 AM

I just had a friend install Windows XP. Besides having his name pop up
everytime I boot, the problem I have is when I click on the Start menu,
Programs, Excel....every single Excel file I've ever created opens and pops
up in rapid succession.

On the old operating system, it would just bring up Excel, then from the
drop down menu you could open the file you want. Now I have to close multiple
files and leave the one I want to work in open. What the heck is going on?

Bernie

More about : excel windows

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:09:27 PM

Whose copy of XP did he install, yours or his?

"BernieB" <BernieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just had a friend install Windows XP. Besides having his name pop up
> everytime I boot, the problem I have is when I click on the Start menu,
> Programs, Excel....every single Excel file I've ever created opens and
> pops
> up in rapid succession.
>
> On the old operating system, it would just bring up Excel, then from the
> drop down menu you could open the file you want. Now I have to close
> multiple
> files and leave the one I want to work in open. What the heck is going on?
>
> Bernie
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:36:07 PM

Is your copy of Windows XP genuine?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows...

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"BernieB" wrote:

| I just had a friend install Windows XP. Besides having his name pop up
| everytime I boot, the problem I have is when I click on the Start menu,
| Programs, Excel....every single Excel file I've ever created opens and pops
| up in rapid succession.
|
| On the old operating system, it would just bring up Excel, then from the
| drop down menu you could open the file you want. Now I have to close multiple
| files and leave the one I want to work in open. What the heck is going on?
|
| Bernie
February 4, 2005 2:23:01 PM

I don't think it's spyware or a virus or anything. This is the first time I'm
using it after installation and I haven't even gone out to the internet yet.
I think it's a "setting".
It's like the setup was made for three people, me, him and a guest. When XP
starts up, there always a "sign-in" screen asking for a password. I know he
didn't use passwords, because you just hit ok with nothing in that field and
it lets you in. Ideally, I'd like to change it to just me. I'm the only one
who uses the computer now that I have it back.
I don't think he did anything malicious. I don't think that's it.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Is your copy of Windows XP genuine?
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows...

> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315
>
> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
>
> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "BernieB" wrote:
>
> | I just had a friend install Windows XP. Besides having his name pop up
> | everytime I boot, the problem I have is when I click on the Start menu,
> | Programs, Excel....every single Excel file I've ever created opens and pops
> | up in rapid succession.
> |
> | On the old operating system, it would just bring up Excel, then from the
> | drop down menu you could open the file you want. Now I have to close multiple
> | files and leave the one I want to work in open. What the heck is going on?
> |
> | Bernie

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:43:01 PM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 07:53:04 -0800, BernieB wrote:

> I just had a friend install Windows XP. Besides having his name pop up
> everytime I boot, the problem I have is when I click on the Start menu,
> Programs, Excel....every single Excel file I've ever created opens and pops
> up in rapid succession.
>
> On the old operating system, it would just bring up Excel, then from the
> drop down menu you could open the file you want. Now I have to close multiple
> files and leave the one I want to work in open. What the heck is going on?
>
> Bernie

Have you tried creating a new shortcut to Excel?
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

That didn't work either, Thanks.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 07:53:04 -0800, BernieB wrote:
>
> > I just had a friend install Windows XP. Besides having his name pop up
> > everytime I boot, the problem I have is when I click on the Start menu,
> > Programs, Excel....every single Excel file I've ever created opens and pops
> > up in rapid succession.
> >
> > On the old operating system, it would just bring up Excel, then from the
> > drop down menu you could open the file you want. Now I have to close multiple
> > files and leave the one I want to work in open. What the heck is going on?
> >
> > Bernie
>
> Have you tried creating a new shortcut to Excel?
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:59:57 PM

Have you tried removing and reinstalling Excel?

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> That didn't work either, Thanks.
>
> "Sharon F" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 07:53:04 -0800, BernieB wrote:
>>
>> > I just had a friend install Windows XP. Besides having his name pop up
>> > everytime I boot, the problem I have is when I click on the Start menu,
>> > Programs, Excel....every single Excel file I've ever created opens and
>> > pops
>> > up in rapid succession.
>> >
>> > On the old operating system, it would just bring up Excel, then from
>> > the
>> > drop down menu you could open the file you want. Now I have to close
>> > multiple
>> > files and leave the one I want to work in open. What the heck is going
>> > on?
>> >
>> > Bernie
>>
>> Have you tried creating a new shortcut to Excel?
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 11:06:58 AM

Log on as administrator and delete the other user accounts.
I'd still run anti-spyware/ad-aware progs to be sure, and also antivirus
scan.

>I don't think it's spyware or a virus or anything. This is the first time
>I'm
> using it after installation and I haven't even gone out to the internet
> yet.
> I think it's a "setting".
> It's like the setup was made for three people, me, him and a guest. When
> XP
> starts up, there always a "sign-in" screen asking for a password. I know
> he
> didn't use passwords, because you just hit ok with nothing in that field
> and
> it lets you in. Ideally, I'd like to change it to just me. I'm the only
> one
> who uses the computer now that I have it back.
> I don't think he did anything malicious. I don't think that's it.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is your copy of Windows XP genuine?
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows...
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315
>>
>> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
>> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...
>>
>> Symantec Security Check
>> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...
>>
>> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

>> "BernieB" wrote:
>>
>> | I just had a friend install Windows XP. Besides having his name pop up
>> | everytime I boot, the problem I have is when I click on the Start menu,
>> | Programs, Excel....every single Excel file I've ever created opens and
>> pops
>> | up in rapid succession.
>> |
>> | On the old operating system, it would just bring up Excel, then from
>> the
>> | drop down menu you could open the file you want. Now I have to close
>> multiple
>> | files and leave the one I want to work in open. What the heck is going
>> on?
>> |
>> | Bernie

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 11:06:59 AM

Thank you. I was able to delete the other user account.

Also, I successfully downloaded the SP upgrade package from Microsoft. At
first, it wouldn't let me, because it said my windows XP was a VAL or
something, but I went back a few screens and downloaded it without a serial
number.

I think one of the previous posts identified 2 places to download spyware
and adware. I will try these. Thanks everybody.

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:14:04 PM

Bernie

What version of Excel?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Thank you. I was able to delete the other user account.
>
> Also, I successfully downloaded the SP upgrade package from Microsoft.
> At
> first, it wouldn't let me, because it said my windows XP was a VAL or
> something, but I went back a few screens and downloaded it without a
> serial
> number.
>
> I think one of the previous posts identified 2 places to download
> spyware
> and adware. I will try these. Thanks everybody.
>
> "Andrew Murray" wrote:
>
>> Log on as administrator and delete the other user accounts.
>> I'd still run anti-spyware/ad-aware progs to be sure, and also
>> antivirus
>> scan.
>>

>> "BernieB" <BernieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I don't think it's spyware or a virus or anything. This is the first
>> >time
>> >I'm
>> > using it after installation and I haven't even gone out to the
>> > internet
>> > yet.
>> > I think it's a "setting".
>> > It's like the setup was made for three people, me, him and a guest.
>> > When
>> > XP
>> > starts up, there always a "sign-in" screen asking for a password. I
>> > know
>> > he
>> > didn't use passwords, because you just hit ok with nothing in that
>> > field
>> > and
>> > it lets you in. Ideally, I'd like to change it to just me. I'm the
>> > only
>> > one
>> > who uses the computer now that I have it back.
>> > I don't think he did anything malicious. I don't think that's it.

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:37:01 PM

Office 2000

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Bernie
>
> What version of Excel?
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "BernieB" <BernieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you. I was able to delete the other user account.
> >
> > Also, I successfully downloaded the SP upgrade package from Microsoft.
> > At
> > first, it wouldn't let me, because it said my windows XP was a VAL or
> > something, but I went back a few screens and downloaded it without a
> > serial
> > number.
> >
> > I think one of the previous posts identified 2 places to download
> > spyware
> > and adware. I will try these. Thanks everybody.
> >
> > "Andrew Murray" wrote:
> >
> >> Log on as administrator and delete the other user accounts.
> >> I'd still run anti-spyware/ad-aware progs to be sure, and also
> >> antivirus
> >> scan.
> >>

> >> "BernieB" <BernieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 3:23:31 PM

Bernie

Excel will try to open any files it finds in either the XLSTART folder or
"Alternate startup file location" or "at startup, open files in". This could
be the source of your problem.

I would check the Tools>Options>General and delete any path in "Alternate
startup file location".

I would move any files from the XLSTART folder that aren't
Personal.xls, Book.xlt or Sheet.xlt.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 19:37:01 -0800, "BernieB"

!