Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Water Cooling Blocks

Last response: in Overclocking
January 14, 2007 1:17:45 PM

I was at danger Den today and saw a few of these. I would like two because hard drives get really hot. My issue is that on looking at them, I don't really see what component they cool of they are to be attached to the uncovered bottom of a HD. Or some even made contact with the sides. To me the better solution would be one that "piggy backs" on the covered side. Anyone have experience using these?

Here is where I was.
January 15, 2007 1:55:02 AM

The hard drives usually stay cool. Around 30C when a fan is blowing over them. Just use a 80mm or 120mm fan they will keep it cool. The HD waterblocks are waste of space and money in my opinion.
January 15, 2007 2:19:42 AM

Quote:
The hard drives usually stay cool. Around 30C when a fan is blowing over them. Just use a 80mm or 120mm fan they will keep it cool. The HD waterblocks are waste of space and money in my opinion.

true.

-OP

The cover the exposed circuitry on the bottom of the hard drive. Usually use some sort of paste to get an attachment or a flexible "bag" that forms to it, depends on the manufacturer.
Related resources
January 15, 2007 2:47:31 AM

I think these coolers would be installed just as if they were HDDs, so you might do a stack of 4 coolers and 3 HDDs if you're quite serious about it. But I can really only imagine using these if you were going for a completely fanless case. As the other posers said, just a fan blowing over your HDDs will keep them cool.
January 15, 2007 10:33:49 PM

I got this instead. look like it just slides into the bay itself and as such you can put in on top or below the HD. When handling a HD while it is spinning, most of the heat gets dissepated from the metal cover that comes on all OEM drives. Seems like it is worth cooling from that side.
January 15, 2007 11:57:44 PM

oops . . . had to change it. that one only works in a 5.2"bay!!!!
January 18, 2007 8:13:03 AM

LOL 30 deg tell that to my WD raptors....!

However I find that a fan usually does the trick....
January 18, 2007 1:58:39 PM

The only way i could justify using an HDD water cooling block is if your building a huge 20 drive raid array or something, then they would start to get hot.
January 18, 2007 2:35:19 PM

dont most cases have an area in front of the HDD racks where you could install a 120mm fan?
January 18, 2007 3:00:58 PM

Just mount the drives where they get some airflow. They'll be fine.
!