Blocking downloads in IE

Is there a group policy that I can set that will prevent users from
downloading/installing software thru IE? (i.e. IM's, Plug-ins, or spyware)
I know I can block the ports that IM software uses, but was wondering if
there was a policy I can set by user or computer. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

KG

"Kofi Gyasi" <kgyasi@rcgdirect.com> wrote in message news:<emet$0pMEHA.2244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Is there a group policy that I can set that will prevent users from
> downloading/installing software thru IE? (i.e. IM's, Plug-ins, or spyware)
> I know I can block the ports that IM software uses, but was wondering if
> there was a policy I can set by user or computer. Any help would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> KG

What I've done is create a group policy and use the software
restrictions to create a new certificate rule. I take the code signing
certificate that the spyware vendor uses and deny it. I've used that
method to elimate gator all together.

It would be really nice if there was a collection of code signing
certifcates so I could make a complete set of rules to block most
major spyware products.

Glen.