Double Checking New System, Advice Welcome

Onthefarside

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
So I ordered parts for my new gaming/CAD rig for school and such and I thought I'd post it here for some criticism. Overall I believe it's pretty solid, I only worry about the PSU because it's 500W, I've used this before in 2 rigs and never had a problem. My price range is limited at 1500USD and dont forget shipping so 1450 is really the max. I do plan to overclock alot, hence the Tuniq.

CPU INTEL|C2D E6300 1.86G 775 2M R - Retail $192

I'm going back to school this week so I really dont have time to wait for the 4300, I wish i could but c'est la vie. I don't know it's exact release date either.

ASUS P5B-E LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $160

Good solid P965 mobo choice, overclocks pretty well. The earlier revisions of this mobo didn't have MCH voltage options and the memory only went to 2.1V but the 2nd revision should be guaranteed at this time, at least I hope!

SAPPHIRE 100176U Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Ultimate Video Card - Retail $220

For the price, I think this is a pretty decent card. Unlike the first 1950PRO release from sapphire this one does come with a better cooler ( a zalman, and heatsinks on the memory and VRM) I've heard good things so I'm hoping it'll do me well with my monitor. I was going to get a 7600GT but since i decided to buy a monitor to replace my dying 17" CRT, but i wasn't sure if would be able to drive a 20.1" 1600x1050 well enough for me for the games i enjoy.

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $224

Probably the cheapest CAS 4 PC6400 memory there is with decent timings. I read they have trouble ocing past 950mhz, but I probably wont need to bring them past 900 unless i'm just playing with OCing. I tried looking but i couldn't find out if these use infineon or micron chips. Also a little worried about buying OCZ with people having issues, unless they were just being stupid.

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V TUV, UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC - Retail $70

This is my main concern, 500W is enough for my system I'm pretty sure but with OCing and all I'm not sure what kind of effect it will have. It's a pretty decent price as well and antec is a name i've used for a while but If someone could fit a better PSU in here in my price rage it'd be nice.

SCEPTRE X20WG-Naga Black 20.1" 5ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail$240

Some people complain about the panel and it's a little cheap but my eyesight isn't keen enough to tell, it's big and has a nice resolution and gets good reviews so i'll stick to it

Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail $60

This is more just because I wanted one then anything else, I could OC well with the stock cooler or the Freezer Pro 7 I have lying around.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $50

decent cheap case, I would prefer one with a plastic side panel with grills over the video cards but since it'll be under my desk anyways it doesn't matter much. I worry a little that the Tuniq wont fit but i think it will.

Rest is basic stuff i wont bore ya'll with

Seagate 320gig HD- $94
Razer Diamondback - $40
Keyboard- $15
Fan for MCH - $3
DVD burner- $31
AS5- $5

All together it comes to 1450USD so i have about $50 headroom and untill tomorrow to change my order before newegg ships. So any help is welcome!

harty23690

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
drop the fan for the MCH, unnecessary and will just make your system louder. Also i recomment getting a motherboard capable of SLI/Xfire so that you can futureproof.

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
well, personally i'd get the 6400 for 30 more buks. and what kind of sound card are you gonna use? the onboard or one from a previous system?

and to the dual vga set up suggested... the price n performance ratio is never justified. I suggest you stick with your setup you have goin for. Newer cards always come out and beat the dual vga.

TRENDING THREADS