  • MSI
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 5, 2004 10:29:56 AM

Hi,
WInZip does not come with an MSI file, it only comes as a
self-extracting file that exrtacts ifself to a temp folder
then lunches the setup.exe file.

How can I deploy an application (in this case WinZip)
through my GPO for an application that does not have an
MSI file?

How can I create this "MAGICAL" MST or ZAP file? and how
can I use it if my GPO gives me only MSI files to
assign/public?

Thanks

More about : deploy winzip gpo

Anonymous
May 5, 2004 11:06:32 AM

"Ihab Abedrabbo" <ihab17@hotmail.com> said

> Hi,
> WInZip does not come with an MSI file, it only comes as a
> self-extracting file that exrtacts ifself to a temp folder
> then lunches the setup.exe file.
>
> How can I deploy an application (in this case WinZip)
> through my GPO for an application that does not have an
> MSI file?
>
> How can I create this "MAGICAL" MST or ZAP file? and how
> can I use it if my GPO gives me only MSI files to
> assign/public?

You don't really need a GPO to deploy Winzip.
Just install it to a network share then create a login script as follows:

if exist "c:\program files\winzip\*" goto Done
<server>\<share>\WinZip\WinZip.exe /autoinstall
:D one

The only other thing you may want to do as a startup script within a GPO is
to create a shortcut in the All Users folder (copy it from a shared location)
as, by default, Winzip only creates it for the current user.

Andy.
!