motherboard/CPU questions for Vista

blm

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
I planning on building a box to run Vista and noticed that Newegg sells AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPUs in both 65W & 90(i guess)W. What's the difference (other than one sucks less AC power); speed, reliability, durability? and what are the implications for motherboard choice?

Regarding motherboards, I'm overwhelmed by the selection. I'm not a gamer and don't need the advanced SLI or crosswire type dual GPUs. I plan on using this as a "business" system. Having 1394 might be helpful, but isn't necessary.

Does anyone have a mobo/CPU combo to recommend?

thanks!

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I planning on building a box to run Vista and noticed that Newegg sells AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPUs in both 65W & 90(i guess)W. What's the difference (other than one sucks less AC power); speed, reliability, durability? and what are the implications for motherboard choice?

Regarding motherboards, I'm overwhelmed by the selection. I'm not a gamer and don't need the advanced SLI or crosswire type dual GPUs. I plan on using this as a "business" system. Having 1394 might be helpful, but isn't necessary.

Does anyone have a mobo/CPU combo to recommend?

thanks!

The difference between 65W and 90W? Um... I'd say about 25W? No, seriously, the difference is that the 65W X2s are probably running on a 65nm process and are also running at lower voltages. As far as reliability and durability... they're about the same. Speed: about the same. Motherboard choices are only limited by the socket of the CPU. Now...

Mobos... well, since you're going for a business system I'd say you could go with a lower-end Gigabyte or Asus board. Now... this still leaves a lot of quesitons open. 1.) Budget? 2.) Are you looking for anything specific, like any specific hardware you're going to be using or is it just software?

blm

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
according to Newegg, they're all 90nm, but they could be wrong. I'll check the AMD site later.

my quest is a quiet system so I was considering an Antec P150 case and some sort of quiet CPU fan like a Thermalright XP-120.

other HW specs: 2GB RAM, CD/DVD +/-RW, probably a single 160-250 GB HDD. I'd consider RAID if done in HW vs SW.

budget? I'm a tightwad; a new HP or Dell box with similar specs can be had for $1000-1200 so I'd like to be in that range.

thanks!

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
according to Newegg, they're all 90nm, but they could be wrong. I'll check the AMD site later.

my quest is a quiet system so I was considering an Antec P150 case and some sort of quiet CPU fan like a Thermalright XP-120.

other HW specs: 2GB RAM, CD/DVD +/-RW, probably a single 160-250 GB HDD. I'd consider RAID if done in HW vs SW.

budget? I'm a tightwad; a new HP or Dell box with similar specs can be had for $1000-1200 so I'd like to be in that range.

thanks!

Hmm... they're 90nm? Then I'm guessing they're the "energy-efficient" ones. The difference is only voltage. All other aspects are about the same. Now... motherboard... here's a decent one that would seem to suit your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128029

Now it IS Micro ATX, if you don't like that then check this one out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131593R

I know you said you didn't want SLI... but you can use one of those slots for a decent HW RAID controller (PCI-e is way better than PCI) and still have plenty of expansion.

The case: looks good, don't see any reason why you shouldn't get it.

RAM: I'd recommend like... I don't know... 2GB of Corsair or Kingston value RAM (not the "gamer" RAM).

You can get a good lite-on DVD +/- RW drive for under $100. Hmm... an HDD? Anything WD or Seagate... or Hitachi.

Hope this helps, if you need anything else please feel free to let me know.

blm

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
Thanks for your suggestions. I have to run now, but will check back into this later today.