How to export group policy settings to a text file

Sam

Hi,

Any suggestions how I can export group policy settings
from Windows 2000 AD to a text file?

Thanks

Sam

Sure, use GPMC on an XP box to push the settings to an HTML file.

You can also run the Security configuration and analysis tool, if you only
want security settings.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"Sam" <sub@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions how I can export group policy settings
> from Windows 2000 AD to a text file?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam

I answered this in the win2000.active_directory newsgroup already:

AdmX.exe: ADM File Parser
Category The ADM File Parser (AdmX) is a command-line tool that enables an
administrator to export Group Policy settings to a tab-delimited text file.
The administrator can then use the text produced by ADM File Parser (AdmX)
to find changes for the policy settings between different versions of the
operating systems. AdmX is for use only with policies based on
administrative templates.

Version compatibility The AdmX.exe tool runs on Windows 2000, Windows
Server 2003, and Windows XP Professional. AdmX.exe also requires the
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/w2k3tr_gp_tools.asp

--
******************************
Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP

"Sam" <sub@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions how I can export group policy settings
> from Windows 2000 AD to a text file?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam

This is a good option, but the XML save option will give an even better
format because the settings can be easily parsed.

Eric Voskuil
Policy Maker
http://www.autprof.com/policy

"Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message
> Sure, use GPMC on an XP box to push the settings to an HTML file.
>
> You can also run the Security configuration and analysis tool, if you only
> want security settings.
>
> --
> Derek Melber
> BrainCore.Net
> derekm@braincore.net
> "Sam" <sub@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Any suggestions how I can export group policy settings
> > from Windows 2000 AD to a text file?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Sam

ADM parsing option doesn't provide the policy settings, just the policy
options - not sure if there was an intentional distinction here. Also, ADM
Templates is only 1 out of the 11 Microsoft Group Policy extensions.

Regards,

Eric Voskuil
Policy Maker
http://www.autprof.com/policy