force logoff after idle time

There must be a way to do this, but I can't find it. I'd
like to implement a policy which forces a user to logoff,
or lock, after a certain amount of idle time. That is:
you're logged in, you have word and outlook running on
your desktop, you walk away to a meeting, and after your
PC sits there for 15 minutes without being touched, it
goes into a "lock workstation" state. It seems essential,
but I can't find the policy choice to do it. Help?

BH

Group Policy ->user configuration ->administrative templates ->Control
Panel ->Dislplay. Activate a screensaver and set it to password protect.
Set the screen saver timeout to 900 seconds. (15 minutes) this will lock
the workstation and force a user to ctrl-alt-dlt and type in their pass when
the screesaver is activated.
"BH" <bhamill@NOmbcSPAM.orkOK> wrote in message
> There must be a way to do this, but I can't find it. I'd
> like to implement a policy which forces a user to logoff,
> or lock, after a certain amount of idle time. That is:
> you're logged in, you have word and outlook running on
> your desktop, you walk away to a meeting, and after your
> PC sits there for 15 minutes without being touched, it
> goes into a "lock workstation" state. It seems essential,
> but I can't find the policy choice to do it. Help?
>
> BH

in the resource kit there is also a tool called logoff.exe. you could define
this as your screensaver.
greets Omko
"Smelly" <john@me.net> schreef in bericht
> Group Policy ->user configuration ->administrative templates ->Control
> Panel ->Dislplay. Activate a screensaver and set it to password protect.
> Set the screen saver timeout to 900 seconds. (15 minutes) this will lock
> the workstation and force a user to ctrl-alt-dlt and type in their pass
when
> the screesaver is activated.
> "BH" <bhamill@NOmbcSPAM.orkOK> wrote in message
> > There must be a way to do this, but I can't find it. I'd
> > like to implement a policy which forces a user to logoff,
> > or lock, after a certain amount of idle time. That is:
> > you're logged in, you have word and outlook running on
> > your desktop, you walk away to a meeting, and after your
> > PC sits there for 15 minutes without being touched, it
> > goes into a "lock workstation" state. It seems essential,
> > but I can't find the policy choice to do it. Help?
> >
> > BH

But how to force logoff?

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<138a801c44420$ae1bdb80$a301280a@phx.gbl>...
> But how to force logoff?

You can set up a scheduled task that will only be invoked
after the computer has been idle for a set number of minutes.
That task could be a script that logs off the user.

--
Matt Hickman
I shall never forget Singapore, a most educational city.

Can you distribute a scheduled task using GPO?

"Matt Hickman" <hemo_jr@space.com> wrote in message
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > But how to force logoff?
>
> You can set up a scheduled task that will only be invoked
> after the computer has been idle for a set number of minutes.
> That task could be a script that logs off the user.
>
> --
> Matt Hickman
> I shall never forget Singapore, a most educational city.
> Robert A. Heinlein (1907 - 1988)
> _Glory Road_ 1963

TRENDING THREADS