force logoff after idle time

There must be a way to do this, but I can't find it. I'd
like to implement a policy which forces a user to logoff,
or lock, after a certain amount of idle time. That is:
you're logged in, you have word and outlook running on
your desktop, you walk away to a meeting, and after your
PC sits there for 15 minutes without being touched, it
goes into a "lock workstation" state. It seems essential,
but I can't find the policy choice to do it. Help?

BH
5 answers Last reply
More about force logoff idle time

    Group Policy ->user configuration ->administrative templates ->Control
    Panel ->Dislplay. Activate a screensaver and set it to password protect.
    Set the screen saver timeout to 900 seconds. (15 minutes) this will lock
    the workstation and force a user to ctrl-alt-dlt and type in their pass when
    the screesaver is activated.
    "BH" <bhamill@NOmbcSPAM.orkOK> wrote in message
    > There must be a way to do this, but I can't find it. I'd
    > like to implement a policy which forces a user to logoff,
    > or lock, after a certain amount of idle time. That is:
    > you're logged in, you have word and outlook running on
    > your desktop, you walk away to a meeting, and after your
    > PC sits there for 15 minutes without being touched, it
    > goes into a "lock workstation" state. It seems essential,
    > but I can't find the policy choice to do it. Help?
    >
    > BH

    in the resource kit there is also a tool called logoff.exe. you could define
    this as your screensaver.
    greets Omko
    "Smelly" <john@me.net> schreef in bericht
    > Group Policy ->user configuration ->administrative templates ->Control
    > Panel ->Dislplay. Activate a screensaver and set it to password protect.
    > Set the screen saver timeout to 900 seconds. (15 minutes) this will lock
    > the workstation and force a user to ctrl-alt-dlt and type in their pass
    when
    > the screesaver is activated.
    > "BH" <bhamill@NOmbcSPAM.orkOK> wrote in message
    > > There must be a way to do this, but I can't find it. I'd
    > > like to implement a policy which forces a user to logoff,
    > > or lock, after a certain amount of idle time. That is:
    > > you're logged in, you have word and outlook running on
    > > your desktop, you walk away to a meeting, and after your
    > > PC sits there for 15 minutes without being touched, it
    > > goes into a "lock workstation" state. It seems essential,
    > > but I can't find the policy choice to do it. Help?
    > >
    > > BH

    But how to force logoff?

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<138a801c44420$ae1bdb80$a301280a@phx.gbl>...
    > But how to force logoff?

    You can set up a scheduled task that will only be invoked
    after the computer has been idle for a set number of minutes.
    That task could be a script that logs off the user.

    --
    Matt Hickman
    I shall never forget Singapore, a most educational city.

    Can you distribute a scheduled task using GPO?

    "Matt Hickman" <hemo_jr@space.com> wrote in message
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > But how to force logoff?
    >
    > You can set up a scheduled task that will only be invoked
    > after the computer has been idle for a set number of minutes.
    > That task could be a script that logs off the user.
    >
    > --
    > Matt Hickman
    > I shall never forget Singapore, a most educational city.
    > Robert A. Heinlein (1907 - 1988)
    > _Glory Road_ 1963

Policy Microsoft Windows