Sign in with
Your question

GA-945P S3, overclocking, PCI-E and SATA cards

Last response: in Motherboards
January 14, 2007 3:42:17 PM

I have a GA-945P S3, and I'm working on overclocking it. Trouble is, my cache drive is an SATA raid array that runs off of a PCI-E card. Whenever I overclock above about 10%, the card stops working properly in Windows, and the drive disappears. If I clock even higher, the system just doesn't post. (I'm not sure if this is hw limitation or the same PCI-E problem)

I think this problem is from the PCI-E bus being set as a fraction of the system bus. Apparently SATA cards have a hard time running at anything above 110mhz. Whatever, the BIOS has a setting to let me control the PCI-E frequency by hand, right? Apparently not. Setting it manually to 100 makes no difference. The system just doesn't post.

Any suggestions? Right now I can overclock and be sans-SATA RAID at about 2.8ghz, but the temp seems OK and I think I can do better (waiting for my new heatsink to arrive tho). More to the point, I want to be able to use my SATA RAID and overclock at the same time, even if 2.8 is the limit!

Suggestions? Why isn't the PCI-E bus speed setting responding?

e6400 2.13ghz
GA-945P S3 rev 2
ATI X1950XT
cheap wintec ram
January 14, 2007 3:46:43 PM

update: I've removed the PCI-E SATA card, and now I can boot fine at 2.8ghz... though onboard SATA is now tempermental about detecting my drives at boot... and when I set the PCI-E bus to ANYTHING by hand, I don't post. Ideas?

Perhaps this is an issue with a required bus speed for my video card? (Sapphire ATI X1950XT)
January 23, 2007 2:32:11 AM

Hi,

I have a GA-945P-S3 mobo. I have 2 SATA drives and am trying to set up as RAID. How do I turn on the RAID controller on the mobo. The manual does not mention that at all. Does this mobo have a built in RAID Controller? Appreciate your reply.
thanks
Related resources
January 24, 2007 10:25:31 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I have a GA-945P-S3 mobo. I have 2 SATA drives and am trying to set up as RAID. How do I turn on the RAID controller on the mobo. The manual does not mention that at all. Does this mobo have a built in RAID Controller? Appreciate your reply.
thanks

No.
February 5, 2007 3:45:44 AM

update:
I'm running stable at 2.88ghz. I've hit my FSB ceiling at 360mhz... which I don't think is right. Anything higher than that and I just don't post. I still think the problem is the PCI-E bus, which I cannot force to 100mhz under any circumstances.

Does this sound like a lemon board? Should I send it in for RMA repair? It seems a pretty specific problem to me, not to be able to set the PCI-E bus speed...
!