Sign in with
Your question

Will one SLI card run on sli system.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2007 3:42:55 PM

I am thinking about a new system. Would it be better to get a 512 mb card with faster processor than to get 2 256 cards with slow processor?
I have a 2800 amd system with 7600 gs agp. I am thinking dual core of course and sli. 2 megs of ram. I want under 2 grand. I have a 19 inch crt and a cheap but adequate speaker system. I want to be ready for ALAN WAKE which needs vista. I want to be ready for Crysis. Those are the next two DOOM and HL2. People bought new systems for those games. Trouble is no specs are listed. People try to get me to build my own but after the software purchase and warranty I don't think it is worth it. You are assured of compatiblity with a prebuilt. I will get a 500 watt PS.
The bestsite I found is cyberpowerpc.com. I have built a pc about 20 times on their site checking for most bang for buck. The 27 inch mon is tempting but I really don't need a monitor. I know I need an intel cpu dual core but which is the bargain?
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2007 3:54:19 PM

if your buildning a new system get the videocard last.

probably a 8800gts/gtx, or if the r600 is out then maybe go for it.
January 14, 2007 3:57:52 PM

A Core 2 Duo and an 8800GTX/R600 if you want to play Alan Wake and Crysis "The way it's meant to be played".
Related resources
January 14, 2007 4:00:42 PM

Quote:
A Core 2 Duo and an 8800GTX/R600 if you want to play Alan Wake and Crysis "The way it's meant to be played".

Actually, Alan Wake would need a Quad Core to be played "The way it's meant to be played".

There was a preview not long ago with AW running on the QX6700 and it was making use of all four cores if I'm not mistaken.
January 14, 2007 4:10:54 PM

But do I buy one good video card for sli and buy 2nd later or buy 2 mediocre cards?
January 14, 2007 4:12:17 PM

One good card is always better then two mediocre. SLI it later
January 14, 2007 6:26:53 PM

Quote:
But do I buy one good video card for sli and buy 2nd later or buy 2 mediocre cards?

Buy the best card you can afford. Never SLI/CF two mid-range cards.

Also, adding another card "later" is not a good idea, unless you get the second top-line card like a month after.
!