Use of gpt.ini file ??

Dear all,

What is the effect of the gpt.ini file on the system ?

In other words, does that file is a kind of notificator for the whole system that securty policy has changed?

If this one is changed each time that a plolicy is updated, does the fact that overwitten that file will be enought to the policy beeing updated without the need of opening the gpedit for instance....

thnaks for your information
regards
serge

Group Policies exist in two places, in Sysvol and in Active Directory.
gpt.ini from Sysvol contains the current version number of the GPO and will
change every time you change a policy setting. Don't ever manually edit this
file.

"serge calderara" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> What is the effect of the gpt.ini file on the system ?
>
> In other words, does that file is a kind of notificator for the whole
system that securty policy has changed?

> If this one is changed each time that a plolicy is updated, does the fact
that overwitten that file will be enought to the policy beeing updated
without the need of opening the gpedit for instance....

> thnaks for your information
> regards
> serge

I ma using windows 2000 professal and I have setup a local policy which is apply for all users except Adminstrator.
In order to do that I have follow the Microsoft procedure which says:

- Edit desired policies
- logon and logoff with all user profiles to aply policies
- copy the current registry.pol file to a safe place
- logon as administrator and set policy that was previously enable to disable
- logon and off to verify policy
- Restore previously saved file.

After this the local policies is apply to all user except Administrator.

Now what I am trying to do, is finding an easy and straignt way to modify easily my policies for all users except Administrator.

Of cours if I apply the same procedure as mentionned below it will work, but I was wondering if there is an other way to applly update policy without having to logon and off, by simply an update of files and thats it.

Can I do something easily, with tje use of this gpt.ini file ?

What is important is that I I send to a ciustomer a new registry.pol update it should affect all users except administrator.
At this end my plan is to automated as much thing as possible.

Any idea?

regards
serge

You can use secedit to force Group Policy updates without having to log off.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=227302

> I ma using windows 2000 professal and I have setup a local policy which is
apply for all users except Adminstrator.
> In order to do that I have follow the Microsoft procedure which says:
>
> - Edit desired policies
> - logon and logoff with all user profiles to aply policies
> - copy the current registry.pol file to a safe place
> - logon as administrator and set policy that was previously enable to
disable
> - logon and off to verify policy
> - Restore previously saved file.
>
> After this the local policies is apply to all user except Administrator.
>
> Now what I am trying to do, is finding an easy and straignt way to modify
easily my policies for all users except Administrator.

> Of cours if I apply the same procedure as mentionned below it will work,
but I was wondering if there is an other way to applly update policy without
having to logon and off, by simply an update of files and thats it.

> Can I do something easily, with tje use of this gpt.ini file ?
>
> What is important is that I I send to a ciustomer a new registry.pol
update it should affect all users except administrator.
> At this end my plan is to automated as much thing as possible.
>
> Any idea?
>
> regards
> serge

Thanks foir the secedit tool.
by the way do u think I couls apply changes only to all users except administrator by using it that way?

regards
serge

If you want administrators to be exempt from a Group Policy the easiest way
is to assign them the 'Deny' permission for 'Apply Group Policy'
You can find these ACL's in the security tab of your Group Policy
properties.

> Thanks foir the secedit tool.
> by the way do u think I couls apply changes only to all users except
administrator by using it that way?

> regards
> serge

TRENDING THREADS