Assigning user profiles based on OU

Tim

Does anyone know of a way to assign a mandatory profile
based on the computer that the user logs on to. We are in
a college setting and not all of our computers have the
same programs. We want to assign a standard profile to be
used by students but do not want dead shortcuts on the
desktop. We could easily create seperate profiles to be
used based on computer location OU, but is this possible?

Thanks,
Tim

Hi,
Create a profile or copy a profile from a user
goto active directory users and computer
goto users property
goto profile tab
provide the path of the profile
you can use same path for all the users
So this way you can provide the same profile to all the users

Abhijeet Nigam, MCSE,A+,CCNA

Tim, I am also having the same issues. I have manditory profiles set for users but have mutiple computers with differ applications. If a profile can be based on OU or mapping a profile to a drive letter which is mapped via a VBS Script based in the OU GPO.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

"Tim" wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to assign a mandatory profile
> based on the computer that the user logs on to. We are in
> a college setting and not all of our computers have the
> same programs. We want to assign a standard profile to be
> used by students but do not want dead shortcuts on the
> desktop. We could easily create seperate profiles to be
> used based on computer location OU, but is this possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Hi Tim/Bill

Consider designing GPO/s that include settings for the users that are common
across all computers and then implementing the differing settings using
policy in the computer configuration. Another option is policy loopback:

231287 Loopback Processing of Group Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231287

The following document may be useful (although not specific to your needs):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/grppolsc.mspx

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"Arizona Bill" <Arizona Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tim, I am also having the same issues. I have manditory profiles set for
> users but have mutiple computers with differ applications. If a profile
> can be based on OU or mapping a profile to a drive letter which is mapped
> via a VBS Script based in the OU GPO.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this issue?
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a way to assign a mandatory profile
>> based on the computer that the user logs on to. We are in
>> a college setting and not all of our computers have the
>> same programs. We want to assign a standard profile to be
>> used by students but do not want dead shortcuts on the
>> desktop. We could easily create seperate profiles to be
>> used based on computer location OU, but is this possible?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

Mark, can you tell me if this is possible?

I am trying to find out information in regards to whether or not this can be done. I am currently running an Windows 2000 active directory will all windows xp pro sp1 clients. I have been asked to Map User profiles to a network drive. Ex. z:\profile. The problem is that I have created a VBS script to run in the computer script section of Group Policy for the Organizational Unit where the machine resides when the machine boots up. (MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\server\users)

The purpose of this is to map specified manditory profiles to workstations and not the Users. When Implemented, a user logs in and a message window appears stating that it is unable to find the roaming profile. When a non-profiled account logs onto the system and opens "My Computer" the mapped dirve Z:\profile is there. When you double click on the drive it takes you to the share.

I question is: Is it possible to map user profiles to a network drive that is mapped when the workstation authenticates to the AD network? I don't want to make the user profile to a UNC Path name Ex. \\server\users\%username% but instead to Z:\%username%

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Tim/Bill
>
> Consider designing GPO/s that include settings for the users that are common
> across all computers and then implementing the differing settings using
> policy in the computer configuration. Another option is policy loopback:
>
> 231287 Loopback Processing of Group Policy
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231287
>
> The following document may be useful (although not specific to your needs):
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/grppolsc.mspx
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> "Arizona Bill" <Arizona Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Tim, I am also having the same issues. I have manditory profiles set for
> > users but have mutiple computers with differ applications. If a profile
> > can be based on OU or mapping a profile to a drive letter which is mapped
> > via a VBS Script based in the OU GPO.
> >
> > Can anyone shed any light on this issue?
> >
> > "Tim" wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know of a way to assign a mandatory profile
> >> based on the computer that the user logs on to. We are in
> >> a college setting and not all of our computers have the
> >> same programs. We want to assign a standard profile to be
> >> used by students but do not want dead shortcuts on the
> >> desktop. We could easily create seperate profiles to be
> >> used based on computer location OU, but is this possible?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Tim

Hi Bill

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I assume you want the server name to be
different depending on which client machine you log onto? The only way I
can see you achieving this is to set the user profile path to something like
\\%profileserver%\users\%username% and set the %profileserver% environment
variable when the client boots.

Probably a better approach is to identify which settings should be common
across all client machines and implement those in a GPO linked to an OU.
Inside that OU, create OU's for specific client machine sets and apply
another GPO to each of those OU's that set the unique settings for that
group of client machines. If the policy settings are specific to the "User
Configuration" parts of the GPO's, you can use policy loopback as I
mentioned earlier:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/grppolsc.mspx

It's really worthwhile reading the document that I mentioned before. If it
doesn't answer your questions specifically, it'll give some good practices
that you can then adapt to your specific scenario.

Kind regards
--

> Mark, can you tell me if this is possible?
>
> I am trying to find out information in regards to whether or not this can
> be done. I am currently running an Windows 2000 active directory will all
> windows xp pro sp1 clients. I have been asked to Map User profiles to a
> network drive. Ex. z:\profile. The problem is that I have created a VBS
> script to run in the computer script section of Group Policy for the
> Organizational Unit where the machine resides when the machine boots up.
> (MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\server\users)
>
> The purpose of this is to map specified manditory profiles to workstations
> and not the Users. When Implemented, a user logs in and a message window
> appears stating that it is unable to find the roaming profile. When a
> non-profiled account logs onto the system and opens "My Computer" the
> mapped dirve Z:\profile is there. When you double click on the drive it
> takes you to the share.
>
> I question is: Is it possible to map user profiles to a network drive
> that is mapped when the workstation authenticates to the AD network? I
> don't want to make the user profile to a UNC Path name Ex.
> \\server\users\%username% but instead to Z:\%username%
>

> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim/Bill
>>
>> Consider designing GPO/s that include settings for the users that are
>> common
>> across all computers and then implementing the differing settings using
>> policy in the computer configuration. Another option is policy loopback:
>>
>> 231287 Loopback Processing of Group Policy
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231287
>>
>> The following document may be useful (although not specific to your
>> needs):
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/grppolsc.mspx
>>
>> Kind regards
>> --
>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> Windows Platform Support Team
>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>
>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
>> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

>> rights.
>>
>> "Arizona Bill" <Arizona Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Tim, I am also having the same issues. I have manditory profiles set
>> > for
>> > users but have mutiple computers with differ applications. If a
>> > profile
>> > can be based on OU or mapping a profile to a drive letter which is
>> > mapped
>> > via a VBS Script based in the OU GPO.
>> >
>> > Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Mark, Thanks your assistance on this. That could possibly work but how should I set the %profileserver% environment on client boot?

The main issue I have is that our CTO wants to be staff members to be able to user student workstations and pull the student profile. Having all the start->program files-> and applications that a student we be able to use. Student that are part of a special topic class that has designated machines with specific apps only showing those specific apps on the client machines.

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >> Hi Tim/Bill
> >>
> >> Consider designing GPO/s that include settings for the users that are
> >> common
> >> across all computers and then implementing the differing settings using
> >> policy in the computer configuration. Another option is policy loopback:
> >>
> >> 231287 Loopback Processing of Group Policy
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231287
> >>
> >> The following document may be useful (although not specific to your
> >> needs):
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/grppolsc.mspx
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> --
> >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> >> Windows Platform Support Team
> >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

Hi Bill

Without testing myself, you could use "set" in a startup script assigned to
the computers via Group Policy.

I don't follow your explanation of the the requirement. Can you clarify?

Kind regards
--

> [...]
>> > up.
>> > (MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\server\users)
>> >
>> > The purpose of this is to map specified manditory profiles to
>> > workstations
>> > and not the Users. When Implemented, a user logs in and a message
>> > window
>> > appears stating that it is unable to find the roaming profile. When a
>> > non-profiled account logs onto the system and opens "My Computer" the
>> > mapped dirve Z:\profile is there. When you double click on the drive
>> > it
>> > takes you to the share.
>> >
>> > I question is: Is it possible to map user profiles to a network drive
>> > that is mapped when the workstation authenticates to the AD network? I
>> > don't want to make the user profile to a UNC Path name Ex.
>> > \\server\users\%username% but instead to Z:\%username%

Mark,

Basically, The Staff members have a manditory profile as do the student have a manitory profile. They are two separt profiles located on two different VLans. When a staff member sits at a student workstation on a separate VLan they will logon with the student profile. The items that are set in the profile are there Start -> Programs and any applications they might use.

What I would like to be able to do is Map A network drive on the computer start up the V drive. it would look something like this

\\server\profile =V drive

Under the V drive there would be folders specified profile1, profile2, profile3, etc.

Then in the User's profile path I would enter V:\profile1 for example and the user would log on and pull that profile.

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Bill
>
> Without testing myself, you could use "set" in a startup script assigned to
> the computers via Group Policy.
>
> I don't follow your explanation of the the requirement. Can you clarify?
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> "Arizona Bill" <ArizonaBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mark, Thanks your assistance on this. That could possibly work but how
> > should I set the %profileserver% environment on client boot?
> >
> > The main issue I have is that our CTO wants to be staff members to be able
> > to user student workstations and pull the student profile. Having all the
> > start->program files-> and applications that a student we be able to use.
> > Student that are part of a special topic class that has designated
> > machines with specific apps only showing those specific apps on the client
> > machines.
> >
> > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Bill
> >>
> >> I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I assume you want the server name to
> >> be
> >> different depending on which client machine you log onto? The only way I
> >> can see you achieving this is to set the user profile path to something
> >> like
> >> \\%profileserver%\users\%username% and set the %profileserver%
> >> environment
> >> variable when the client boots.
> >>
> >> Probably a better approach is to identify which settings should be common
> >> across all client machines and implement those in a GPO linked to an OU.
> >> Inside that OU, create OU's for specific client machine sets and apply
> >> another GPO to each of those OU's that set the unique settings for that
> >> group of client machines. If the policy settings are specific to the
> >> "User
> >> Configuration" parts of the GPO's, you can use policy loopback as I
> >> mentioned earlier:
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/grppolsc.mspx
> >>
> >> It's really worthwhile reading the document that I mentioned before. If
> >> it
> >> doesn't answer your questions specifically, it'll give some good
> >> practices
> >> that you can then adapt to your specific scenario.
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> --
> >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> >> Windows Platform Support Team
> >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "Arizona Bill" <ArizonaBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Bill

If I understand you correctly, you want profiles to be machine specific
rather than user specific. This can all be achieved with policy loopback.

Kind regards
--

> Mark,
>
> Basically, The Staff members have a manditory profile as do the student
> have a manitory profile. They are two separt profiles located on two
> different VLans. When a staff member sits at a student workstation on a
> separate VLan they will logon with the student profile. The items that
> are set in the profile are there Start -> Programs and any applications
> they might use.
>
> What I would like to be able to do is Map A network drive on the computer
> start up the V drive. it would look something like this
>
> \\server\profile =V drive
>
> Under the V drive there would be folders specified profile1, profile2,
> profile3, etc.
>
> Then in the User's profile path I would enter V:\profile1 for example and
> the user would log on and pull that profile.
>

> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill
>>
>> Without testing myself, you could use "set" in a startup script assigned
>> the computers via Group Policy.
>>
>> I don't follow your explanation of the the requirement. Can you clarify?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> --
>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> Windows Platform Support Team
>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>
>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
>> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

>> rights.
>>
>> "Arizona Bill" <ArizonaBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Mark, Thanks your assistance on this. That could possibly work but how
>> > should I set the %profileserver% environment on client boot?
>> >
>> > The main issue I have is that our CTO wants to be staff members to be
>> > able
>> > to user student workstations and pull the student profile. Having all
>> > the
>> > start->program files-> and applications that a student we be able to
>> > use.
>> > Student that are part of a special topic class that has designated
>> > machines with specific apps only showing those specific apps on the
>> > client
>> > machines.

Mark, that is exactly what I want. I want the profile to be machine specific and not user specific. Maybe I don't understand. I understand that the policy loop back defaults to the GPO Settings of the computer. But what I am not sure is how when I specify the profile path under the specified user. Lets say I have two servers Server1 and Server2 that house my two profiles. Now my staff user profile settings are \\server1\profile\staff
and my student is \\server2\profile\student.

Now a staff member logs onto the student workstation, and I have set in the GPO Policy Loopback. Is it going to change the profile that is loaded for server1\profile\staff -> server2\profile\student? That is where I am confused. I appoligize for my confusion.

Example. User1 - Profile path \\server1\profile\user

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Bill
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want profiles to be machine specific
> rather than user specific. This can all be achieved with policy loopback.
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> "Arizona Bill" <ArizonaBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mark,
> >
> > Basically, The Staff members have a manditory profile as do the student
> > have a manitory profile. They are two separt profiles located on two
> > different VLans. When a staff member sits at a student workstation on a
> > separate VLan they will logon with the student profile. The items that
> > are set in the profile are there Start -> Programs and any applications
> > they might use.
> >
> > What I would like to be able to do is Map A network drive on the computer
> > start up the V drive. it would look something like this
> >
> > \\server\profile =V drive
> >
> > Under the V drive there would be folders specified profile1, profile2,
> > profile3, etc.
> >
> > Then in the User's profile path I would enter V:\profile1 for example and
> > the user would log on and pull that profile.
> >

> > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Bill
> >>
> >> Without testing myself, you could use "set" in a startup script assigned
> >> the computers via Group Policy.
> >>
> >> I don't follow your explanation of the the requirement. Can you clarify?
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> --
> >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> >> Windows Platform Support Team
> >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "Arizona Bill" <ArizonaBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Bill

What I'm suggesting is that you develop one single baseline mandatory
profile that holds all of the common elements from both desktops.
Customisations to this baseline mandatory profile for each desktop would
then be done using group policy with loopback turned on.

If you must have two separate mandatory profiles, set a system environment
variable that specifies the server from which the profile will come and then
use this variable in the user profile path. Set the variable using a
computer startup script bound to group policy for the computer or some other
means that suits your environment.

Kind regards
--

> Mark, that is exactly what I want. I want the profile to be machine
> specific and not user specific. Maybe I don't understand. I understand
> that the policy loop back defaults to the GPO Settings of the computer.
> But what I am not sure is how when I specify the profile path under the
> specified user. Lets say I have two servers Server1 and Server2 that house
> my two profiles. Now my staff user profile settings are
> \\server1\profile\staff
> and my student is \\server2\profile\student.
>
> Now a staff member logs onto the student workstation, and I have set in
> the GPO Policy Loopback. Is it going to change the profile that is loaded
> for server1\profile\staff -> server2\profile\student? That is where I am
> confused. I appoligize for my confusion.
>
> Example. User1 - Profile path \\server1\profile\user
>

> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill
>>
>> If I understand you correctly, you want profiles to be machine specific
>> rather than user specific. This can all be achieved with policy
>> loopback.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> --
>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> Windows Platform Support Team
>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>
>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
>> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

>> rights.
>>
>> "Arizona Bill" <ArizonaBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Mark,
>> >
>> > Basically, The Staff members have a manditory profile as do the student
>> > have a manitory profile. They are two separt profiles located on two
>> > different VLans. When a staff member sits at a student workstation on
>> > separate VLan they will logon with the student profile. The items that
>> > are set in the profile are there Start -> Programs and any applications
>> > they might use.
>> >
>> > What I would like to be able to do is Map A network drive on the
>> > computer
>> > start up the V drive. it would look something like this
>> >
>> > \\server\profile =V drive
>> >
>> > Under the V drive there would be folders specified profile1, profile2,
>> > profile3, etc.
>> >
>> > Then in the User's profile path I would enter V:\profile1 for example
>> > and
>> > the user would log on and pull that profile.

Mark, The second option is the one I must use. This is what I have currently set up. A computer script specified to the OU through GPO mapping a UNC share to a DRIVE (EX. V:). When I set the variable v:\profile ("profile" bing the Manditory profile on the server) under the User profile settings. The Computer script maps this UNC path. When they user tries to log onto the workstation and their profile is V:\profile is says the Profile is unable to be loaded. the Profile path is not available. Why is that when I map a drive in the GPO under the computer configuration and set it to map V: Drive to \\server1\users\ it doesn't always map. Now when I log onto the system and double check the drive to see whether or not it is mapped using a none profiled account I can double click on the drive V: and it takes me to the server that it is mapped to.

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Bill
>
> What I'm suggesting is that you develop one single baseline mandatory
> profile that holds all of the common elements from both desktops.
> Customisations to this baseline mandatory profile for each desktop would
> then be done using group policy with loopback turned on.
>
> If you must have two separate mandatory profiles, set a system environment
> variable that specifies the server from which the profile will come and then
> use this variable in the user profile path. Set the variable using a
> computer startup script bound to group policy for the computer or some other
> means that suits your environment.
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> "Arizona Bill" <ArizonaBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mark, that is exactly what I want. I want the profile to be machine
> > specific and not user specific. Maybe I don't understand. I understand
> > that the policy loop back defaults to the GPO Settings of the computer.
> > But what I am not sure is how when I specify the profile path under the
> > specified user. Lets say I have two servers Server1 and Server2 that house
> > my two profiles. Now my staff user profile settings are
> > \\server1\profile\staff
> > and my student is \\server2\profile\student.
> >
> > Now a staff member logs onto the student workstation, and I have set in
> > the GPO Policy Loopback. Is it going to change the profile that is loaded
> > for server1\profile\staff -> server2\profile\student? That is where I am
> > confused. I appoligize for my confusion.
> >
> > Example. User1 - Profile path \\server1\profile\user
> >

> > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Bill
> >>
> >> If I understand you correctly, you want profiles to be machine specific
> >> rather than user specific. This can all be achieved with policy
> >> loopback.
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> --
> >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> >> Windows Platform Support Team
> >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "Arizona Bill" <ArizonaBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Bill

I'm not entirely sure but it's possible this doesn't work because the drive
mapping/load user profile processing order may not always occur in the
correct order. Is it not possible to have the user profile point to a share
and that share be dependent on the system variable?

\\%profilelocation%

Kind regards
--

> [...]
>> > specific and not user specific. Maybe I don't understand. I
>> > understand
>> > that the policy loop back defaults to the GPO Settings of the computer.
>> > But what I am not sure is how when I specify the profile path under the
>> > specified user. Lets say I have two servers Server1 and Server2 that
>> > house
>> > my two profiles. Now my staff user profile settings are
>> > \\server1\profile\staff
>> > and my student is \\server2\profile\student.
>> >
>> > Now a staff member logs onto the student workstation, and I have set in
>> > the GPO Policy Loopback. Is it going to change the profile that is
>> > loaded
>> > for server1\profile\staff -> server2\profile\student? That is where I
>> > am
>> > confused. I appoligize for my confusion.
>> >
>> > Example. User1 - Profile path \\server1\profile\user

TRENDING THREADS