How do I get HD with Tivo on my DIRECTV?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 29, 2004 11:51:17 PM

I have had DirecTV since '95, and a dual tuner Tivo receiver for the
last couple years, watching on a 32 inch Sony Trinitron the whole
time. Someone (probably my four year old) scratched the glass on the
screen, which is serving as my excuse to upgrade to HD. But I don't
want to give up DirecTV (I love the NFL Sunday Ticket, among other
things), and I more or less *can't* give up Tivo (it's like an
addiction, I admit it). I went to Circuit City's online site and
though I'm not a total dunce about electronics, I felt like one in
this case as I couldn't figure out what I need. I know I want a tube
set (they are cheapest but also the best picture, correct?), and it's
not that important that I be able to receive broadcast HD as I live
out in the sticks. So...what should I be looking for? Thanks so much
in advance for your help.

Alan

More about : tivo directv

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 3:40:13 AM

On 29 Apr 2004 19:51:17 -0700, alanslackerinc@yahoo.com (Alan) wrote:

HD DirecTV TIVO's are supposedly shipping in quantity early next month.
Though you may want to wait a little while for the price to come down.
But it may also not come down very much. Hard to tell right now.

>I have had DirecTV since '95, and a dual tuner Tivo receiver for the
>last couple years, watching on a 32 inch Sony Trinitron the whole
>time. Someone (probably my four year old) scratched the glass on the
>screen, which is serving as my excuse to upgrade to HD. But I don't
>want to give up DirecTV (I love the NFL Sunday Ticket, among other
>things), and I more or less *can't* give up Tivo (it's like an
>addiction, I admit it). I went to Circuit City's online site and
>though I'm not a total dunce about electronics, I felt like one in
>this case as I couldn't figure out what I need. I know I want a tube
>set (they are cheapest but also the best picture, correct?), and it's
>not that important that I be able to receive broadcast HD as I live
>out in the sticks. So...what should I be looking for? Thanks so much
>in advance for your help.
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 9:23:08 AM

George Thorogood <thorogood@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:<b6k390lteheicgn8iussib5sh9mel12vtu@4ax.com>...
> On 29 Apr 2004 19:51:17 -0700, alanslackerinc@yahoo.com (Alan) wrote:
>
> HD DirecTV TIVO's are supposedly shipping in quantity early next month.
> Though you may want to wait a little while for the price to come down.
> But it may also not come down very much. Hard to tell right now.

If the price doesn't come down, that would just about be a first for a
piece of consumer electronics.

>I have had DirecTV since '95, and a dual tuner Tivo receiver for the
> >last couple years, watching on a 32 inch Sony Trinitron the whole
> >time. Someone (probably my four year old) scratched the glass on the
> >screen, which is serving as my excuse to upgrade to HD. But I don't
> >want to give up DirecTV (I love the NFL Sunday Ticket, among other
> >things), and I more or less *can't* give up Tivo (it's like an
> >addiction, I admit it). I went to Circuit City's online site and
> >though I'm not a total dunce about electronics, I felt like one in
> >this case as I couldn't figure out what I need. I know I want a tube
> >set (they are cheapest but also the best picture, correct?), and it's
> >not that important that I be able to receive broadcast HD as I live
> >out in the sticks. So...what should I be looking for? Thanks so much
> >in advance for your help.
April 30, 2004 1:44:08 PM

On 30 Apr 2004 05:23:08 -0700, trader4@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

>George Thorogood <thorogood@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:<b6k390lteheicgn8iussib5sh9mel12vtu@4ax.com>...
>> On 29 Apr 2004 19:51:17 -0700, alanslackerinc@yahoo.com (Alan) wrote:
>>
>> HD DirecTV TIVO's are supposedly shipping in quantity early next month.
>> Though you may want to wait a little while for the price to come down.
>> But it may also not come down very much. Hard to tell right now.
>>

>If the price doesn't come down, that would just about be a first for a
>piece of consumer electronics.

Generally, yes. But HD stuff has been very slow to drop in price.
I am sure these new HD DirecTV TIVO's will drop in price eventually,
but the question is when? It may be a few years. My gut feeling
is not to expect any price reduction at all from the $999 price tag
for at least a few months.
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 4:51:39 PM

"Alan" <alanslackerinc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have had DirecTV since '95, and a dual tuner Tivo receiver for the
> last couple years, watching on a 32 inch Sony Trinitron the whole
> time. Someone (probably my four year old) scratched the glass on the
> screen, which is serving as my excuse to upgrade to HD. But I don't
> want to give up DirecTV (I love the NFL Sunday Ticket, among other
> things), and I more or less *can't* give up Tivo (it's like an
> addiction, I admit it).

You need to make two decisions:

1. What type of HDTV?
2. What type of directv receiver?

1. As you know you can get tube, plasma, rear projection, and front
projection. Tube sets are the cheapest, but picture quality is not always
the best. For the best HD, go with a 16:9 widescreen, unless you are
thinking front projection. Make sure you get at least 720 or 1080 native
vertical resolution. (Low end plasmas are only 480, and while you can watch
a 720 or 1080 picture, it will be downconverted). Other factors to consider:
size of the room, how many people, etc. These are all very personal choices.

2. DirecTV choices. You can add an HDTV receiver to your current setup and
still be able to record standard shows with TIVO, but you will only be able
to watch the HD channels live. Most shows and channels are still just fine
for Tivo.

You can also get in line and wait for an HD DirecTivo, which are now
shipping. They are not cheap but they will do the job of your current Tivo
and more, since it also has two OTA tuners.

Brad H
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 3:01:57 PM

> On 30 Apr 2004 05:23:08 -0700, trader4@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:
>
> >George Thorogood <thorogood@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> >> On 29 Apr 2004 19:51:17 -0700, alanslackerinc@yahoo.com (Alan) wrote:
> >>
> >> HD DirecTV TIVO's are supposedly shipping in quantity early next month.
> >> Though you may want to wait a little while for the price to come down.
> >> But it may also not come down very much. Hard to tell right now.
> >>

> >If the price doesn't come down, that would just about be a first for a
> >piece of consumer electronics.
>
> Generally, yes. But HD stuff has been very slow to drop in price.
> I am sure these new HD DirecTV TIVO's will drop in price eventually,
> but the question is when? It may be a few years. My gut feeling
> is not to expect any price reduction at all from the $999 price tag
> for at least a few months.

My gut feeling is that DTV will subsidize the price very soon (6-12 months)
after they start shipping. this is what happened with the original DirecTIVO
and with newer DTV HD recievers....
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 8:20:50 PM

Hd Tivo is out. Major stores in Dallas receiving 1st batch Monday. I agree
that the tube television are generally better picture for the price/life.
Get a sony XBR 40" or the sony XBR equivalent in the 16:9 aspect ratio. Do
not get the fv...get the XBR. Buy the HD Tivo unit HR10-250; its the only
Directv HD tivo available right now. It will record in the regular format
and the high definition format. You no longer have to choose between HD and
tivo.

"Alan" <alanslackerinc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have had DirecTV since '95, and a dual tuner Tivo receiver for the
> last couple years, watching on a 32 inch Sony Trinitron the whole
> time. Someone (probably my four year old) scratched the glass on the
> screen, which is serving as my excuse to upgrade to HD. But I don't
> want to give up DirecTV (I love the NFL Sunday Ticket, among other
> things), and I more or less *can't* give up Tivo (it's like an
> addiction, I admit it). I went to Circuit City's online site and
> though I'm not a total dunce about electronics, I felt like one in
> this case as I couldn't figure out what I need. I know I want a tube
> set (they are cheapest but also the best picture, correct?), and it's
> not that important that I be able to receive broadcast HD as I live
> out in the sticks. So...what should I be looking for? Thanks so much
> in advance for your help.
>
> Alan
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 3:08:50 PM

Neither Directv nor Tivo has anything on its website mentioning a HD
recorder. How do you come by the information that the first batch is to
reach Dallas today?

nielsdt

"gg" <gg@annon.com> wrote in message news:C7Qkc.8630$I%1.739630@attbi_s51...
> Hd Tivo is out. Major stores in Dallas receiving 1st batch Monday. I
agree
> that the tube television are generally better picture for the price/life.
> Get a sony XBR 40" or the sony XBR equivalent in the 16:9 aspect ratio.
Do
> not get the fv...get the XBR. Buy the HD Tivo unit HR10-250; its the only
> Directv HD tivo available right now. It will record in the regular format
> and the high definition format. You no longer have to choose between HD
and
> tivo.
>
> "Alan" <alanslackerinc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have had DirecTV since '95, and a dual tuner Tivo receiver for the
> > last couple years, watching on a 32 inch Sony Trinitron the whole
> > time. Someone (probably my four year old) scratched the glass on the
> > screen, which is serving as my excuse to upgrade to HD. But I don't
> > want to give up DirecTV (I love the NFL Sunday Ticket, among other
> > things), and I more or less *can't* give up Tivo (it's like an
> > addiction, I admit it). I went to Circuit City's online site and
> > though I'm not a total dunce about electronics, I felt like one in
> > this case as I couldn't figure out what I need. I know I want a tube
> > set (they are cheapest but also the best picture, correct?), and it's
> > not that important that I be able to receive broadcast HD as I live
> > out in the sticks. So...what should I be looking for? Thanks so much
> > in advance for your help.
> >
> > Alan

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 8:29:27 PM

"nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
> Neither Directv nor Tivo has anything on its website mentioning a HD
> recorder. How do you come by the information that the first batch is to
> reach Dallas today?
>
> nielsdt

I heard from Magnolia Hi-Fi in Seattle that they are to receive 120 units
today as well.
Anonymous
May 4, 2004 4:18:24 PM

"Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
news:D rCdnQg1JJ9TSAvdRVn-ig@comcast.com...

> "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
> > Neither Directv nor Tivo has anything on its website mentioning a HD
> > recorder. How do you come by the information that the first batch is to
> > reach Dallas today?
> >
> > nielsdt
>
> I heard from Magnolia Hi-Fi in Seattle that they are to receive 120 units
> today as well.

You can get a lot of info on Tivo and what's coming at the Tivoforum:
http://www.tivoforum.com/

Brad Houser
Anonymous
May 4, 2004 4:22:47 PM

"Brad Houser" <bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote in message

> "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
> news:D rCdnQg1JJ9TSAvdRVn-ig@comcast.com...
> >
> > "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
> > > Neither Directv nor Tivo has anything on its website mentioning a HD
> > > recorder. How do you come by the information that the first batch is
> > > reach Dallas today?
> > >
> > > nielsdt
> >
> > I heard from Magnolia Hi-Fi in Seattle that they are to receive 120
units
> > today as well.
> >

> You can get a lot of info on Tivo and what's coming at the Tivoforum:
> http://www.tivoforum.com/

Actually, this is the one I was thinking of:

http://www.tivocommunity.com

Brad
May 13, 2004 12:35:31 PM

Thanks for your responses!