location of user profile settings after reinstalling XP

Got the dreaded blue screen and "registry cannot load hive file" error msg
yesterday. After using the recovery console etc. to get XP up and running
again, I find that it has created an "owner.Bonnar" (Bonnar is the machine
name)user -- which is empty of all my files, favorites, programs but which my
session now defaults to. I am the only user of this machine and had set it
up with no logon screen. I can't seem to log on as "owner" -- the place
where all my programs and files are. How do I get access to my old
configurations?? I would like to set it up again to default to "owner".
1 answer Last reply
More about location user profile settings reinstalling

    Bonnar wrote:
    > Got the dreaded blue screen and "registry cannot load hive file"
    > error msg yesterday. After using the recovery console etc. to get XP
    > up and running again, I find that it has created an "owner.Bonnar"
    > (Bonnar is the machine name)user -- which is empty of all my files,
    > favorites, programs but which my session now defaults to. I am the
    > only user of this machine and had set it up with no logon screen. I
    > can't seem to log on as "owner" -- the place where all my programs
    > and files are. How do I get access to my old configurations?? I would
    > like to set it up again to default to "owner".

    You may be able to point the profile to the old owner profile in the
    registry.
    MAYBE.

    If all you really are concerned with (in the end) is the files and folders
    you had - then just go to c:\documents and settings\owner and take ownership
    of it and all subfolders (do this either way) as the user you are currently
    logged in as.

    How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
    on a shared folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

    Once you have taken ownership, you will find you can explore and move/copy
    things from the directory as needed. I suggest you just copy the My
    Documents contents, the Favorites contents and other files you created with
    the other user and just worry about getting the new desktop you have to look
    like the old one the same way you did before. It's a good upkeep project.

    However, if you insist on trying to make the new user completely into the
    old user..

    Make sure you "take ownership" as shown above then...

    Create a new adminstrative user.. (or log in as the actual administrator -
    just any user but the one you are logging on as now and want to change to
    use the old users profile) and log in as that new user/administrator user.

    Start -> RUN -> regedit

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

    Look for the SID (the really nasty looking number starting with S-1-5
    usually) folder that when you select it on the left and look on the right in
    the value for "ProfileImagePath" has the value for the user you are now
    logging in as profile path (from what you describe: %SystemDrive%\Documents
    and Settings\owner.Bonnar.) Change that to be the path of the old user you
    want it to be.. (from what you describe: %SystemDrive%\Documents and
    Settings\owner) and then close the regedit and reboot. Log on as the
    "Owner" and see if that helps.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Windows XP