wuau.adm - Does it download service packs?

Here's my issue
I have set up a group policy on our network that uses the wuau.adm
template to apply automatic/windows updates to clients.
(Windows 2000 DC's with SP4 and Windows 2000 clients)
The only one I configured was the first setting which is "Configure
Automatic Updates" which I set to 3- Auto download and notify for
updates.
The clients started downloading the updates and the users were able to
install them at their convenience.
Everything seems to be working fine except - service packs are not
being downloaded?? Does this template not download service packs as
well? (yes the machines have been rebooted after installing previously
applied updates)
If I go to Windows Update manually and check for available updates,
the site tells me I have everything except SP4 which is classified as
critical. The main purpose of this exercise was to get everyone on
SP4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dbkdorf

It should download service packs. I take it you approved the "Network
Install for IT Professionals" version of SP4 on the SUS server.

I hate to sound smug, but it works for me.

Take a look at the logs and make sure that the SP4 file was downloaded
without any errors and also dive into the content directory to check
manually that the file for SP4 exists. Check the Windows Update.log file in
your Windows directory for clues.

More hints and tips are available at www.susserver.com. Also, queries
regarding SUS should go in:

microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

Hope this helps

Oli

"dbkdorf" <dbkdorf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Here's my issue
> I have set up a group policy on our network that uses the wuau.adm
> template to apply automatic/windows updates to clients.
> (Windows 2000 DC's with SP4 and Windows 2000 clients)
> The only one I configured was the first setting which is "Configure
> Automatic Updates" which I set to 3- Auto download and notify for
> updates.
> The clients started downloading the updates and the users were able to
> install them at their convenience.
> Everything seems to be working fine except - service packs are not
> being downloaded?? Does this template not download service packs as
> well? (yes the machines have been rebooted after installing previously
> applied updates)
> If I go to Windows Update manually and check for available updates,
> the site tells me I have everything except SP4 which is classified as
> critical. The main purpose of this exercise was to get everyone on
> SP4.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> dbkdorf

Thanks for the reply Oli,

Actually we're not on the same wavelength. I just used wuau.adm to set
up an OU to download using Group Policy directly from MS. I only
needed to do about 40 users as the rest of my 120 are already updated.
I don't presently have an SUS server. It downloaded and installed
everything but the SP's.
Can you only do this through SUS? I was aware you could do it with SUS
but thought you could do it just through Group Policy as well.
I've already used software installation to distribute just SP4 so the
point is kinda moot but I want to know for another reason. With WUS
coming out in Summer/Fall is it worthwhile to set up and learn SUS on
my network for 4 months.
No smug answers allowed.

Doug

"Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<OCQ9mS5MEHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> It should download service packs. I take it you approved the "Network
> Install for IT Professionals" version of SP4 on the SUS server.
>
> I hate to sound smug, but it works for me.
>
> Take a look at the logs and make sure that the SP4 file was downloaded
> without any errors and also dive into the content directory to check
> manually that the file for SP4 exists. Check the Windows Update.log file in
> your Windows directory for clues.
>
> More hints and tips are available at www.susserver.com. Also, queries
> regarding SUS should go in:
>
> microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Oli
>

> "dbkdorf" <dbkdorf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Here's my issue
> > I have set up a group policy on our network that uses the wuau.adm
> > template to apply automatic/windows updates to clients.
> > (Windows 2000 DC's with SP4 and Windows 2000 clients)
> > The only one I configured was the first setting which is "Configure
> > Automatic Updates" which I set to 3- Auto download and notify for
> > updates.
> > The clients started downloading the updates and the users were able to
> > install them at their convenience.
> > Everything seems to be working fine except - service packs are not
> > being downloaded?? Does this template not download service packs as
> > well? (yes the machines have been rebooted after installing previously
> > applied updates)
> > If I go to Windows Update manually and check for available updates,
> > the site tells me I have everything except SP4 which is classified as
> > critical. The main purpose of this exercise was to get everyone on
> > SP4.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > dbkdorf

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Is it worth it? I'd say it is. Who knows what security
updates / patches / worms / etc. will come out in the
mean time? It'll save you that much work in the meantime-
-provided you have the server to put it on.

I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about SUS.

With Windows Update, I'm really not sure.

Although you may have patched 120 users already, when it's time to apply the
next patch, you'll have 160 machines to do all over again. That's
definitely SUS territory, although I'd still deploy it for only 40 users.

Cheers

> Thanks for the reply Oli,
>
> Actually we're not on the same wavelength. I just used wuau.adm to set
> up an OU to download using Group Policy directly from MS. I only
> needed to do about 40 users as the rest of my 120 are already updated.
> I don't presently have an SUS server. It downloaded and installed
> everything but the SP's.
> Can you only do this through SUS? I was aware you could do it with SUS
> but thought you could do it just through Group Policy as well.
> I've already used software installation to distribute just SP4 so the
> point is kinda moot but I want to know for another reason. With WUS
> coming out in Summer/Fall is it worthwhile to set up and learn SUS on
> my network for 4 months.
> No smug answers allowed.
>
> Doug
>
> "Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> It should download service packs. I take it you approved the "Network
>> Install for IT Professionals" version of SP4 on the SUS server.
>>
>> I hate to sound smug, but it works for me.
>>
>> Take a look at the logs and make sure that the SP4 file was downloaded
>> without any errors and also dive into the content directory to check
>> manually that the file for SP4 exists. Check the Windows Update.log file
>> in
>> your Windows directory for clues.
>>
>> More hints and tips are available at www.susserver.com. Also, queries
>> regarding SUS should go in:
>>
>> microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Oli
>>

>> "dbkdorf" <dbkdorf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Here's my issue
>> > I have set up a group policy on our network that uses the wuau.adm
>> > template to apply automatic/windows updates to clients.
>> > (Windows 2000 DC's with SP4 and Windows 2000 clients)
>> > The only one I configured was the first setting which is "Configure
>> > Automatic Updates" which I set to 3- Auto download and notify for
>> > updates.
>> > The clients started downloading the updates and the users were able to
>> > install them at their convenience.
>> > Everything seems to be working fine except - service packs are not
>> > being downloaded?? Does this template not download service packs as
>> > well? (yes the machines have been rebooted after installing previously
>> > applied updates)
>> > If I go to Windows Update manually and check for available updates,
>> > the site tells me I have everything except SP4 which is classified as
>> > critical. The main purpose of this exercise was to get everyone on
>> > SP4.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > dbkdorf

Thanks Oli

I have a server becoming available at the end of this week. I plan on
setting it up on the weekend.

Doug