I chose to go with Intel C2D E6600 and Asus P5B-E, now I need a memory,
I'll be runing XP home until vista and driver compatibility cools down,
so I don't wanna get 2GB memory now, I would like to get 1GB stick and
when ready get another one, my price range is $100-$130,
and I would like to go with Corsair as a brand,
also like I said in my other thread I'll be OC but not to the extreme random reboots etc.
what DDR2 800 do you guys can recommend, newegg.com is my store
I just built my first PC and have the same motherboard. Do you know what revision your motherboard is (e.g., 1.01 or 1.02)? If 1.01 it will only over clock my memory with 2.2 volts versus 2.4 volts for 1.02 (I believe that this is the case any way). Keep this in mind when purchasing your memory.
I am looking for more memory as well as I will be going to Vista as well for Direct X 10 gaming. I plan to purchase a 2 GB kit of hopefully Micron D9GMH or D9GKX this week if I can find a good deal.
Here is my configuration so far; Antec Nine Hundred case w/ Ultra XVS Modular 500W ATX Power Supply, Asus P5B-E Motherboard, Intel 2 Dual Core 2 6300 processor, PNY 8800GTS, WD 160 GB SATA Hard Drive (8GB & 150MB/sec DTR), and a whopping 256 MB of PNY DDR2 memory.
I would also appreciate some input on this. I have the C2D E6600 and the Asus P5B in my Newegg shopping cart right now. I'm looking to get 2GB of RAM in my cart today too.
Would it be safe for me to assume that I'm going to receive version 1.02 of this mobo? (Sorry for the mobo question in the memory forums)
I plan on OCing my 6600 to somewhere between 3.0 and 3.4 - nothing too extreme so I can hopefully assume that will leave my memory options more open? I might be incorrect in this statement as I am still learning.
My friend recommended G.SKILL which he has been using for over 6 months now in an OC'd Opteron system. I'm going to continue to do research the rest of the day (instead of work - of course!) but I'll check back later.
Is it the P5B or the P5B-E that you are getting? I don't think you want the P5B (just my 2 cents). If I ordered through Newegg I would have went with a better board than mine, which I purchased locally cost $170.00:
ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP motherboard $194.99
Item #: N82E16813131028
From the Newegg reviews for the CPU you just mentioned:
"This processor is the exact same chip at the Core 2 Duo E6600. There is no FPU or SMID instrustion difference. You are simply busy a re-branded, more expensive Core 2 Duo E6600. You are paying extra for the name."
Can anyone else comment on this? (This thread could now be moved into the CPU and/or mobo forums, too ;p )
EDIT: Ok - so basically if I get this Xeon I'll be getting the cream of the crop and have a much higher success rate for overclocking? Is this statement true?
From what I gather with Xeon they are tested for server environement. Normally this is for 24/7 50c ambient operation vs something like 30-35 for consumer(someone correct the number if they're too off). Which means that the chips are binned for operation in 'rougher' environement. Usually you will reach the same level of overclock but with slightly lower vCore and possibly a cooler chip.
I think it is worth the extra 11$. I am not sure the Newegg reviewer is actually right, mostly clueless people there! I heard that there is subtle micro code difference that make it faster for server type usage(high I/O, scientific code) vs consumer multimedia use. But this is still negligeble and probably needs hours a benchmarking to even show up.
@The op: This stick has super tight timing for the price, I need to investigate more on it to see what's under the hood but it look great!
Slightly more expensive But is a well established product through the OCing community you can't go wrong, little of budget though
Well if I were buying that processor I would spend the extra $11.00 for the possibility of better clock rates. If nothing else you will at least have bragging rights and not be a part of the status quo.
Thanks phogstenjr for recommending that cpu. And thanks to labbbby for reconfirming what I just recently read. I've decided to go with the Xeon 3060 so in a year I will feel better about trying to push it beyond 3.4 or whatever I clock it at.
I'm going to order my mobo, cpu, and cpu cooler today and then wait and see which version of the mobo I receive (1.01 or 1.02) and then make my decision about the ram.
Thanks again guys.
Good choice, you should not wait a year though =), one week is enough! hehe.
Unfortunately I won't be able to order any RAM until the end of the month unless H&R Block approves me for that 'bring your check stub in' early refund feature they're offering. I hope they do; I can't wait to get this beast up and running.