How can I delete a policy?

Barton

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

As i've found some problems on my GPO, i used gpresult and browse the group
policy object to check out whats wrong with that. However, by using
gpresult, i've found out many duplicate policy under user settings.
and here's the list

desktop wallpaper policy
folder desktop redirection policy
desktop wallpaper policy
software policy
folder desktop redirection policy
proxy & internet expolorer policy
default domain policy, wallpaper scr
folder desktop redirection policy

im very confuse for that, as i jsut start to work out the gpo for this
company.
so i started to browse what policy objects stored in this domain
and here's the result

default domain controllers policy
default domain policy, wallpaper scr
folder desktop redirection policy
proxy & internet expolorer policy
software policy
pilot software

and now im told to remove the wallpaper from the policy, however, i cant
delete the
"default domain policy, wallpaper scr", it said i dont have appropriate
rights, however i can delete some other policy, moreover, i cant find any
policy "desktop wallpaper" from the GPO list.

its such a mess right now, can anyone help me to solve the problem?
thanks

(sorry for my poor english. )

You probably have multiple entries of the same setting because those settings are
configured in more than one GPO including possibly the local GPO of a computer that
can be accessed via gpedit.msc. Keep in mind that policy is applied in this order
local>site>domain>OU. with the last defined setting being applied if it is defined in
multiple GPO's. If there is more than one GPO in a container, the one at the top has
the highest priority. Gpresult will show all the GPO's that a user or computer is
receiving settings from. You probably do not want to "delete" a Group Policy but
instead disable the setting. If you are denied access make sure you are logging on as
a domain administrator and that you have full control to the container containing the
GPO itself and in GPO properties/security. If necessary, you could create a new GPO
for a container [domain/OU] , put it at the top of the list and define any settings
the way you want them to be possibly using disabling settings to override other
settings that are currently enabled that you no longer want. The setting you are
looking for is in user configuration/administrative templates/control panel/display
or possibly in administrative templates/desktop/active desktop if you are using
Active Desktop. The link below may be helpful. If you have an XP Pro SP1 domain
member you can use Group Policy management Console to manage your Group Policy for a
W2K domain and will find it much easier to track down problems. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/management/groupsteps.asp

"barton" <barton@bb.com> wrote in message
> As i've found some problems on my GPO, i used gpresult and browse the group
> policy object to check out whats wrong with that. However, by using
> gpresult, i've found out many duplicate policy under user settings.
> and here's the list

> desktop wallpaper policy
> folder desktop redirection policy
> desktop wallpaper policy
> software policy
> folder desktop redirection policy
> proxy & internet expolorer policy
> default domain policy, wallpaper scr
> folder desktop redirection policy
>
> im very confuse for that, as i jsut start to work out the gpo for this
> company.
> so i started to browse what policy objects stored in this domain
> and here's the result

> default domain controllers policy
> default domain policy, wallpaper scr
> folder desktop redirection policy
> proxy & internet expolorer policy
> software policy
> pilot software
>

> and now im told to remove the wallpaper from the policy, however, i cant
> delete the
> "default domain policy, wallpaper scr", it said i dont have appropriate
> rights, however i can delete some other policy, moreover, i cant find any
> policy "desktop wallpaper" from the GPO list.
>
> its such a mess right now, can anyone help me to solve the problem?
> thanks
>
> (sorry for my poor english. )

Barton

Distinguished