Help me MR. Wizard lol gear up for windows vista

tellahh

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
:roll: I desire to build a new PC geared toward running vista ultimate.
I have had nightmares with asus Mb's and like AMD cpu's . I'm thinking athlon 64x2 for my cpu. I know that if a cpu and MB combo are rated stable for extreme overclocking then if not overclocked they perform flawlessly. Would any of you extreme wizards recomend a cpu MB combo for me please? I game so the graphics capability is a definate consideration. Also I like to buy mid range I have learned that paying for top performance is not the best way to stretch a dollar. The game I primarily play is FFXI online on the gilgimesh server. It will not be compatable with vista till the bugs are worked out so I'll have to run dual boot for a while till I can loose xp pro. Any thoughts on this would be most helpful to this novice tyvm for your time

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Dollar for dollar, the new Intel CPU's dominate the X2's...I'd recommend an Intel based system:

motherboard with nVidia 680i chipset - $250
Intel Core2duo E6600 proccessor - $315
2GB DDR2-800 RAM - $220
nVidia 8800GTS video card - $400

Good luck!

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Im with mia, Intel's core 2 duo is definately the side you should be leaning towards.
BUT, the e6400 will suffice. and the gts, thats an overkill. If you are going to wait until the bugs are fixed for your game, you might as well wait for the new batch of dx10 cards(for vista).
anyway, play around with the set up suggested ^.