Roaming User Profiles Problem

I'm trying to configure roaming user profiles. I made a group policy on the
domain that redirects Application Data, Desktop and My Documents to the
following locations on the server: \Server\UserDocs\%USERNAME%\Application
Data, \\Server\userdocs\%username%\Desktop, \\Server\userdocs\%username%\My
Documents. The test user account that this policy applies to can log on at
one computer, save files to the desktop and My Documents, log off, log onto
another computer, and those files are available. However, desktop background
settings, Internet Explorer default page, printer, Word toolbars, and other
similar settings are not. Any idea what I did wrong?
Thanks in advance for your help!
David
2 answers Last reply
More about roaming user profiles problem

    David-
    What you've configured is folder redirection--not roaming profiles. They are
    completely different. The settings that you're missing are stored in
    c:\documents and settings\%username%\ntuser.dat. In order to truly create a
    roaming profile, where this file is available wherever the user logs on, you
    need to enter a profile path into the attributes on the AD user's object in
    AD Users and Computers. Check out the Profile tab on a given user account
    and enter a roaming profile path there. If its entered there, then the next
    time the user logs off their workstation, all of their settings are copied
    up to the profile path. When the user goes to logon to a new workstation,
    those settings are copied back down to that new workstation and are
    available to them.

    Darren

    "David" <deaton@nospamever.dsnonline.org> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to configure roaming user profiles. I made a group policy on
    the
    > domain that redirects Application Data, Desktop and My Documents to the
    > following locations on the server: \Server\UserDocs\%USERNAME%\Application
    > Data, \\Server\userdocs\%username%\Desktop,
    \\Server\userdocs\%username%\My
    > Documents. The test user account that this policy applies to can log on at
    > one computer, save files to the desktop and My Documents, log off, log
    onto
    > another computer, and those files are available. However, desktop
    background
    > settings, Internet Explorer default page, printer, Word toolbars, and
    other
    > similar settings are not. Any idea what I did wrong?
    > Thanks in advance for your help!
    > David

    Darren,
    Thanks for your help. It works great now!
    David

    "Darren Mar-Elia" <fermentedgrape@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > David-
    > What you've configured is folder redirection--not roaming profiles. They
    are
    > completely different. The settings that you're missing are stored in
    > c:\documents and settings\%username%\ntuser.dat. In order to truly create
    > roaming profile, where this file is available wherever the user logs on,
    you
    > need to enter a profile path into the attributes on the AD user's object
    in
    > AD Users and Computers. Check out the Profile tab on a given user account
    > and enter a roaming profile path there. If its entered there, then the
    next
    > time the user logs off their workstation, all of their settings are copied
    > up to the profile path. When the user goes to logon to a new workstation,
    > those settings are copied back down to that new workstation and are
    > available to them.
    >
    > Darren
    >
    > "David" <deaton@nospamever.dsnonline.org> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to configure roaming user profiles. I made a group policy on
    > the
    > > domain that redirects Application Data, Desktop and My Documents to the
    > > following locations on the server:
    \Server\UserDocs\%USERNAME%\Application
    > > Data, \\Server\userdocs\%username%\Desktop,
    > \\Server\userdocs\%username%\My
    > > Documents. The test user account that this policy applies to can log on
    at
    > > one computer, save files to the desktop and My Documents, log off, log
    > onto
    > > another computer, and those files are available. However, desktop
    > background
    > > settings, Internet Explorer default page, printer, Word toolbars, and
    > other
    > > similar settings are not. Any idea what I did wrong?
    > > Thanks in advance for your help!
    > > David

Policy Desktops Servers Windows