Defining authenticating DC with AD

I have a "small" problem:
here the scenario
Win2k domain with all 2k servers and workstation, AD working, policies
in place, I have about 25 offices all linked by t1 lines, each branch
has its own 2k domain server, users get their menus from a DFS
location that exist on all servers. Question: How can I force all
clients to use their branch server for both authentication and menu?
Right now what I see is that some users get authenticated by a server
that resides in another branch and the worst case is when the menus
are handed out by other branches servers.. it slows everything out.
Thank you for your help
3 answers Last reply
More about defining authenticating

    Have you created separate sites for your branch offices in AD Sites &
    Services? Since authentication and DFS access are site-aware, each of these
    will first attempt to use a resource in the local site, which will cut down
    on requests going across your T1 lines.

    --
    ******************************
    Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP

    "Funky_gallo" <poohmania@iwon.com> wrote in message
    >I have a "small" problem:
    > here the scenario
    > Win2k domain with all 2k servers and workstation, AD working, policies
    > in place, I have about 25 offices all linked by t1 lines, each branch
    > has its own 2k domain server, users get their menus from a DFS
    > location that exist on all servers. Question: How can I force all
    > clients to use their branch server for both authentication and menu?
    > Right now what I see is that some users get authenticated by a server
    > that resides in another branch and the worst case is when the menus
    > are handed out by other branches servers.. it slows everything out.
    > Thank you for your help

    Your clients will always authenticate agains a DC in the same site if you
    have configured your site boundaries properly.

    Regards

    Niclas Lindblom

    "Funky_gallo" <poohmania@iwon.com> wrote in message
    >I have a "small" problem:
    > here the scenario
    > Win2k domain with all 2k servers and workstation, AD working, policies
    > in place, I have about 25 offices all linked by t1 lines, each branch
    > has its own 2k domain server, users get their menus from a DFS
    > location that exist on all servers. Question: How can I force all
    > clients to use their branch server for both authentication and menu?
    > Right now what I see is that some users get authenticated by a server
    > that resides in another branch and the worst case is when the menus
    > are handed out by other branches servers.. it slows everything out.
    > Thank you for your help

    Thank you for your reply... we tried sites and had a heck of time synching
    all the sites so we went with the default site, I could go back and retry
    I'm just wondering if I could some how create OUs for each branch and define
    the server for each one
    "Laura E. Hunter (MVP)" <hunter(nospamplease)@sfs.upenn.edu> wrote in
    message news:u1FO5aFNEHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Have you created separate sites for your branch offices in AD Sites &
    > Services? Since authentication and DFS access are site-aware, each of
    these
    > will first attempt to use a resource in the local site, which will cut
    down
    > on requests going across your T1 lines.
    >
    > --
    > ******************************
    > Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP
    > Replies to newsgroup only
    >

    > "Funky_gallo" <poohmania@iwon.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a "small" problem:
    > > here the scenario
    > > Win2k domain with all 2k servers and workstation, AD working, policies
    > > in place, I have about 25 offices all linked by t1 lines, each branch
    > > has its own 2k domain server, users get their menus from a DFS
    > > location that exist on all servers. Question: How can I force all
    > > clients to use their branch server for both authentication and menu?
    > > Right now what I see is that some users get authenticated by a server
    > > that resides in another branch and the worst case is when the menus
    > > are handed out by other branches servers.. it slows everything out.
    > > Thank you for your help

Domain Microsoft Servers Windows