whick brand i should pick up !?!?

nesso

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Hey dudes.. i want to buy a 160GB SATA-150 or SATA-300.
and i want to know .. which of these o think is better

- Maxtor
- Seagate
- Samsung
- Wester Digital

ahhh .. another question .. do u think i should pick SATA-300 ?!? or SATA-150 is good enought ?

thx

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
In my opinion the order is:
1-Seagate /Western Digital
2-Maxtor
3- samsung

I've own several Western digital HD's and they have never given me any trouble, seagete hasn't either but I'v only had one of them for a year or so..
2- I'v personally never liked maxtor because I got two bad disks in a row
3- Samsung is always a last choice except in monitors

For the 150/300 ypu should be fine with either one, several reviews and benchmarks show no significant difference between them.

Hope it helps

PD: you should know that the word you were supposed to use in the title is "brand" instead of "mark" (is your native language spanish?? as in "marca" = "mark")

nesso

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
In my opinion the order is:
1-Seagate /Western Digital
2-Maxtor
3- samsung

I've own several Western digital HD's and they have never given me any trouble, seagete hasn't either but I'v only had one of them for a year or so..
2- I'v personally never liked maxtor because I got two bad disks in a row
3- Samsung is always a last choice except in monitors

For the 150/300 ypu should be fine with either one, several reviews and benchmarks show no significant difference between them.

Hope it helps

PD: you should know that the word you were supposed to use in the title is "brand" instead of "mark" (is your native language spanish?? as in "marca" = "mark")

thx dude.. i´m from brazil haha .. and i had forgot the word ^^
it´s right now :)

sailer

Splendid
I've had good luck with both Western Digital and Seagate. Never owned a Samsung, so can't say anything about it. Have owned a Maxtor and never want to have one again, as it failed fast and hard.

Given a choice between a SATA 150 or Sata 300, I'd look for a Sata 300 first, unles I was getting a Raptor which is SATA 150. SATA 300 may not be of much use at the moment, but sometime the various companies will firgure out to use the extra power and then it will be great. Since it isn't any more expensive from what I've seen, there's no reason not to get it.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
My personal preference is Western Digital, but if the price was right, I would also buy a Seagate. Three of my friends have had failures with Maxtor- DO NOT BUY ONE! Samsung drives are fairly reliable, but tend to be a little slower.

Buy a SATA 300 drive. Not because of the extra data bandwidth, but because the SATA 300 drives usually have a 16 mb cache.

Best of Luck

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Seagate drives come with a 5 year warranty. Never used the warranty. Don't really know how good the warranty is. But I go with Seagate anyway because of the warranty ... unless I think I'm getting a really great net cost/GB deal. :wink:

-john