XP Home does not remember user/pass on Win 2000 machine

Hi all, I have a customer with a peculiar problem. There is a notebook
running win XP Home (SP2) that will not remember the user name and
password to connect to a machine running Win 2000 Pro. There are other
users on the same network that connect no problem, even a couple of 98
machines. This will show the system as present, but will always prompt
for the Username and Password before they can use the printer or files
on the system. It's a small nuisance of course, just have to enter the
info each time the notebook comes online, but it would be nice to have
it log onto the Win 2000 system automatically on boot up.

Am I missing something basic here? I have never had an XP machine with
this symptom before.

Thanks

- Tim -
8 answers Last reply
More about home remember user pass 2000 machine

    What kind of network?

    "Tim" <tim@tim.tim> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I have a customer with a peculiar problem. There is a notebook
    > running win XP Home (SP2) that will not remember the user name and
    > password to connect to a machine running Win 2000 Pro. There are other
    > users on the same network that connect no problem, even a couple of 98
    > machines. This will show the system as present, but will always prompt
    > for the Username and Password before they can use the printer or files
    > on the system. It's a small nuisance of course, just have to enter the
    > info each time the notebook comes online, but it would be nice to have
    > it log onto the Win 2000 system automatically on boot up.
    >
    > Am I missing something basic here? I have never had an XP machine with
    > this symptom before.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > - Tim -

    Just a peer to peer. They have a system that just hosts all their files
    that is running the 2000 pro. The file host system also provides the
    default printer connection. Should be a simple procedure to setup the
    network, but this little problem is irritating. I'm thinking that maybe
    it has to log into a domain etc. at startup, to get access to the
    Win2000 Pro system.

    - Tim -

    In article <eJGq3kxCFHA.328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> says...
    > What kind of network?

    Home cannot log into a domain, so that is out. It might need an
    infrasturcture network, like the one XP can set up.

    > Just a peer to peer. They have a system that just hosts all their files
    > that is running the 2000 pro. The file host system also provides the
    > default printer connection. Should be a simple procedure to setup the
    > network, but this little problem is irritating. I'm thinking that maybe
    > it has to log into a domain etc. at startup, to get access to the
    > Win2000 Pro system.
    >
    > - Tim -
    >
    > In article <eJGq3kxCFHA.328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Colin Barnhorst"
    > <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> says...
    >> What kind of network?

    Here's the weird thing, there are 2 other XP Home systems on the
    network, and they connect fine, they authenicate as soon as you click a
    folder on the 2000 system in file explorer, with no input whatsoever
    from the user. The mapped drives appear as diconnected at first, then
    connect on the first use. I checked them both for anything different,
    but all seem to be the same.

    In article <ep6uY$9CFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> says...
    > Home cannot log into a domain, so that is out. It might need an
    > infrasturcture network, like the one XP can set up.

    It sounds like an infrastructure network. There has to be a box running a
    server os and acting as a domain controller for anything else.

    > Here's the weird thing, there are 2 other XP Home systems on the
    > network, and they connect fine, they authenicate as soon as you click a
    > folder on the 2000 system in file explorer, with no input whatsoever
    > from the user. The mapped drives appear as diconnected at first, then
    > connect on the first use. I checked them both for anything different,
    > but all seem to be the same.
    >
    > In article <ep6uY$9CFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Colin Barnhorst"
    > <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> says...
    >> Home cannot log into a domain, so that is out. It might need an
    >> infrasturcture network, like the one XP can set up.

    infrastucture? is that like peer to peer in the 98 days? See, this setup
    was configured by one of those companys that tries to make everything
    confusing and locked down to make sure you have to call them for
    everything you want to change.

    - Tim -

    In article <uevXic#CFHA.3324@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> says...
    > It sounds like an infrastructure network. There has to be a box running a
    > server os and acting as a domain controller for anything else.

    No. It is the type of network set up by running the Home Networking wizard
    in XP.

    > infrastucture? is that like peer to peer in the 98 days? See, this setup
    > was configured by one of those companys that tries to make everything
    > confusing and locked down to make sure you have to call them for
    > everything you want to change.
    >
    > - Tim -
    >
    > In article <uevXic#CFHA.3324@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Colin Barnhorst"
    > <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> says...
    >> It sounds like an infrastructure network. There has to be a box running
    >> server os and acting as a domain controller for anything else.

    OK I know what you mean now.... I'll give it a try.....

    - Tim -

    In article <OJ1rw5#CFHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> says...
    > No. It is the type of network set up by running the Home Networking wizard
    > in XP.

Connection Windows XP