Don't Run Specified Windows Applications

Is it possible to block the sasser virus by doing the
following?:

If the virus had a unique executable name, I'd enter it
into the "Don't Run Specified Windows Applications" list
in our domain Group Policy Object, and make sure the
setting is enabled.

In the case of sasser, it would be avserve.exe,
avserve2.exe, and skynetave.exe. I would think those are
unique and not used by other programs?

Will this work and do you recommend it?
1 answer Last reply
More about windows applications

    It would not hurt to try but it may not work as if you read the full explanation of
    that setting it says it will not work for running applications form the command
    prompt. My experience is that sometimes it will and sometimes it won't work at
    restricting an application at the command prompt. --- Steve

    "jr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to block the sasser virus by doing the
    > following?:
    >
    > If the virus had a unique executable name, I'd enter it
    > into the "Don't Run Specified Windows Applications" list
    > in our domain Group Policy Object, and make sure the
    > setting is enabled.
    >
    > In the case of sasser, it would be avserve.exe,
    > avserve2.exe, and skynetave.exe. I would think those are
    > unique and not used by other programs?
    >
    > Will this work and do you recommend it?

Policy Virus Microsoft Windows