Don't Run Specified Windows Applications

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 9, 2004 6:44:32 PM

Is it possible to block the sasser virus by doing the
following?:

If the virus had a unique executable name, I'd enter it
into the "Don't Run Specified Windows Applications" list
in our domain Group Policy Object, and make sure the
setting is enabled.

In the case of sasser, it would be avserve.exe,
avserve2.exe, and skynetave.exe. I would think those are
unique and not used by other programs?

Will this work and do you recommend it?
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 3:06:32 AM

It would not hurt to try but it may not work as if you read the full explanation of
that setting it says it will not work for running applications form the command
prompt. My experience is that sometimes it will and sometimes it won't work at
restricting an application at the command prompt. --- Steve

!