searching group policy

Janet

I'm new to group policy, but am I understanding correctly
that there is no way to search for particular settings
other than to export settings to a text file? I want to
turn off the C$ default share, and I went to go search
for that setting, and found no search capabilities. Is
there any reference guide?

Thanks for you input,

Janet

It is best to go through and look at the various settings to get a general
idea where they are. There are a lot of settings, but they are organized
fairly well. There is not direct setting to disable the administrative
shares. One possibility is to use Group Policy to disable the server service
on a group of machines keeping in mind that you will no longer be able to
manage them remotely if need be. You can also control who has access to a
computer over the network with the user right "access this computer from the
network". The administrative share can be useful and I would be more
concerned with making sure you have a good password policy including
enabling password complexity, having a minimum password length of seven, and
enabling account lockout with a threshold of no less than ten and a lockout
period of five minutes or so which will eliminate the need for administrator
intervention to unlock an account yet deter brute force password attacks
which can also be detected by auditing for logon events on computers. The
link below explains a registry mod to disable administrative shares which
probably can be implemented via Group Policy startup scripts [I am not a
script guru and don't know how offhand]. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314984