Unable to open default domain policy:unspecified error

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone has seen this. When I try to open the default GPO, it gives the following message. "Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate rights. Details:Unspecified Error" I have perused this and other sites for the last few days, but have been unable to locate any information for this specific error. I have reset permissions on the policy in question, taken ownership, re-applied permissions on the .adm files, beat it with a hammer, none of which has resulted in the opening of the policy. Has anyone seen this? I can however create new policies and edit them with no problem. What would happen if I deleted the Default Domain Policy, other than losing the settings?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks,
James

Rather than manually deleting the policy, try running 'dcgpofix', which will
drop the policy and re-create it using default settings.

If you've created any backup copies of the policy using GPMC, you can try
restoring an older version and re-updating it as well.

Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP - Windows Networking
Replies to newsgroup only
"lantekk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has seen this. When I try to open the default
GPO, it gives the following message. "Failed to open the Group Policy
Object. You may not have appropriate rights. Details:Unspecified Error" I
have perused this and other sites for the last few days, but have been
unable to locate any information for this specific error. I have reset
permissions on the policy in question, taken ownership, re-applied
permissions on the .adm files, beat it with a hammer, none of which has
resulted in the opening of the policy. Has anyone seen this? I can however
create new policies and edit them with no problem. What would happen if I
deleted the Default Domain Policy, other than losing the settings?

> Ideas? Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Will this restore the permissions on the default domain GPO, as well? It is the only GPO that I can't get into....

Thanks for the help

James