Demise as a business model

I know its already been hashed to death, but I've been thinking again
about the assumptions that are made about EQ coming to an end, and why
NWN has already been written off by Bioware (at least they've said there
will be no more expansions, which seems like they don't plan to make
lots more money off it)

Normal practice in CRPGs is to release the game, garner sales, after a
while, release an expansion which sells mostly to original owners of the
game but which might also bring in some new players to buy both. Then
you release a gold edition with the original game plus expansion
combined, hoping to pick up some more of those new players. IF the game
is good enough you might be able to repeat the process with a second
expansion.

By then, your gaming engine is grown old and warty, so you let it lie
fallow for a bit, then you put out CRPG II, which is based on the old
game but with a new shiny engine, and repeat the process.

Revenue in this scheme comes entirely from purchasers, so its definately
publish or perish, and its about selling those boxes when you release
them. It makes little sense to continue to prop up an old game after
its been out there a while, if you can instead sell people on a whole
new one. Every time you come out with an expansion, you find you've
lost some of the original purchasers, and tend not to replace them with
as many new purchasers.

Recently, though, there have been a couple new business models.

Neverwinter Nights is not really a game, its a game engine and module
creator, that happens to have a fairly robust sample module included.
Its not the first to do this by any means, but its an interesting sample
of the idea. Here, sales are still generated by the old school model,
the company only makes money on selling the box, the expansion, the gold
edition, the next expansion. Players, on the other hand, get content
from each other, turning the NWN "multiverse" into a truely vast slew of
modules, not to mention some "persistant worlds" where people can come
and go at will in a MMOG environment with changing content.

NWN, though, is still a dead end, IMO, for the game company selling it,
because just like the old school CRPGs, they sell only the boxes, and
demand tends to drop. The improvement comes in that as time goes on
there are more and more player created modules, which means that new
customers get a better and better "buy", and anyone coming up with a new
game on the same scheme will have very little content available to
compete with the established bulk of already written NWN modules out there.

Look, though, at the subscription model, games such as EverQuest. Here,
in addition to selling boxes of the game itself, they also make money
off everyone who continues to play it, every month, without having to
create anything new or market it. I buy the original box for about the
same price as other games on the shelf, but that only gives me a month
of play. After that, I have to plunk down another ten bucks every month
(I know, its more than that now, but I'm thinking in round numbers) in
order to keep playing. Every now and again, an expansion comes out, or
a gold box, so they have the same revenue stream as other games... but
that subscription money changes the model radically. Of course there's
the cost of maintaining servers and some (getting more and more minimal)
customer service, but by and large its like they are selling me another
expansion box every two or three months.

Suddenly, instead of "how do we get new players to buy this box?" and
"hmm, I wonder if we can get enough of the current players to buy this
expansion?", its a question of "how do we keep those guys playing for
another month?"

I've been playing EQ for roughly four years. Say 40 bucks for the
original game, plus 30 bucks per expansion, more or less, thats $220
spent on boxes... and $480 on subscription fees. Contrast that to NWN's
original box plus two expansions for $100 total. EQ can also look
forward to another ten bucks a month for as long as I continue to play.
NWN can perhaps hope that I'll buy another expansion if they release
one, otherwise they are done making money from me on their game even if
I continue to play it for another ten years. EQ can hope just as
strongly that I'll buy their next expansion (at the moment I don't own
GOD and have little interest in it or OOW, although who knows, perhaps
that will change) but whether I do or not has no effect on that $10 a
month revenue stream.

Why replace your successful game? Well, for old school publishers, and
even for NWN, its because you aren't making any money off those players
anymore, and have reached a point where sales on expansions has reached
a point of diminishing returns.

But for EQ and its ilk, its harder for me to see the point. The
majority of money made off EQ seems to me to be from the monthly fees,
not from the sales of boxes.

Other reasons:

Old game engine. So, replace it. Is this really going to be harder to
do than creating a new engine -and- new races, classes, spells, etc etc
etc? It seems to me that EQ has already done this more than once, at
least on a piecemeal basis.

People tiring of the content. So make new content. Heck, take a page
from the NWN book and make new servers with entirely new and different
content that isn't connected to the old stuff. Use the engine from
original EQ, but a different world. Bet you could sell a lot of boxes
that way... although selling boxes isn't really the point, but new
content also helps keep butts in the seats.

Old graphics. So replace them. They've already done this several times
and forecast doing more of it.

Bad basic game assumptions. I see this as a better arguement than the
rest for change, for an "EQ2". There are a lot of things about EQ that
I feel were poorly thought out. Many of them have been changed
(although in many cases, I think the changes were poorly thought out
too) though, and could be changed again; I'm not really sure what bad
assumptions could exist that can't ever be changed at all.

If I jump ship from EQ, I think it more likely that it would be to some
other sort of MMOG entirely, rather than to an EQ2 (of any sort); part
of the fun of a new game for me is figuring out the new rules, roles,
ways of thinking... I'm not convinced I'd get the same effect with
something designed as a direct decendant from EQ.

Another funny thought occurs to me here. While I've been paying the
good folks running EQ (first Verant, then SOE) my $700, I've largely
stopped buying other games entirely. I can't see paying for more than
one monthly subscription at a time, and since EQ has kept my "butt in
the chair" that means I haven't tried any of the other MMOG's of its
ilk. And I likewise have had little interest in buying the Flavor of
the Week, because I used to buy a game, play it till I "finished it",
then buy another; while I used to spend on average $100 a month on new
games, now I'm down to $10 plus the occaisional $30 expansion.

If I were among the folks at SOE, I'd be hard at work figuring out the
best way to keep butts in seats, and to generate replacement butts for
the people that have decided to get up and walk. Since the majority of
their player base are level 30 to 50, I'd be hard at work on revamping
the 30 to 60 game. Since new players are by definition level 1, I'd be
hard at work on revamping the 1 to 30 game. Admittedly you can't ignore
the high end, where the 65 players live, because they are the ones who
can literally run out of content entirely... but I wouldn't be
concentrating nearly as hard on them, despite the fact that they are by
far the most vocal; gearing two expansions in a row towards that top 10%
of the population makes me wonder if they are the sort of people who
feel that a massive tax cut that helps primarily the top 10% of the
population is a good response to a crashing economy.

If I were the folks at NWN, I'd be trying to figure out a way to package
player created modules up and make cash off of them... but I don't
think I'd succede, because the way they built the game makes them sharable.

Likewise, while I'd love to see player run EQ worlds, if I was in SOE
I'd be working hard to prevent that happening because that would mean
losing the "butts in seats" fees; sadly, I think the very thing that
made NWN great is also what keeps them from seeing people continuing to
play the game as a revenue stream.

Could Bioware put together their own Persistant World, and run it on a
subscription basis? Maybe, but its hard to imagine they'd get
sufficient players to make that worthwhile. An EQ server costs (I'm
told) $24,000 to set up, and can hold about 4000 players at once. Well,
thats potentially $40,000 a month, which can pay for your CS people and
be a nice stream... but EQ works because they have dozens of those
servers, and serve about 200,000 clients; are there 100,000 NWN players
who'd pay ten bucks a month when there are PW's out there already that
are running for free?

Something funny is happening with NWN though. Its quasi open
architecture means that people are coming up with their own content, not
just in terms of modules, but hak paks that alter the game environment
itself; the latest CEP is practically an expansion all its own. Where
EQ is most lacking, in terms of new content generation, is where NWN is
strongest, there are constantly new adventures out there to play with.

I wonder if it would be possible for someone to build a PW good enough,
on a good enough server, that they might be able to get subscription
fees for it. Pay the DM's and maintenance costs with some of the cash
and keep the rest as profit? Or could module writers find a way to sell
their modules, instead of just posting them on the web for free? I'm
thinking here in terms of the sort of "microfees" model the music
industry is working on, where a song costs a buck or less; if a thousand
people buy my module at a buck thats a thousand bucks... almost enough
to make you go Hmm...

Thinking out loud
Lance

Pay for Play is against the EULA.

Mark Nelson wrote:

> Pay for Play is against the EULA.

Why did you quote my entire long screed if you didn't have any specific

OK, rant mode off.

It may be against the EULA. I was thinking in more theoretical terms,
though. What sort of business model might work, as opposed to the
current theory I've seen from both EQ and NWN, where they run their game
out for a while releasing expansions, then release a "replacement" and
try to get customers to move up.

Pay for play, selling modules, creating new content... all different
angles that I thought might be interesting to think about.

Just because the current EULA for NWN forbids a pay for play model,
doesn't mean that A) its actually legal to forbid that, B) its actually
enforceable to forbid that. Look at EQ, where sale of platinum and
items and even accounts, all certainly banned by the EQ EULA, thrive in
a multimillion dollar yearly way. And EQ is looking into changing their
EULA to accomodate that so they can cash in on some of that money
changing hands, or at least control some of the cheating its spawned.

LAnce

Lance Berg wrote:
> If I were the folks at NWN, I'd be trying to figure out a way to package
> player created modules up and make cash off of them... but I don't
> think I'd succede, because the way they built the game makes them sharable.

Err...you don't read the Biobards much, do you? :)

Bioware is in the process of implementing a pay-per-download scheme for
new content for NWN that will last at least until Dragon Age is finished
(two to three years). The Live Team is still assigned to NWN and
continuing to produce new content and fix bugs and other annoyances. No,
they can't, for legal reasons, cash in on fan-created content, but they
are not giving up on NWN (although they will not be allocating resources
to produce another full expansion).

The NWN community has been so successful in keeping NWN "alive", Bioware
has already confirmed Dragon Age will come with a game master client, a
toolset and full multiplayer functionality. They know they've got a live
one here and they are not letting it die on the vine.

> Could Bioware put together their own Persistant World, and run it on a
> subscription basis?

While PW's seem to be a major part of NWN, according to Bioware's
statistics on such things, a very small part (less than 10%) of the
registered owners of NWN play on a PW. Bioware doesn't officially
support the PW concept and you're never likely to see them do so--at
least, with NWN. DA could be a different story, but what comes out of
their fingers over on the Bioboards indicates a complete lack of
interest in crossing over into MMORPGs.

But then, they said the same kinds of things about robes...

> I wonder if it would be possible for someone to build a PW good enough,
> on a good enough server, that they might be able to get subscription
> fees for it. Pay the DM's and maintenance costs with some of the cash
> and keep the rest as profit? Or could module writers find a way to sell
> their modules, instead of just posting them on the web for free? I'm
> thinking here in terms of the sort of "microfees" model the music
> industry is working on, where a song costs a buck or less; if a thousand
> people buy my module at a buck thats a thousand bucks... almost enough
> to make you go Hmm...

Well, as stated, Bioware is working on this. The EULA included with the
toolset though makes anything created in the toolset Bioware's property.
Creators cannot legally charge people to play on a server or download a
module. OTOH, I have heard of some PW operators who charge for creating
"custom" content; i.e. you can play for free, but it you want your own
unique set of armor you have to pay a fee (typically over $100) for the
design team to create it for you. I don't know if this has been
successful or whether Bioware considers it a violation of the EULA.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

Barry Scott Will wrote:

> Well, as stated, Bioware is working on this. The EULA included with
> the toolset though makes anything created in the toolset Bioware's
> property.

I doubt if this is completely legal in every country, because custom
contents will be intellectual properties which belongs to the creator
forever.

> Creators cannot legally charge people to play on a server
> or download a module.

Full Ack, because Bioware or their publishers owns the rights of the
"server software" and therefor they can freely consolidate the terms of
commercuial use.

> OTOH, I have heard of some PW operators who
> charge for creating "custom" content; i.e. you can play for free, but
> it you want your own unique set of armor you have to pay a fee
> (typically over $100) for the design team to create it for you. I
> don't know if this has been
> successful or whether Bioware considers it a violation of the EULA.

Hmm. First of all it would be a contract between the creator and his
customer(s). I can't imagine that a third party (Bioware) may be able to
prevent such a contract.

Hans

Hans Wein wrote:
> Barry Scott Will wrote:
>

>>Well, as stated, Bioware is working on this. The EULA included with
>>the toolset though makes anything created in the toolset Bioware's
>>property.
>

> I doubt if this is completely legal in every country, because custom
> contents will be intellectual properties which belongs to the creator
> forever.

Correction: any "variations" to the game (including modules, Haks, etc.)
are not "owned" by Infogrames(Atari)/Bioware, but you do automatically
grant them a royalty-free license to redistribute your work (including
commercially) if they so desire. Not that BW would ever commercially
distribute user work, as that would alienate the community. There's also
the little matter of the EULA not being legally enforceable as a contract...

Overall, though, as long as you don't try to commercially exploit your
"variations", Atari/BW leave you alone.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications
http://www.pyric.com/

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

I read in a gamer mag somewhere were software companies, which supply games,
are seeing a decline in pay-to-play games. The more popular shot'em up games
seem to have rose to the top. Pay-to-play sites, such as The Sims, On Line
have not even attracted the crowds that the companies where expecting. Any
word(s) or input on this?

--
John, TI#003
REMOVEseeraz@aol.comREMOVE

13bears wrote:

> I read in a gamer mag somewhere were software companies, which supply games,
> are seeing a decline in pay-to-play games. The more popular shot'em up games
> seem to have rose to the top. Pay-to-play sites, such as The Sims, On Line
> have not even attracted the crowds that the companies where expecting. Any
> word(s) or input on this?

I'm surprised by the number of people around the PW I play on who find
the idea of paying a subscription for an MMORPG to be outrageous. So,
subscription games seem to go against "common sense" now.

Players on the big three MMORPGs -- Ultima Online, Everquest, and
Asheron's Call -- endlessly complained about the shortcomings of those
games. Even the most diehard fans complained. And, by all accounts, the
MMORPGs that came out afterwards have, by and large, been completely
awful. Meanwhile, there's a big glut of games on the market.

So, I think the upshot is that most gamers would rather spend $50 for a
new game, or $30 on a game from the bargain bin, that they'll play for a
month or two, then pay $20 each month to play the same game, and be
frustrated endlessly by it.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:10:05 -0400, Lance Berg wrote:

> What sort of business model might work, as opposed to the
> current theory I've seen from both EQ and NWN, where they run their game
> out for a while releasing expansions, then release a "replacement" and
> try to get customers to move up.

I am questioning your POV. Why look at this from the Co. viewpoint? I
realize we all want to know, honor, love and serve our corporate
favorites because.. well hey they give us what we want and need, no
matter if we want or need it.

Bio/Atari/etc can take care of themselves, I hope. What they and all
other corps have to contend with is the 'open source' world that is
emerging.

This is not, imo, necessarily hostile to corp interests.
Particularly if, in bio's case, the entire NWN community is viewed
one big beta testing lab. All they need to do is keep an eye on 'what's
hot what's not'. Maybe even rewarding extreme coolness with a publicized
'buyout' of their innovation which then could be developed into a centerpiece
for a new product. Basic concept design and market research done for very
little cost!

All in all however, we better stick to looking at this from a the user's side
of things. Any enlightened management must do the same.
We are driving innovation. It is the CyberUsers who are developing the new
models in business which, it seems to me, companies like Bio are fully
encouraging with their Toolset and mulitplayer support. They should have the
brains to be figuring out how to use this to their advantage. If not, they
certainly won't be at a loss for customer opinions!

Pay for play? Have fun.

Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in message news:<Vb6dnd0oq-mnV1TdRVn-tA@dejazzd.com>...
> The majority of money made off EQ seems to me to be
> from the monthly fees, not from the sales of boxes.

"A cure for cancer is nowhere near as profitable as
a treatment for cancer."
- Anonymous Medical Company Rep.

I have also played Mac subscriber games (Clan Lord) but am mainly a
fan of the NwN sort of model mainly because of the toolset. I like to
tinker and be able to create adventures while finding
stories/adventures/quests that are written for BOTH intelligent adults
and illiterate pre-schooler audiences leave me wanting. (Keep yer'
Jello, kids ... I want marsalla.) You really can't please everyone. As
an adult I seek greater complexity than an eight-year-old.

Perhaps one day entertainment (including music, TV, movies, etc.) will
be driven by creativity rather than profitability-first and by
appealling to the lowest common denominator ... and perhaps that same
day pigs will fly. ;)

Thanks for a very good post.

- Sheldon