Any opinions/suggestions on my build before I pay for it

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Hey all

Been in the process of researching and building together a new PC for a while now keep putting it off for various reasons but I'm finally going to buy the damn thing in the next couple of days (best priced store in Perth the city I'm in was closed for christmas break until today o_O)...So anyway here's my build any comments/suggestions/constructive critisism would be very very appreciated

Power Supply = SilverStone ST75ZF 750W ATX
MotherBoard = ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce650i-SLI
CPU = C2D E6600
Graphics Card = MSI 8800GTX
RAM = G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK (1GB x 2) PC2-6400
SoundCard = Creative X-Fi Platinum

Obviously it's mainly for games..My case is a ThermalTake Kandalf so I should have enough room for the GTX and I already have a HD and optical drives, though I'm thinking about buying a new 400gb hard drive to go along with it if I can afford it. Oh and my speakers are Z5500's.

I probably will be doing a small amount of OC'ing but not to any extreme level, just something to push out some extra FPS when it becomes needed down the track..so basically whatever the chip can handle without me having to raise the Voltage excessively

One thing that has been worrying me is reading all the reports on the creative forums about X-Fi noise issues with...well basically every MB now if you listen to some people on those forums...but everywhere else there doesn't seem to be as much fuss and some people are quite pleased with the X-Fi's for gaming (obviously there is better for music and such). So bit confused on that, but I figured if it doesn't work I'll RMA it or something, since there doesn't seem to really be any other option for gaming sound cards...unless someone wants to correct me on that one ^_^ (Oh btw cause I'm in Australia we can't get any of the 3 new models of X-Fi just the four originals...god knows why ;-_- )

So yes that'll be my computer, any comments?

*edit* Oh and while I'm not certain wether I will ever go SLI I would like the option(hense the large PSU and SLI MB ^_^), I'm pretty sure this computer can handle it though

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
My case is a ThermalTake Kandalf so I should have enough room for the GTX
So yes that'll be my computer, any comments?
I happened to be at a computer shop this morning looking for something when this bloke walks in with the most massive case I've ever seen. I got closer to try to see what it was, and it was the TT Kandalf. My little TT Matrix VX will fit an 8800 GTX without much problem, just so you know. Don't know if you need something that huge! He had it wide open so I could see the inners and it looked nice, however.

Otherwise, I can only comment on the ram, cpu, sound card and speakers. Very nice on all of those. Don't know much about the mobo or PSU, sorry, but 750W is definitely enough for that setup. I have similar and I went with 700W.

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Thanx for the responce ^_^

Yeah I already own the case have for some time so it's not part of the purchase, bought it ages ago under the assumtion that it was big enough and sturdy enough that it should last a lifetime :p...

Only downside is I obviously wasn't thinking when I bought it and decided since I don't move my computer much and I prefer black to silver I'd get the steel one...damn thing weighs over 20kg's empty (thats just short of 50lbs I think), probably could have gotten a lighter case...but oh well it's pretty and has tons of room so it's all good ^_^

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Thanx ^_^

I generally give everything a go, but mainly RPG's and RTS's (not a huge FPS fan though I do play them occationally)...at the moment too much WoW but once I upgrade I'm going to have a go through NWN2, Company of Heroes and a few other games I've been putting off playing till this upgrade..my poor old 9600xt just can't handle the latest gen of games :p

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Being from the States originally, I need my usual dose of violence. I prefer games with lots of killing and/or death, a morbid story line, and very large guns. :twisted:

But seriously, I prefer RPGs so I'm looking forward to trying out this new Might and Magic title. They've been trying to merge FPS and RPGs (albeit unsuccesfully) since M&M 6. Never played WoW or any WC games, too afraid because I've heard of the lives that game has ruined. Very much looking forward to Bioshock and Half-Life Episode Two (with Portal)!!!!

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Haven't read anything on the new M&M, but yeah Bioshock looks brilliant (loved System Shock 2) and Portal looks to be a lot of fun too...albiet potentially vertigo inducing :p

Oh and if you've never played WoW...avoid it...It eats your life ^_^ (70 days of gameplay and counting)

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Iwould go with eVGAs 122-CK-NF68 board.Iown two and have neve had a problem with either.Also think about a E6700 or X6800.Ialso own one of each and they perform really well.You should think about maybe throwing in a 150GB Raptor to speed things up in Gaming. I have always gone with corsiar,and the XMS2 Pro runs really strong, also the XMS2 SLI is almost as good.I run 2gbs of each in my machines. You also might want to check out the sound card made by RAZER. Its worth the look.

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Thanx for the responce

I can't really afford any of those components without downgrading something else in my system, the MB and Ram you listed are both $200Aus more than the ones I'm going for, which adds a bit more onto the system than I can afford unfortunatly and basically only provides me with extra OC'ing options which I doubt I'm going to go hardcore on anyway. Otherwise yeah I might have gone for a 680i rather than a 650i, but $450 for a motherboard is just waaayyy too much (prices over here suck)

For the hard drive, how much difference does a raptor make for gaming? I know the specs but I wasn't quite sure what apparent effect it has in use

*edit*oh and looking up the razer card atm, it looks interesting. still trying to find a decent review though, most of them lack any real commentary about how it handles games other than 'it sounds good'