MSI not installing thru GPO?

I created a MSI for the Google Toolbar and it seems to
work if I manually install it. If I "Assign" it through
the GPO to auto-install it puts it in the Add/Remove
section, but won't install it. If I tell it to Remove then
it will go thru the install. It's acting like a "Publish"
instead of an "Assign".
Any ideas?
Carlton.
3 answers Last reply
More about installing

    Carlton,

    Based on the description of the problem, it may be that you are applying
    the group policy to the users and not the computer. If an application is
    deployed in a GPO that is already applied to the user from a previous
    logon, it is available for installation in the current logon session (from
    the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel).

    However, if an application is deployed in a GPO and applied to the
    computer, the installation starts the next time the computer starts. For a
    detailed description of the Software Installation of MSI Packages via the
    GPO, please visit the link given below:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/management/swinstall.
    asp

    Srikanth N

    Now that I have a better understanding of how "Assign"
    and "Publish" work based on user, I would like to install
    apps based on user login not by computer. How can I create
    an install icon on the desktop so the user doesn't have to
    navigate to Add/Remove programs?

    The best way to install applications would be by using IntelliMirror. If
    you use IntelliMirror for applications that have been assigned to the user
    by Group Policy, the user's computer is set up with a Start menu shortcut,
    and the appropriate file associations are created in the registry. To the
    user it looks and feels as if the application were already present.
    However, the application is not fully installed until the user needs or
    wants the application.

    For more information on IntelliMirror, please visit the link given below:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/intellim
    irror.asp

    Additionally, you can visit the link given below, that has information on
    common Intellimirror deployment scenarios:

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/9/c/29cd79ef-91e7-4f3f-9769-8b02f23
    f9d00/grppolsc.exe

    Srikanth N

Microsoft Windows MSI-Microstar